Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145778 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #1185 on: August 23, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »

No Man's Sky Honest Trailer, topgek.

I have started to make a small parody of the ending, but I feel too lazy to finish it. I think it's the only game that made me some mindblowingly pissed that triggered me into making a parody or something.

I'm still a bit curious about Portals, even though I'm 98% certain they are part of the unfinished features.
I've also tested a few mods, but I doubt the moddability of the game is enough to fix any of its flaws. At least making the dialogue screen faster and not having to wait a second to perform every action is nice.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 23, 2016, 06:05:51 pm »

I'm torn about whether I should refund this game or not. Like I said before, I am enjoying playing it, though not as much as I thought it would. Also, I've been enjoying it significantly less now that I know about all of the features that it should have but doesn't. Now I can't play it without constantly going "oh gee I sure wish I could be doing X right now" which kind of ruins the experience. Also, whether HG "lied" or not, they definitely did something really shitty and I don't want to help reward them for it by allowing them to keep my money. But again, like I said, I am enjoying it and I feel like I'd probably miss it at least a little if I wasn't able to play it anymore.

* IronTomato 's head emits the sound of grinding gears

Refund it. It's not worth $60. Wait for a sale.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 23, 2016, 06:10:51 pm »

I'm torn about whether I should refund this game or not. Like I said before, I am enjoying playing it, though not as much as I thought it would. Also, I've been enjoying it significantly less now that I know about all of the features that it should have but doesn't. Now I can't play it without constantly going "oh gee I sure wish I could be doing X right now" which kind of ruins the experience. Also, whether HG "lied" or not, they definitely did something really shitty and I don't want to help reward them for it by allowing them to keep my money. But again, like I said, I am enjoying it and I feel like I'd probably miss it at least a little if I wasn't able to play it anymore.

Honestly, I enjoyed the game a lot (not as much as SPORE though). But like I said in my above post, what kills it for me is no way to get back to places you've already explored. There is no bookmark or waypoint feature built in...AT ALL, on the space map. Its just a linear ride to the center (where it repeats again! and again! and again! AND AGAIN!)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 23, 2016, 06:12:21 pm »

I decided to not refund it and now, with 10 hours logged (though about half of that was probably spent alt-tabbed), buying NMS is my biggest regret when it comes to mistaken purchases.
It was fun for 3 hours for me. I'd say the only hope you have of knowing if you'll enjoy this game long term is if you're extremely sure that you'd be interested enough by the procedural generation and nothing else.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1189 on: August 23, 2016, 06:20:30 pm »

*shrug*

I didn't get on the hype train, and as someone who suffers from anxiety, this is pretty spectacular. Only game I've bought for $60 for a loooooong time. Guess I need relaxation and mindfulness more than most :)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 23, 2016, 06:22:55 pm »

Honestly, I enjoyed the game a lot (not as much as SPORE though). But like I said in my above post, what kills it for me is no way to get back to places you've already explored. There is no bookmark or waypoint feature built in...AT ALL, on the space map. Its just a linear ride to the center (where it repeats again! and again! and again! AND AGAIN!)
:o I thought you meant a lack of a map widget, not a side-scroller in space.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 23, 2016, 06:29:34 pm »

Hey, I didn't get on the hype train either. I'm pretty sure you can find several posts by me much earlier in this thread expressing dislike for the hype long before NMS was released.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1192 on: August 23, 2016, 06:52:57 pm »

I decided to not refund it and now, with 10 hours logged (though about half of that was probably spent alt-tabbed), buying NMS is my biggest regret when it comes to mistaken purchases.
It was fun for 3 hours for me. I'd say the only hope you have of knowing if you'll enjoy this game long term is if you're extremely sure that you'd be interested enough by the procedural generation and nothing else.
Some people have gotten refunds, even with many hours played. If you feel that you want to refund it, its worth a shot

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 23, 2016, 06:56:55 pm »

Oh, I already tried. Was denied within 10 minutes.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 23, 2016, 07:03:31 pm »

Wait, someone made a mod for Spore in 2016?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 23, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »

Oh, I already tried. Was denied within 10 minutes.
Same. If you don't have actual crashing or w/e good luck.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 23, 2016, 07:48:16 pm »

Wait, someone made a mod for Spore in 2016?

yeah, though the creator rage quit and removed nearly all traces of the mod. So I found a single link that still worked and took it lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spore/comments/4r4y1w/mod_titan_spore_2016_huge_mod_not_my_own/

Works pretty well for me, though some people have crashes with titan spore. Though SPORE on anything past windows xp is kinda crash prone for a lot of people. I had issues with SPORE on windows 7 of all things, upgraded to windows 10 and it works a lot better lol. Some people find the opposite.

Keep in mind, if you have SPORE on Steam, you can't use mods (or most mods anyway). Steam spore mods have a lot of issues supposedly, but my version is on Origin.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 23, 2016, 09:10:12 pm »

Keep in mind, if you have SPORE on Steam, you can't use mods (or most mods anyway). Steam spore mods have a lot of issues supposedly, but my version is on Origin.

It seems to be working for me, aside from a few minor graphic bugs. I guess I should compare it against the video to be sure. Thanks for the link. I had just re-installed Spore because I felt like making a couple of spaceships, now I have an excuse to actually play the game.
e: Okay, looks like a few things are missing. Still, the parts that do work seem interesting enough to give it a shot.

As for NMS, I didn't really fall for the hype. I thought it might be worth buying for the exploration, but from what I've seen, all the planets seem dull and generic. On top of that, they've managed to hit most of my biggest space game pet peeves (ubiquitous life and civilized settlements, no respect for basic planetary physics, pointless limits on exploration). Maybe I'll try it once things get patched and the price drops, but right now there are plenty of things that fill its niche. If I want to explore pretty planetary systems, Space Engine is free. If I want to have space dogfights and interact with alien races, I already have X3:TC. If I want to mine and fly around on planets, I have Empyrion, etc.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:17:14 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: August 24, 2016, 09:42:29 am »

Yeah, but, like. It's one of those cone-collars to stop idiot dogs from biting out their stitches. You don't need it if you're not entirely brainless and are willing to accept the costs of your mistakes. :|

Given how few people are able to accept the costs of their mistakes, I can understand HG wanting to prevent clipping-and-death issues.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 24, 2016, 11:47:40 am »

I dunno, I feel like death makes sense when smashing your spaceship into the ground. If anything it should just be a toggle able setting. But what do I know, I don't own the game and don't plan on buying it.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 87