Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145906 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #1095 on: August 22, 2016, 04:30:39 pm »

Hello games aren't the ones who do decide about the refund. Steam is. And they know it's a "shitty" release, where people will get angry if they can't refund.

I am happy though that after watching Angry Joe's review of it... that he isn't the only one who had a similar experience to mine

Being filled with hope thinking that there might be a good game here... until quite a few hours into the game where your hit with the realization that... nope...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 22, 2016, 04:36:40 pm »

I wouldn't even call it mislead, there were just outright lies.

Rather than having people on the Internet get into a boring flame war ("It's a lie!", "No it's not!"), I want the courts involved in the process...to decide what are and are not material statements, and exactly how much damage did Sean's quotes cause to the plaintiffs (if it actually caused damage). The problem seems to be that lawsuits are expensive and can take a lot of effort for very little benefit. And there's no guarantee that the plaintiffs would have a "slam-dunk case" here.

I don't know if a court can charge someone with lying about a game (maybe false advertising but that sounds like there are technicalities for that specific charge), but you don't need a court to look at the ridiculously long list of things that Sean directly said were going to be in it, and weren't, to realize that he was just lying. The only other possible argument would be that he said what he wanted to game to be, but there is still a difference between "Yes you will be able to do that in the game" and "That's what we are aiming for".
According to this bloke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz1oFNUZ-P0

It's illegal in the UK, where Hello Games is.

I'm not a lawyer so...  8)

If you watch back over the videos (it's actually quite interesting to do so) you can hear that he never makes any actual promises about things being in that weren't, other than with multiplayer. Everything else is stated very loosely and without any specifics ("you'll be able to do that kind of thing"), and most of the stuff he's said is broadly included, just in a vastly watered down form.

So the only real concrete claim that he's lied on is multiplayer, and he can just say 'oh it's supposed to be in, but we've been having technical difficulties' and it would be hard to prove otherwise. Yeah, you can point to the lack of models and whatever, but he can say 'well we were going to represent everyone as just a big textbox saying 'playername' and there's not a lot you can do.

Not to say I agree, it's always frustrated me that games are treated as somehow a special type of product. If you bought any other product and it didn't work or kept on messing up you could, and would, return it immediately. Games get treated as though game breaking bugs and unplayability are somehow ok.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 22, 2016, 04:39:09 pm »

I wouldn't even call it mislead, there were just outright lies.

Rather than having people on the Internet get into a boring flame war ("It's a lie!", "No it's not!"), I want the courts involved in the process...to decide what are and are not material statements, and exactly how much damage did Sean's quotes cause to the plaintiffs (if it actually caused damage). The problem seems to be that lawsuits are expensive and can take a lot of effort for very little benefit. And there's no guarantee that the plaintiffs would have a "slam-dunk case" here.

I don't know if a court can charge someone with lying about a game (maybe false advertising but that sounds like there are technicalities for that specific charge), but you don't need a court to look at the ridiculously long list of things that Sean directly said were going to be in it, and weren't, to realize that he was just lying. The only other possible argument would be that he said what he wanted to game to be, but there is still a difference between "Yes you will be able to do that in the game" and "That's what we are aiming for".
According to this bloke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz1oFNUZ-P0

It's illegal in the UK, where Hello Games is.

I'm not a lawyer so...  8)

If you watch back over the videos (it's actually quite interesting to do so) you can hear that he never makes any actual promises about things being in that weren't, other than with multiplayer. Everything else is stated very loosely and without any specifics ("you'll be able to do that kind of thing"), and most of the stuff he's said is broadly included, just in a vastly watered down form.

So the only real concrete claim that he's lied on is multiplayer, and he can just say 'oh it's supposed to be in, but we've been having technical difficulties' and it would be hard to prove otherwise. Yeah, you can point to the lack of models and whatever, but he can say 'well we were going to represent everyone as just a big textbox saying 'playername' and there's not a lot you can do.

Not to say I agree, it's always frustrated me that games are treated as somehow a special type of product. If you bought any other product and it didn't work or kept on messing up you could, and would, return it immediately. Games get treated as though game breaking bugs and unplayability are somehow ok.

I don't think that's true. He makes a series of specific claims of how things work in the game which are not actually true. Eg: rotating planets, faction wars, etc...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 22, 2016, 04:42:17 pm »

I don't think that's true. He makes a series of specific claims of how things work in the game which are not actually true. Eg: rotating planets, faction wars, etc

Full economy system :P

Aliens giving you more access to their stuff if they like you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:44:14 pm by Neonivek »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 22, 2016, 04:49:52 pm »

yeah, just bring on the posts with your experiences, instead of meta complaining , that surely won't bring the discussion anywhere
"'He said, meta complaining.'
He said, meta complaining."
He said, jumping down the rabbit hole.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 22, 2016, 04:54:28 pm »

All of those things can be explained away - 'by full economy, I just meant you could buy things!!', 'by faction wars, I just meant it from a story perspective!' - he hasn't gone into anything in enough detail to be pinned down hard (although from what I understand they said that they were taking out rotating planets in the pre-launch notes).

There's also the issue that the universe is massive - if he turned around and said 'somewhere in the NMS universe these things are happening' no one could say he was wrong, without illegally reverse engineering the game (which would make it inadmissible).

I'm not saying it's excusable, I'm just saying that it would be extremely difficult to build any sort of legal case.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1101 on: August 22, 2016, 04:58:27 pm »

I don't really think so. One of the videos showed footage of a war and he's saying the player is on the edge of two faction's space which are at war, and that the player can 'pick a side and join in'. Factions don't even have 'space' as far as I've seen, much less do any kind of warfare. The video showed capital ships jumping in and duking it out, none of which I've seen happen in anyone's videos

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 22, 2016, 04:59:17 pm »

Welcome to how I feel on the Starbound thread.
Except this is totally justified

And the Starbound thread is positive now!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 22, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »

Have the people who are saying that these aren't lies watched basically any video criticizing the game ever? The evidence is damning.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 22, 2016, 06:26:55 pm »

'by faction wars, I just meant it from a story perspective!'

No, he said outright that you can warp into a system and find two massive fleets (on the order of many dozens of ships instead of a single dozen) battling it out and join one. The game fails to have massive fleets or factions fighting in any way that can really be seen.

This was also 4 months ago IIRC, so the "promises made years ago" reasoning doesn't work.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 22, 2016, 06:30:55 pm »

Have the people who are saying that these aren't lies watched basically any video criticizing the game ever? The evidence is damning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias : "I paid for this 60$, I wouldn't pay that much for a lemon game, therefore it's good"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:32:50 pm by LoSboccacc »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 22, 2016, 08:54:25 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias : "I paid for this 60$, I wouldn't pay that much for a lemon game, therefore it's good"

Not really.

I can absolutely see how people could consider this game a lemon.  I don't - I think I got exactly what I was promised and excited for - but I didn't expect things that a lot of other people seem to have read into the dev statements.  I also don't think the current state is perfect.

I'm sure that in some systems, there are huge faction battles and players can warp in and join them. But MOST systems don't have that because the procedural generation wasn't tuned that way.  See also, volcanoes in DF.  The game needs better discoverability options for sure so that players who want that can find them and other more interesting things.   But the whole focus of the game, and what the devs actually focused on in their PR, was the huge number of planets and the exploration, finding rare and interesting things (of which battles were one) amid alien backdrops. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:56:09 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 22, 2016, 08:58:24 pm »

I'm sorry, are you rationalizing that players just haven't discovered all the content yet?

That's actually unbelievably idiotic. You're doing exactly what you're denying.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 22, 2016, 09:01:47 pm »

I'm sorry, are you rationalizing that players just haven't discovered all the content yet?

That's actually unbelievably idiotic. You're doing exactly what you're denying.

How do you play DF and not realize how procedural generation works?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 22, 2016, 09:04:54 pm »

I do. You don't. I'm not participating in this any longer.
Because seriously. I don't deny that it's possible to enjoy the game, but it's absolute idiocy to somehow rationalize that the content is there but somehow not a single person has seen this supposed "feature"?

EDIT: To be clear, by "idiocy" I'm just referring to this specific rationalization. I'm not trying to attack you personally.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:14:19 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 87