Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146167 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #960 on: August 16, 2016, 02:26:36 pm »

Someone called the fuzz on me!  :-X

Help I'm being repressed!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---------

Someone posted a huge post detailing missing features here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

That's... Quite a lot of work he did there.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 16, 2016, 03:19:10 pm »

let's see people claim that the people feeling cheated were just making up reasons to be mad now, lmao

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 16, 2016, 03:45:09 pm »

A lot of those are nitpicks or a game in early development with devs being to optimistic.  Some are quite legit, most is stuff seen in trailers that they were supposedly "playing" and showing off "in real time". 

There is a lot I didn't know about this games early promises, because a LONG time ago I learned to not look to closely at ANYTHING that isn't close to being done.  I got the game I expected based on what was being shown in the past year, and am not disappointed.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #963 on: August 16, 2016, 03:53:37 pm »

Someone called the fuzz on me!  :-X

Help I'm being repressed!
REVOLT

I am scrolling through this list and slowly I realize that all of this (Planet physics, randomly generated animals (and crazy ones, to that) and everything, not-mindless ship building, the simple fact that you can travel to other Stars or even Galaxies without any loading screens just by heading straight at them, EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE FTL and so on) has been already achieved before this century even started with Shores of Hazeron... and that game was F2P until recently when Haxus (though, to be honest, I would go mad if I had to make a game like this all by myself) flipped out (and promptly had to be convinced to even let people pay for the serves so the game may not die so there's that).
So, it's completly possible, No Man's Sky developers are just liars and bad people.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 16, 2016, 03:55:25 pm »

Also I love that "No Loading screens" qualifier.

As if people don't know that you can hide loading screens...

Also keep going back... Starflight also had that.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #965 on: August 16, 2016, 04:02:36 pm »

Well, there is certainly some loading done in background but it was more about the fact that you would get into your rocket and go towards the closest star and after few hours/days (yes) you would arrive there without any interruptions, of course implying you would remember to slow down.
Also, AFAIK Starflight didin't have procedurally generated 3D landscapes on planets on which you could land (also, again, without any transitions (unlike No Man's Sky)) and all that related sky bullshit like orbits and stuff.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 16, 2016, 04:05:26 pm »

Well, there is certainly some loading done in background but it was more about the fact that you would get into your rocket and go towards the closest star and after few hours/days (yes) you would arrive there without any interruptions, of course implying you would remember to slow down

Yes but what I mean is... This is nothing special.

The reason why many games like this might have a loading screen is because instead of simply making the travel time extensive and allowing a lot of pop in, they might instead just let you go there immediately and load all the assets.

So what does NMS have? Excessive hidden load times.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 16, 2016, 04:08:21 pm »

Not trying to be the party pooper, but shouldn't the NMS-destruction / post-mortem thread be the one about refunding it?  :P
Then again, people who are playing here went mostly silent and are probably touching Grav Balls.   ::)

I wanted to talk about something but I didn't finish the game, and I don't want spoilers...but.. (beware spoilers and speculation that could be spoilers).

Spoiler: Atlas Path Ending (click to show/hide)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #968 on: August 16, 2016, 04:18:13 pm »

Yes but what I mean is... This is nothing special.

The reason why many games like this might have a loading screen is because instead of simply making the travel time extensive and allowing a lot of pop in, they might instead just let you go there immediately and load all the assets.

So what does NMS have? Excessive hidden load times.
Hey, it's easy to say that it's nothing special but then you have to consider the scale we're talking about here.
Also, you're missing my point. NMS has excessive hidden load times disguised as your regular Star Wars "hyperdrive" shit (be it interstellar or actually the faster way of going through systems) while Hazeron didin't work that way - while, yes, you could go at slow speed you could also go at warp speed, and unlike No Man's Sky, warping wasn't some kind of magical superspeed that was basically teleporting anyway, your ship was actually physically going at FTL (well, not really because it was all on computer but eh, it was fast enough) and nothing stopped you from literally going out of the door mid-flight (or possibly having and FTL dogfight, though that's very unlikely... I once had an FTL recovery mission when one ship ran out of fuel while going that fast).
Nothing also stoppd you from going at FTL through a system though that proably means you crashed into a planet/sun/somethingelse/random guy in a spaceship.
There were also wormholes that were literally teleports but whatever.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:16 pm »

Hey..I liked Hazeron way more. And NMS hyperdrive is also a 'Teleport', since I've read reports of people leaving the game on pulse drive aiming at the sun for hours and the gaming bugging out.
I'm pretty sure I heard Sean say you could slow-burn to other stars in interviews. So Hazeron is superior.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 16, 2016, 05:29:47 pm »

So, it's completly possible, No Man's Sky developers are just liars and bad people.

I don't think they're bad people (they actually seemed very likable), I just think they massively over-promised thinking they'd have time and then Sony turned round and said 'you realise you actually do have to release something playable like...very soon.' and then they had to scrap all the cool stuff that wasn't finished. They've got to deliver big releases to all consoles and PC, and they can't have that feeling like a buggy steam game.

My problem with it all though is that they're not reacting the right way to this and it'd be easily fixed. For instance, all the extra stuff about ship modding, blowing up stations, animal AI and stuff would be an easy patch or two (especially as they must have had it in some form).

If they reacted like most 'indie' devs would have ('look guys, some stuff had to get cut due to time pressures, we're trying to get it in ASAP!'), all/most would be forgiven and this whole picking apart everything wouldn't have happened. The problem is that Sony (or their own egos) got them thinking like an AAA studio and not saying anything - they've even blamed Sony for not letting them speak about some bits. They'll put out a really lame press release about it, and then they'll just go into hiding as more and more people get pissed off.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 16, 2016, 05:31:41 pm »

I don't know, sword of the stars 2 released buggy and incomplete and is still buggy and incomplete even though Kerberos were honest about what went wrong.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 16, 2016, 05:34:47 pm »

I don't know, sword of the stars 2 released buggy and incomplete and is still buggy and incomplete even though Kerberos were honest about what went wrong.
Please... please don't. That wound hurts too deep. I still cry myself to sleep over what could have been and now never will be...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 16, 2016, 05:41:22 pm »

still I  see plenty optimism around about them managing to slowly retrofit features as the game goes.

unwarranted, since they cannot change generation parameters of the galaxy without breaking everyone discoveries.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 16, 2016, 06:00:22 pm »

Or, y'know, just generate new galaxies with the updated parameters.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 87