Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146255 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #870 on: August 13, 2016, 10:29:02 pm »

Neo. He meant "attacking" in the sense of "coming at it" or "approaching".  :)

Yeah, you honestly need to avoid falling into Minecraft syndrome. Don't grab everything, just stuff that's expensive or hard to find. I keep a stack each of the four useful green resources in my ship (that's aluminum, iridium, copper, nickel), and that's all I save up, apart from warp fuel/Atlas stones. Well, that and a stack of each in-system fuel. Everything else is random crap that just sits in my suit inventory until I trash it or sell it. Nothing else is particularly hard to come by, except maybe Zinc/Platinum on a totally barren world (and seriously WTF are those doing as fruit).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 13, 2016, 10:30:17 pm »

Yeah, you honestly need to avoid falling into Minecraft syndrome. Don't grab everything

I don't get this criticism at all... 99% of the content completely locked out if you do not do this.

It is like saying that someone's complaint about the Water Temple in Zelda is invalid... because you could just skip the Water Temple and just never finish the game.

and seriously WTF are those doing as fruit

Trace Minerals extracted from the soil into the plant.

Same reason why some Tuna is high in Mercury.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:33:35 pm by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 13, 2016, 10:30:42 pm »

I was just going to mention the platinum fruit. ;)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 13, 2016, 10:34:35 pm »

Grr. Trying to find a ship model I want that I can afford is such a nightmare. Q.Q
FTFY
1. Find a planet with one of the three rare Sentinel-bait items.
2. Find an outpost on that planet with a trade terminal.
3. Run around like it's Tribes skimming the ground to collect inventories full of them.
4. Profit.

I got ~3 million units in fifteen minutes doing that. Bought myself a nifty 24-slot fighter, too.
Found a planet with two huge Emeril deposits, and got enough money to afford a decent ship. Hooray!

Also, how does one get large amounts of Nickel/Zinc? ;-;

I want to make a bunch of upgrades, but I either need that for some of them, or I need Gravitini orbs. How do you get the Gravitini orbs???

Also, I have 4 stacks of Plutonium on my ship, I basically do huge hauls of it, and then don't bother for a few planets.

I'm gonna be honest, I've just kinda been dicking around for a bit on each planet, and then going to the next one. The grinding isn't honestly that common for me. But then again, I also lack basically any Nickel/Zinc/Aluminium, so who knows.

The dicking around is fun though.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 13, 2016, 10:37:27 pm »

Grr. Trying to find a ship model I want that I can afford is such a nightmare. Q.Q
FTFY
3. Run around like it's Tribes skimming the ground to collect inventories full of them.
4. Profit.

I got ~3 million units in fifteen minutes doing that. Bought myself a nifty 24-slot fighter, too.
Found a planet with two huge Emeril deposits, and got enough money to afford a decent ship. Hooray!

I have to wonder whose idea it was to name a resource after him.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 13, 2016, 10:37:35 pm »

Yeah, you honestly need to avoid falling into Minecraft syndrome. Don't grab everything

I don't get this criticism at all... 99% of the content completely locked out if you do not do this.

It is like saying that someone's complaint about the Water Temple in Zelda is invalid... because you could just skip the Water Temple and just never finish the game.
Not so much. The amount of resources in the game is straight up ludicrous. I repaired my starter ship and was flying around in about ten minutes, faster than I'd familiarized myself with all of the controls. Some of the resources are seriously everywhere. You don't need to grab ALL of the iron, just enough to make what you want and be done with it. The game is more about spending time seeing new stuff and getting the feeling of wonder that can be achieved with "wow, that's something cool that I'm unsure how to approach," and "HOLY SHIT SPACE IS BIG," than picking up stuff. That's why you have limited inventory space.

Aside from the Atlas storyline, that's the entire point.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 13, 2016, 10:40:18 pm »

Yeah, that's why I didn't side with Atlas. I did, however
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 13, 2016, 10:55:10 pm »

Yeah this is one of those situations where I know I just have to sit back and relax until people are turned off by the game.

Like what happened to Stellaris or Starbound.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 13, 2016, 10:56:02 pm »

Yeah, Neo, I meant in the sense of impulsively hoarding EVERY SINGLE THING. That's good behavior in games with bases and lots of cheap storage, not so here. You will rarely need more than a stack of anything (even when upgrading a ton of stuff all at once--I only run out when I buy a new ship and have to build something like a dozen upgrades). I haven't farmed for anything except the grav-balls, I just take a shopping list approach and then go fuck around doing stuff. If I see an uncommon/rare material that I don't have a full stack of, I grab it and keep doing whatever I was doing.

All the common materials are literal trash. You can't walk five feet without stumbling over hundreds of iron/carbon/whatever.

FTFY
4. Profit.

Also, how does one get large amounts of Nickel/Zinc? ;-;

I want to make a bunch of upgrades, but I either need that for some of them, or I need Gravitini orbs. How do you get the Gravitini orbs???

Also, I have 4 stacks of Plutonium on my ship, I basically do huge hauls of it, and then don't bother for a few planets.

I'm gonna be honest, I've just kinda been dicking around for a bit on each planet, and then going to the next one. The grinding isn't honestly that common for me. But then again, I also lack basically any Nickel/Zinc/Aluminium, so who knows.

Nickel: Shoot asteroids. Same with copper. The big ones.
Zinc: Little yellow plants with bulbs. The yellow bar icon (oxides, I think) on the scanner. Usually just a single symbol alone. Grab whenever you see, stop when you have a full stack.
Aluminum: I think it's just as yellow crystals (same as the plutonium ones, except a different color). Same scanner icon as Zinc, usually either one or two to three clustered together.

The Grav orbs are one of three rare items which are infrequent but absolutely shotgunned all over the planets that do have them. The others are these gross pearl things and... something else. Don't remember what. They show up as white-green equal-sided diamonds with exclamation marks on the scanner. Visually they're yellow spheres when far away, but they glow blindingly up close. Picking them up instantly gives you three-star wanted rating, so a cheetah and two drones, which is handy if you want to grab some quick titanium.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:57:54 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 13, 2016, 11:00:03 pm »

Yeah, Neo, I meant in the sense of impulsively hoarding EVERY SINGLE THING.

I don't do that. Though the game sure is mean about storage space... I honestly thought a space station would have a storage locker or something.

Better yet some upgrades, items, fixes require full stacks or almost full stacks. (Yeah just... make sure you have 500 uhh... of the Blue stuff. Luckily ship stacks are double in maximum)

Also make sure you have a ship full stack of Titanium maybe two.

As well two full stacks of plutonium is a good amount.

One stack of Thalium is enough... as nothing uses a particular lot.

Always have a stack of Carbon and Iron. Carbon is one of the secretly more valuable resources in the game if you know how to use it. Iron has a lot of uses, it just saves time to have a stack as opposed to hunting it down everytime it is necessary.

I think that concludes all the essentials... Personally I prefer three stacks of Plutonium. It puts the stress out of recollecting it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 11:03:20 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 13, 2016, 11:03:16 pm »

You mean the infinite dialogue loop? Heh, you only really need a couple doses for that, asking them for fuel will give you another hundred or so.

If you need inventory space, build bypass chips (10 iron and plutonium), use them on the orange beacons, search for... shit. "Shelter", I think. Maybe. It's the last one on the list IIRC. If it shows you a drop pod, that's a suit inventory space you can get. First one is free, each after costs 10k units more than the previous one. I think my suit's up to like thirty slots right now. Apparently you can also get suit expansions in the space station Atlas v1 chambers after you get that card.

On those same beacons, "Transmission" will give you observatories or antenna-somethings. The latter will lead you to wrecked ships.
"Outpost" will give you major buildings, including Manufacturing Centers and the control-thingies, which give advanced tech.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 13, 2016, 11:04:06 pm »

I have almost maxed out my suit (and can max it out at my leisure). Or close to it at least.

Ship... is gonna take a while... But I don't think I am going to repair any ships unless they are significantly better.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 13, 2016, 11:04:53 pm »

I don't know if everyone else has discovered that, but I realized that you can learn alien words much quicker than through ruins if you just farm a few stacks of carbon and keep interacting with an NPC. As long as you select an option, the bottom one will alternate between learning a word and recharging shields. When the top option is "request fuel" or "request isotope" I do that instead of recharge shields because it gives me back 50 carbon to keep going.

What's annoying is that the transitions and clicks are slow but it still beats flying around from monolith to monolith, in terms of learning speed. Maybe the vocabulary is different though. Oh and it can probably complement monolith farming since you can request gifts in exchange for that race's relics that you receive when you get the right answer from monoliths. Not sure what those gifts are yet though, but I'm guessing blueprints.

Edit : aha in the time it took for me to write this, people have already mentioned it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:17:38 am by Sirian »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 13, 2016, 11:06:46 pm »

Yep. That's exactly what I was talking about above.

If you do your observatories alongside the shipwreck breadcrumbs, you get so many ruins that you don't really need the loop at all. Those are, what, like six words each on average? Usually with a chance for an upgraded multitool/free tech/&c.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 13, 2016, 11:08:55 pm »

I'll play more when my burn out wears off.

But goodness I never got videogame burn out this bad in a long time. Then again playing all night being continuously 4 minutes away from my objective because I HAVE TO EXPLORE EVERY SINGLE THING THAT POPS UP!

On the plus side aliens love me... not sure... why
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 87