Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146250 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #855 on: August 13, 2016, 09:46:58 pm »

You could always try refunding it anyways, I suppose. For false advertising, for instance.

I wish but typically Steam will announce opening themselves up for those claims.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 13, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »

Good luck with that one. At least have the decency to lie about it not running on your system and that all those hours were in the startup screen.  :P

Grr. Trying to find a ship model I want that I can afford is such a nightmare. Q.Q
FTFY
1. Find a planet with one of the three rare Sentinel-bait items.
2. Find an outpost on that planet with a trade terminal.
3. Run around like it's Tribes skimming the ground to collect inventories full of them.
4. Profit.

I got ~3 million units in fifteen minutes doing that. Bought myself a nifty 24-slot fighter, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Surprisingly, the space combat is actually decent. Arcade-ish, but decent. Got jumped by four pirate fighters in my crappy old ship with no gun upgrades, nearly died a couple times there.

Tip! Use the Mining Laser on the ship for Dog Fights... The enemy can maneuver WAY better than you can making dog fighting against ships nearly useless.
That's the thing, though. You don't have to grind at all. Nothing forces it. Once you have the blueprint sequence to make warp cores, you can very easily go all the way to the galactic core without ever building an upgrade (save maybe one of the cheap environmental shields for really hazardous planets). The difficulty doesn't change substantially; you can avoid Sentinels and wildlife altogether on most worlds, and the most basic (read: a handful of iron + plutonium &c.) upgrades to your multitool are enough to kill the tougher ones and mine decently fast.

All of the grinding is entirely optional. If you're doing it, either you enjoy it or you're looking at the game through that MMO mindset. It's the former for me--I like trying to find ships and multitools as close to perfect as I can get and kit them out with the best upgrades I can manage. I don't need to, but I want to. I mean, you could probably make an argument about the jetpack/shield/life support upgrades... except those take two minutes of gathering on any planet to build.

Also the photon cannon is totally better because it's slightly gimballed apparently, free tracking is free kills. ^^

--

An aside, something else they don't tell you: the jetpack upgrades attach to shield upgrades, not the jetpack. I was wondering for sixteen hours why they had jetpack upgrades if the jetpack had no adjacent tiles. >.<

e: Apparently there are star classes, which affect the quality of planets around them.
The experimental branch is up.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:56:34 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »

All of the grinding is entirely optional

Sure you know... I could skip 99% of the game's content.

I don't need weapon, suit, or ship upgrades... Heck I don't even need to fix my ship or get Hyperdrive.

I don't need money, the ability to understand aliens, searching alien ruins, or any of that.

I don't even need to survive Dog Fights, I can let pirate attacks just instantly kill me.

COMPLETELY OPTIONAL!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:59:17 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 13, 2016, 09:59:23 pm »

Frankly, at this point the ship+suit+multitool grind is peripheral. It's just there for munchkins to optimize and to make the exploratory experience smoother and faster. All having a capped ship, suit, &c. does is make the game easy. All of the functions still perform the same way, just faster and longer without recharging/cooling. Maybe once there's more end-goal content tied to it...

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 13, 2016, 10:00:25 pm »

Frankly, at this point the ship+suit+multitool grind is peripheral. It's just there for munchkins to optimize and to make the exploratory experience smoother and faster. All having a capped ship, suit, &c. does is make the game easy. All of the functions still perform the same way, just faster and longer without recharging/cooling. Maybe once there's more end-goal content tied to it...

And hmm what do you have to do to get to other planets? Ohh right... Grind. Stars? Grind.

How do you get more fuel? Grind. How do you get more health once damaged? Grind.

Not seeing this "Completely optional grinding" unless by optional grinding you mean I don't have to grind rocks into dust... which isn't optional you have to do it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:04:04 pm by Neonivek »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 13, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »

Ok after playing this for. 7 hours I can officially say!
I didn't think it was just this extremely boring.
You played an "extremely boring" game for 7 hours?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 13, 2016, 10:02:31 pm »

Ok after playing this for. 7 hours I can officially say!
I didn't think it was just this extremely boring.
You played an "extremely boring" game for 7 hours?

I binge

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 13, 2016, 10:03:49 pm »

Just Steam review syndrome. Someone plays a game for X hours and concludes that it sucks. Then keeps playing it. :|

And hmm what do you have to do to get to other planets? Ohh right... Grind.
Uh. Lol. No. You have to shoot a plutonium crystal (one every five steps). Once in space, you have to shoot an asteroid (one every ten meters, approximately). Even warp fuel is pretty fast, maybe ~2-3 minutes to make a batch if you have no resources on you at all. That's all you have to do. If you're on a planet with no fuel of any sort, that's maybe ten minutes tops before you're in hyperspace to another system. If it's just intrasystem, a minute or two at the most.

What I'm saying is that the vast majority of the grind is almost totally pointless if you don't enjoy it for what it is. It's pretty sucky. The actual Point A to Point B "grind" is trivial.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 13, 2016, 10:05:34 pm »

You have to shoot a plutonium crystal (one every five steps).

That is for Lift Off... You need Thalium for Thrust... and you need a ton of other resources for Warp (requiring you to go to a resource base unless you got the recipe)

This is ignoring the grinding you need to repair them... And sometimes you will have to repair them more than once.

What I'm saying is that the vast majority of the grind is almost totally pointless if you don't enjoy it for what it is

It is entirely necessary for the game AND it is where the vast majority of the game's content comes from.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 13, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »

He mentioned Thalium9, right after plutonium. Also warp, which was in the same sentence.

I really hate to be rude, but are you being purposefully obtuse again?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 13, 2016, 10:14:41 pm »

I honestly thought the game would get the a point where you wouldn't need to grind anymore.

uuugh!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 13, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »

You might be attacking the game from the wrong angle. I only played it for a couple of hours, but instead of picking up every last single scrap of something, grab what you need, set your goals, and go do them. Let yourself have the "holy shit WTF is that!?" moments. Accidentally fall into cave systems and ignore resources unless you need them. Stop grinding. Explore.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 13, 2016, 10:24:12 pm »

The infinite asteroids and space fog seems like a terrible idea to me, personally. I can guess why they did both:
1. The player might run out of fuel! I know! We can just add infinite fuel-bearing asteroids throughout space, densely packed literally everywhere so it's impossible to miss them!
2. Wait, if we don't restrict view distance, the infinite asteroids will make it impossible to see anything but asteroids, and will ruin graphical performance besides. I know, we can just add space fog!
3. You can't see the stars, moons, the local sun(s), or planets anymore until you're right on top of them! Uh... Oh well, I guess.

But the problem they "solve" is "The player might potentially run out of fuel in space," and Noctis solved it in a far better way by actually letting you turn on a distress beacon and call for help if you ran out of fuel, whereupon another stardrifter arrived and gave you a bit of fuel (enough to get to a Li+ star to refuel fully).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 13, 2016, 10:25:00 pm »

You might be attacking the game from the wrong angle

Attacking the game?

This was my honest experience with the game. Don't lump me in with people who just attack the game for no reason... Unless...

Wait a minute: Honest Complain + Jump down throat = OHH goodness!

Ok seriously people this needs to stop!

But the problem they "solve" is "The player might potentially run out of fuel in space," and Noctis solved it in a far better way by actually letting you turn on a distress beacon and call for help if you ran out of fuel, whereupon another stardrifter arrived and gave you a bit of fuel (enough to get to a Li+ star to refuel fully).

It is what the game is made of unfortunately.

What are the four most abundant resources in the game? Carbon, Iron (so far so good), Plutonium, and Thalium (Wait what?)

And goodness is Plutonium just a constant sink of your doing planet exploration. Basically every 4 locations you need a full stack of Plutonium again... so I guess they were right in that you need a constant plutonium mainline.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:28:45 pm by Neonivek »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 13, 2016, 10:28:19 pm »

Not jumping down your throat, man. You do have a history of sometimes being obtuse. That said, if you don't like the game, that's not my problem. I just sell them and play them, not mandate that other people like what I like. By "attacking the game," I meant "playing the game as if it were a problem to be solved," not "giving unwarranted negative criticism."

You do you, bro.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 87