Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146214 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #795 on: August 13, 2016, 01:26:45 am »

If the game has a seed like minecraft, could you post yours?

It doesn't have a seed, everyone is playing in the same universe.  You're placed randomly at the start.

The thing that really bugged me about spaceflight was that you can't look around in your cockpit.  I mean I know it's not a flight sim but not having a button to unlock the camera and look around is a pretty huge oversight in a game where exploring neat places is pretty much the only selling point.

You can though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 13, 2016, 01:30:13 am »

Glad that NMS PC failed miserably.

It's not just PC. I'm seeing many reports on the PS4 message boards about people getting multiple crashes per hour, and saves being corrupted daily.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 13, 2016, 01:30:16 am »

Oh no, I definitely wouldn't call NMS for PC or PS4 a miserable failure. I decided to buy it since I really suck at not buying any given game, and I'm having a relatively fun time with it.
Definitely not a great game, but it's okay. I can just see it getting old quick, though.'

And who cares about crashing, not being able to play, or 2 FPS? The worst problem with NMS is the fact that YOU CAN'T ALT TAB FROM IT RRRRGHHHHH.

o.O I didn't know about any alt-tabbing issues. I do run a dual monitor setup though. Have you tried running the game in borderless fullscreen?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:37:58 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 13, 2016, 02:13:30 am »

Try setting it up for borderless fullscreen and then running the exe from an explorer window (instead of steam, or the start menu) for some lulz.

(It can fuck up and make the explorer window borderless instead of the game.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 13, 2016, 02:36:39 am »

I just had that one.  I opened the game in borderless window mode and it was a little bordered window while one of my browser windows became full-screen borderless.  This isn't just a regular bug, this is advanced fucking up.  HOw do you even do that.

You can though.

You want to tell me how?

I actually found an interesting terrain feature that I haven't seen before.  Big basins with overhanging rims, like bubbles dug into the surface.  I'm sure i'll see more of the same thing soon though.  In other areas it feels like the game is actively working to defeat my attempts to get something out of it.  As I was heading down on the southern pole of the planet (planets don't seem to have ice caps, or even biomes for that matter.  This part of the planet might sort of look different but not significantly) I saw these noxious green lines tracing across it like lightning bolts, which I thought might be some kind of rifts or something, but as I got closer I saw that, no, it's nothing interesting.  It's just texture popping for the generic mottled planet color scheme.

For the short periods I can turn off my brain and take in the experience it can be pretty neat.  I had the classic KSP moment a bit ago, landing on a planet thinking I"m a few feet from my destination and finding I'm actually miles away.

But there's so many weird design decisions that I guess were there to add more content but just end up making everything flatter and more homogeneous.

Every planet seems to be very actively patrolled by ships and drones, the ships fly by every couple minutes at least.  I never feel alone out here.  I thought it sounded cool to be do the Spaceman Spiff thing, a lone wayfarer out in the depths of space, finding things nobody's found before, but everywhere I go there's cops everywhere and a fucking McDonald's.  I'm sure if I could fly through the galaxy at lightspeed and see everything on every planet I"d find a roughly homogeneous distribution of features and resources on every planet, like the Gek just flung their garbage all over everything. 

Nowhere I go feels remote or undiscovered.  There's constantly signs of active, current habitation. 

Starbound gets this part right, at least.  You do find other habitation pretty often, and all the planets are pretty lively, but not like this.  When I find stuff in Starbound it stands out.  A campsite with the camper long gone.  Collapsed houses and rows of gravestones.  A mine with a single dude camped out front.  Or big thriving cities full of people. 

You get what I mean with that?  The things in Starbound, probably because they're semi-scripted, stick out in my mind more than this.  In this it's just "oh, there's another space trailer about the same distance as the last one I found.  Oh, it's got a save point and an upgrade in it.

Also, and this is a nitpick, as a flight sim player the way you land in this game triggers me really bad.  I would gladly waste another ten seconds on the landing animation if it meant you didn't slam your shit into the ground like you're mad at it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:19:08 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 13, 2016, 03:20:38 am »

I just had that one.  I opened the game in borderless window mode and it was a little bordered window while one of my browser windows became full-screen borderless.  This isn't just a regular bug, this is advanced fucking up.  HOw do you even do that.

You can though.

You want to tell me how?

Right analog stick.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 13, 2016, 03:27:12 am »

YOU CAN'T ALT TAB FROM IT RRRRGHHHHH.
If you on onto steam after alt-tabbing, and press Play from there it'll go to the game again. Or you can access it via task manager.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 13, 2016, 03:44:38 am »

For the short periods I can turn off my brain and take in the experience it can be pretty neat.  I had the classic KSP moment a bit ago, landing on a planet thinking I"m a few feet from my destination and finding I'm actually miles away.

You kind of make me want to play KSP again. With Ktolemy, heh heh. Apparently it's been updated for the modern KSP, and the sun doesn't burninate anything anymore!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 13, 2016, 03:56:17 am »

I dunno if I will.  My friend was just pissed a few hours ago that they've changed the physics model and nothing he did works and asking people for tips on how to adapt is useless cause they're all like "get better" or "it works fine for me."

Did the other KSP thing.  When I found the arch in KSP it took me like five tries cause I thought I was landing like five minutes away only to realize I was like a hundred kilometers away.  Then when I actually got to it I was expecting it to be like ten feet tall or something and it ended up being so gigantic I barely survived climbing up and back down.

Also as a bonus I got there right as Kerbin eclipsed the sun, which was pretty sweet.

I found a planet littered in these stone monoliths, big cylinders with flat, rectangular tops.  They look like concrete bridge supports.  Just like with the other thing I felt like I was maybe a hundred feet off the ground and the monoliths were maybe fifteen feet tall, then I get on the ground and they're fucking enormous.
Shoes...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 13, 2016, 04:21:04 am »

you better stop criticising the game, Cthulhu, or FD will send you an insulting PM to try and stop you from posting like he sent to me
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:23:42 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 13, 2016, 04:34:01 am »

I'm sorry but the fact that the game shipped in such a terrible state for PC is inexcusable. Yes they probably will patch it out and shit might get fixed in the coming weeks or months but this should not have happened. Not just NMS mind you but it's a terrific example of a rather sad trend of broken games shipping out as finished products (Arkham Knight anyone?).

And no, "It works fine for some people" is not a valid excuse. The fact that crashes, FPS drops and the game not working properly in general is so widespread on release is like I said, inexcusable.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:29:51 am by Krevsin »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 13, 2016, 04:59:36 am »

you better stop criticising the game, Cthulhu, or FD will send you an insulting PM to try and stop you from posting like he sent to me

Jeeze, seriously?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 13, 2016, 05:16:14 am »

I can sort of of reason away sentinels as a self-replicating menace sprung upon the galaxy by some ancient civ of alien hippies, but a live space station in every solar system ? wtf.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 13, 2016, 05:35:25 am »

I played this very briefly with a buddy and, wow... this really isn't what I thought. Maybe we were unlucky, but the game seems to be veeery repetitive. According to him, it doesn't really get much better, too.

I guess I'll wait for a sale before I sit down with it and try it out for myself. Kind of sad, really. I'm a real sucker for sci-fi games.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 13, 2016, 07:31:17 am »

Basically the lesson is - content comes first. If you have engaging and varied procedurally generated content, the scenery can be bland and the game will still be good and have longevity, as demonstrated by many examples we have come to know and cherish well past the point of aging graphics. Clearly it doesn't work nearly as well the other way around... all show and no substance indeed it seems unfortunately.

Then again, procedural generation of this type is somewhat new to console gamers so let them have their silly, shallow fun.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:39:07 am by Mookzen »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 87