Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146012 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #675 on: August 12, 2016, 08:56:15 am »

I'm not surprised... I didn't really expect much depth from the game. I don't see how anyone could have. Nothing that was shown or said (as far as I know) suggested that there would be deep meaningful gameplay.

Anyway, I was just trying to find out what exactly was misleading or outright lied about. So far nobody has been able to tell me.

I've seen multiple interviews where the devs say this is just a game to chill out and enjoy. Not once did I see anyone claim any kind of deep complex gameplay. The closest they came was comparing it to a roguelike which I really don't agree with but the term is so overused these days that it's nearly meaningless.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 12, 2016, 09:00:26 am »

Actually, if from what I have been vaguely spoiled on is true- no, I'm not going to look into that any more without playing to it myself. :V

And can the "two inches deep, a million miles wide" meme go away? It was barely clever and insightful the first time that phrase was used, and lazy reviewers have been repeating it verbatim for years now. I think we've heard it applied to every one of the current gen SPACE games by now, and it's not really true for any of them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #677 on: August 12, 2016, 09:04:35 am »

Hell, I have seen it applied to Skyrim before. I have nearly 1000 hours in Skyrim so if that meme is true, apparently I love splashing around in big puddles.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 12, 2016, 09:12:27 am »

That's not the point. The point is that Sony has been hyping this game up a ridiculous amount since before it was even properly revealed at E3 2014. It's a niche game. They hyped it up and advertised it to mainstream audiences and made it seem like it had something for everyone. Of course people are going to feel cheated.

I have literally never seen an advertisement for No Man's Sky so I have to assume this is the kind of pumping up that you only really notice when you specifically keep a finger on the pulse of this kind of thing. That seems like the exact opposite of marketing to everyone.
i've seen ridiculous hype posts on image sharing sites like imgur basically every month or so. about a month ago i saw an advertisement on strawpoll for the game. also, journalism sites have been gushing about it for literal years. not tempered "this is interesting" articles, but serious gushing "THIS IS THE NEXT BIG THING!!!" articles. it's viral marketing. they succeeded in hyping their niche game up towards mainstream audiences, which is really scummy, and it backfired. am i supposed to have compassion for such an obvious moneygrab?

also, forsaken, i expected more or less exactly this game (which is why i didnt buy it). most people seem to have expected some sort of space mmo with an economy or something like that.

and really, this article is a pretty good example. it talks about all these things you can do in the game, and people will naturally assume that the game supports those things at least a little. except the only thing it really supports is flying around and exploring planets. but sure, TECHNICALLY they didn't lie, because you can play pretend that those things still exist, right?

You know that that article making a big deal of everything is most likely not the devs'/sony's fault. That editor writes for a website which makes money from views. He's not going to write a tame and tempered article. Journalists oversensationalize things that's just what they more or less always do when money is involved, it sells more. They're in the business of making everything into a big deal and often enough "embellishing" the truth to make it more interesting. The more popular the game got, the more viewers there were for it and the more the various sites wanted a piece of that revenue and actively tried to attract and grow that base.

If anything is to blame for the overhyping it's what passes for journalism trying to make a quick buck.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:18:50 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 12, 2016, 09:16:39 am »

Hell, I have seen it applied to Skyrim before. I have nearly 1000 hours in Skyrim so if that meme is true, apparently I love splashing around in big puddles.

"I'll never you promise you a garden, you'll just water me down" - Marilyn Manson, Slutgarden

I have 853 hours in Dominions 4, which is the most I have for any game on Steam. Apparently I like my games ocean-deep and just as complicated.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #680 on: August 12, 2016, 09:20:57 am »

You know that that article making a big deal of everything is most likely not the devs'/sony's fault. That editor writes for a website which makes money from views. He's not going to write a tame and tempered article. Journalists oversensationalize things that's just what they more or less always do when money is involved, it sells more. They're in the business of making everything into a big deal and often enough "embellishing" the truth to make it more interesting.
Yeah, I didn't even address it because it's an opinion piece written 2 years ago based loosely off some statements from the devs and mostly fueled by the editor's hopes. It's not a legit source of any credibility.

If that is the only thing backing up the "omg we were lied to!!" statement then I'm going to have to consider it specious.

"I'll never you promise you a garden, you'll just water me down" - Marilyn Manson, Slutgarden

I have 853 hours in Dominions 4, which is the most I have for any game on Steam. Apparently I like my games ocean-deep and just as complicated.
I too love Dominions 4! That game is amazing. Ugly as sin, but amazing. No idea how many hours I have because I don't own it through steam. but I'd estimate 500-600

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 12, 2016, 09:23:04 am »

Seriously, look at this other article by the same guy from a couple days ago. http://www.polygon.com/no-mans-sky/2016/8/9/12403284/your-biggest-no-man-s-sky-questions-answered

"No Man's Sky is, in the broadest possible sense, an open-world sandbox game. Think of it like Grand Theft Auto, except the size of a universe. "

If anyone's to blame, people like him are.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 12, 2016, 09:24:01 am »

That's not the point. The point is that Sony has been hyping this game up a ridiculous amount since before it was even properly revealed at E3 2014. It's a niche game. They hyped it up and advertised it to mainstream audiences and made it seem like it had something for everyone. Of course people are going to feel cheated.

I have literally never seen an advertisement for No Man's Sky so I have to assume this is the kind of pumping up that you only really notice when you specifically keep a finger on the pulse of this kind of thing. That seems like the exact opposite of marketing to everyone.

do you think Colbert interviews are honest interest? Those things are scripted, vetted, prepared and are indeed advertisement, masqueraded behind a thin veil of "journalism" - or do you think it's a coincidence ppl show up at talk shows right before releasing something?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 12, 2016, 09:26:11 am »

do you think Colbert interviews are honest interest? Those things are scripted, vetted, prepared and are indeed advertisement, masqueraded behind a thin veil of "journalism" - or do you think it's a coincidence ppl show up at talk shows right before releasing something?

People show up at talk shows just before release because it makes the talkshow money. The talkshow wouldn't have them if it wasn't going to be sensational.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #684 on: August 12, 2016, 09:27:48 am »

People show up at talk shows just before release because it makes the talkshow money. The talkshow wouldn't have them if it wasn't going to be sensational.
Well yes, but in that same vein they wouldn't bother doing it if it didn't also have some return for the person showing up. Doing it before a product release lets you reach additional audiences, or remind people of the impending release, which theoretically drives more sales.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 12, 2016, 09:31:37 am »

Of course, the person showing up does so to get more coverage, but the talkshow will want to make sure everything is sensationalized. Go have a watch at those talkshow interviews and see how most questions are loaded to made everything into a big deal.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 12, 2016, 09:35:34 am »

Also, what the hell do Colbert interviews have to do with anything?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 12, 2016, 09:36:26 am »

You know that that article making a big deal of everything is most likely not the devs'/sony's fault. That editor writes for a website which makes money from views. He's not going to write a tame and tempered article. Journalists oversensationalize things that's just what they more or less always do when money is involved, it sells more. They're in the business of making everything into a big deal and often enough "embellishing" the truth to make it more interesting.
Yeah, I didn't even address it because it's an opinion piece written 2 years ago based loosely off some statements from the devs and mostly fueled by the editor's hopes. It's not a legit source of any credibility.

If that is the only thing backing up the "omg we were lied to!!" statement then I'm going to have to consider it specious.

except that's been literally every article about the game

sony hyped it up to shit and now they're dealing with the consequences. they shouldnt have sold a niche indie game as a big AAA title

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 12, 2016, 09:37:04 am »

Also, what the hell do Colbert interviews have to do with anything?

he asked where advertisement where ran and where hype came from. that's part of it. not only tv ad segments are advertisement, you know?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 12, 2016, 09:37:22 am »

Uh no, that's not an advertisement an it's content. The interview is the thing you're there for, sure you go on tv to plug your thing but describing a television appearance as an advertising campaign is ridiculous. It's also ridiculous to act like late night television is masquerading as journalism- it's pure topical entertainment and has no pretensions of being anything greater. What massive advertising campaign was there to mislead people?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 87