Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145981 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #630 on: August 11, 2016, 06:23:28 pm »

Nah, Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer.

And to clarify, I totally understand that NMS isn't for everyone. But it's annoying when people who clearly don't want the experience it delivers seem determined to bitch and moan about how it isn't whatever they were projecting onto it... instead of going to play the game that they want to play. That was one of the points Sean repeatedly drove home in interviews, what NMS isn't, and that people who want those other experiences should play games that cater to them.

It's obnoxious that the signal-to-noise ratio is so bad that we can't even talk about the actual problems with the game because everything is being sucked into the "this is why I'm going to pirate and play it 'ironically' for a hundred hours lel xD nomanbuys" circlejerk.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:30:35 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 11, 2016, 06:33:50 pm »

It's obnoxious that the signal-to-noise ratio is so bad that we can't even talk about the actual problems with the game because everything is being sucked into the "this is why I'm going to pirate and play it 'ironically' for a hundred hours lel xD nomanbuys" circlejerk.

Did you expect anything else? Sometimes it's a bit like /v/ in here, no one seems to actually play shit. Just complain about it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 11, 2016, 06:34:36 pm »

I wish the OP was around so I could request that the thread title be changed to No Man's Hype.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 11, 2016, 06:39:07 pm »

Did you expect anything else? Sometimes it's a bit like /v/ in here, no one seems to actually play shit. Just complain about it.

I mean, I'd entertained vague hopes of slightly less juvenile discourse, but silly me.

Speaking of, the bitching reached such proportions that it brought down reddit.
Spoiler: No Man's Cry (click to show/hide)
/s

On a more useful note, the NMS sub put together a list of mechanic tricks and tips which I guess will only be useful once it's back up.

e: Also, news:

1. No preload.
2. Game download is 2.6 GB
3. Release time is 6PM BST, not GMT (which means 1PM EST &c. &c.) tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:46:38 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 11, 2016, 06:41:20 pm »

I haven't really followed this game in the last year, or the drama surrounding it, but I looked into it recently, and I don't think it's for me. My two cents on the game are as follows.

The sentence that stood out to me from the Jim Sterling review was "The game’s biggest feature – that no one planet is the same – means very little when your interactions on each one are practically identical." That in itself articulates why this game isn't for me. The main reason that DF and Space Station 13 are two of my favourite games is the massive potential for emergent gameplay in both games. No round is ever the same in SS13, and few forts ever play the same. A wave of meteors or a megabeast can completely change the dynamic of the round/fort, and a good antagonist in SS13 can make for a game you'll never forget.

From what I see, there's none of that in this game. All I've heard from my few friends who have this game sounds the exact same. "I went to this planet with these weird creatures on it," and the limited amount I've played it with a friend seems to stay true to that. You travel between planets collecting resources and running out of inventory space. The problem is it all feels so pointless. Proc gen content doesn't matter if your interactions with it are repeated, and DF stands out to me as an example of a game that uses proc gen content to specifically craft stories and create exciting emergent gameplay. But Fallout 4 is a nice counterpoint to that, with the Radiant quests being randomly generated, but also the most tedious and annoying part of that game, failing to create any meaningful content or interactions. In the case of No Man's Sky, it seems that the procgen is just used as a landscape, an environment that you traverse through as you gather resources ad infinitum. If there's no variables in play to throw you for a loop, the game will inevitably get stale, and quick. Even story-based games can throw you for a loop with an interesting twist, creating new exciting scenarios for the player to delve into. However, the same experience with a different backdrop makes for a dull game. There's only so many times you can mine resources, only so many times you can kill an animal and then deal with the janky gunplay as you fend off the sentinals, and only so many times you can see the same permutations of animal/plant/planet before it all begins to grate, and I feel like that would come all too quickly in NMS. I've been playing SS13 since 09, and I still enjoy it. I still have crazy rounds in it that make great stories. But I can't see anything like that coming out of NMS. It seems like a game of pointless busywork in beautiful environments, and if I wanted that, I'd go back to my old job at the Conservation Authority. With my limited time, I want a game I can play in short bursts and have a ton of fun. Normally I'd like just chilling and exploring, but when there's nothing to sustain the exploration besides cosmetics and a vaguely defined endgoal that comes after hours of repeating the same mundane actions, why would I want to play this?

(That's an actual question btw, not rhetorical. Is there something I'm missing in NMS that can provide lasting enjoyment? I doubt I'll buy it when it's out for PC, but B12 has changed my mind on many games before, and I'd like to see discussion in this thread that isn't just tearing apart the game based on what it isn't, but instead what it does and how it does it, whether that may be good or bad.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 11, 2016, 06:45:47 pm »

That's pretty much spot-on for why a lot of people don't like it. It's not a game that's about "doing things" in the sense of "I do X, then I do Y, then I do Z and the plot progresses", so much as "Doing things. Period."

It's the equivalent of a walk in the woods rather than a football match.

I mean, there's also the fact that this is the bare-bones version they had ready for launch, and we already have confirmation of large player-owned ships and basebuilding in a future update. I expect that they'll be adding more "things" in the former sense as time goes on. Which is cool, and I guess I'll have fun with that, but it's not really the main draw for me.

Take Space Engineers as an example. The whole "doing things" in that never really did it for me. I enjoyed the really simple loop of "drift through space, find resources, mine resources, drift through space, build a bit more, repeat" more than the wham-kerpow-bazinga of crashing shit together and shooting guns. And there are people who were just the opposite, which is fine.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 11, 2016, 06:50:19 pm »

On a more useful note, the stoner NMS sub put together a list of mechanic tricks and tips which I guess will only be useful once it's back up.

e: Also, news:

1. No preload.
2. Game download is 2.6 GB
3. Release time is 6PM BST, not GMT (which means 1PM EST &c. &c.) tomorrow.

Thanks! I'll check those tricks.
And I have a dentist appointment at 3PM, damn it (I think it releases 2PM for me). But at least I'll be able to leave it downloading and play it ~2h after release.
I thought the game was 6GB, though? huh.

-snip-

From me, I don't really have anything to tell you to change your opinion. A good amount of pages back I said it's sad that, unlike DF, a ton of stuff you do in NMS is random and meaningless.
For someone looking for the amazing experience DF can give you, in which your actions truly matter and can change and shape the game universe, I doubt this is the game for you.
When I started hearing about NMS, I thought about Minecraft and Space Rangers. That maybe ships would be unique NPCs doing non-random stuff, with actual goals, personality and/or meaning. It's definitely not the game I imagined after I watched the first video.
Still, it fits right into games I like. If I managed to like Rodina (and it pisses me off in many ways), there's no way I'm not enjoying this.

The only way to really disappoint me is if getting closer to the core, nothing changes. Because that, unlike multiplayer, is something that has been 'promised' (talked about) over and over again over the years. I'd have to make my own way to make the game more difficult if that was the case, like only going on extreme planets.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 11, 2016, 06:51:01 pm »

-mega snip-
I think it's just a case of preferences. For instance, I don't like multiplayer survival stuff like rust or ark despite it being a fairly successful and popular type of game.

But what makes me think I'll like NMS is that I sometimes just open an open-world RPG, like any of the TES games, and just wander off, not caring about quests or loot, just looking at stuff, jumping onto and off objects, and so on.

Damn ninjas

E:
And I have a dentist appointment at 3PM, damn it (I think it releases 2PM for me). But at least I'll be able to leave it downloading and play it ~2h after release.
Unless you are in Fernando de Noronha, it's 13:00 (or earlier further west).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:54:32 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 11, 2016, 06:54:56 pm »

Come to think of it, I recall someone describing it as capturing the essence of the Morrowind Effect, that sort of behavior.

Funny thing about Rust, I really enjoyed both the PvP and the resource-build-resource cycle, but both of them put together pissed me off to no end sometimes.
--

And it actually wasn't the stoner sub. The post was just so chill and useful that it confused me.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 11, 2016, 07:00:23 pm »

It's funny, I've seen accusations that people have said that not liking the game is being used as an excuse to pirate it and play it anyways, twice now, but have not seen anyone ever say that they intended to do that, and it wouldn't really make much sense. If you don't like the game, why would you pirate and play it? That doesn't make any sense.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 11, 2016, 07:01:13 pm »

It's funny, I've seen accusations that people have said that not liking the game is being used as an excuse to pirate it and play it anyways, twice now, but have not seen anyone ever say that they intended to do that, and it wouldn't really make much sense. If you don't like the game, why would you pirate and play it? That doesn't make any sense.
I think what Dice is saying is people pretending to hate on the game as an excuse to pirate it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 11, 2016, 07:02:39 pm »

I wish the OP was around so I could request that the thread title be changed to No Man's Hype.

More like No Guy Buy
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 11, 2016, 07:05:21 pm »

I think what Dice is saying is people pretending to hate on the game as an excuse to pirate it.

Yeah, this shit has happened before from time to time, there are these weird people who pirate all their games but like to pretend that they're in the right about it, so they've gotta have a narrative about how the devs suck and the game is trash so it's okay.

I mean it's mostly just the usual hype circlejerk stupidity, but there are always a few. Just me being a cynical ass about the internet gaming stupidity event horizon, feel free to ignore.

3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 11, 2016, 08:18:41 pm »

The excuses some people make for pirating gets really annoying sometimes, yeah. They're pirating it, period. It doesn't matter what right and noble cause they're doing it for, it's still pirating. Like or or dislike it, making excuses doesn't help anyone whatsoever.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 11, 2016, 08:26:16 pm »

I wonder if this game will even be piratable. Doesn't it use some sort of online component at its core to sync the world, like elite dangerous?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 87