Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145944 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #600 on: August 11, 2016, 01:39:57 pm »

Not everyone is going to like it. Is he supposed to lie if he doesn't? :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 11, 2016, 01:41:35 pm »

An anon over on 4chan noticed that his limited edition No Man's Sky box had a sticker on it covering up that it had multiplayer.

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-limited-edition-box-has-online-play-icon-hidden-under-sticker/

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 11, 2016, 01:51:34 pm »

Yeah, that was what started me wondering about it being a PS4 thing. The stickers were in places with laws about content promises on boxes, so it also fits with "PS4 multiplayer isn't working but we're not allowed to talk about it not working".
Because for some reason NMS makes people jump to the least likely conclusion and then assume that it's god-given truth.

I mean I think Jim didn't really give the game a chance, but his review was mediocre at best; there were plenty worse out there.

Yes, because saying it is possible... means I am saying THEY DID IT! IT WAS THEM THEY DID IT!

As well NO ONE could possibly not like No Man's Sky :P

I am not sure if I am communicating incorrectly... or if something else is going on here...

More that you immediately assumed it was the NMS team trying to suppress bad reviews. When no other review was attacked, when the team's busy as shit fixing bugs and prepping for the PC launch, and when Sterling's review wasn't the worst of the lot.

Easy money that it's someone who combined the two traits of NMS fanboy and person who hates Sterling for being the douchebag that he is. So in other words a NMS fanboy who has ever watched any of Sterling's content. :V

If we're talking unlikely possibilities, it was a false-flag by one of the people trying to rip NMS apart right now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 11, 2016, 02:03:24 pm »

ney that it's someone who combined the two traits of NMS fanboy and person who hates Sterling for being the douchebag that he is. So in other words a NMS fanboy who has ever watched any of Sterling's content. :V

Thank God for Jim.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 11, 2016, 02:04:31 pm »

Because for some reason NMS makes people jump to the least likely conclusion and then assume that it's god-given truth.
that's what happens when the entire marketing campaign is focused on hyping the game up as much as possible

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 11, 2016, 02:04:50 pm »

More that you immediately assumed it was the NMS team trying to suppress bad reviews. When no other review was attacked, when the team's busy as shit fixing bugs and prepping for the PC launch, and when Sterling's review wasn't the worst of the lot.

Nope I only said
1) It was possible
and
2) It has happened before

It is almost like... it doesn't matter what I say, it is being twisted to somehow be some sort of attack against NMS.

Hmmmm...

Banana

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 11, 2016, 02:18:03 pm »

Yeah, and it's also possible that the PC launch will be delayed until 2020. That doesn't mean it makes sense to say "Hey guys what if they're not saying anything is because they're getting ready to announce another delay" as if it were plausible.

ney that it's someone who combined the two traits of NMS fanboy and person who hates Sterling for being the douchebag that he is. So in other words a NMS fanboy who has ever watched any of Sterling's content. :V

Thank God for Jim.

Realtalk for a second though, Jim is a dick, and unlike certain other reviewers he doesn't back it up with good reviews. Still good for a laugh when he trolls the people who take him seriously though--it's honestly a surprise that it took this long for an idiot to think that taking his site down for a couple hours would do anything.

that's what happens when the entire marketing campaign is focused on hyping the game up as much as possible
Please. When you say "marketing campaign" explain what you're talking about. If it's the interviews they've done over the years, you're making stuff up. If Sony ran some overinflated ads that I didn't see, I'm not sure why you're blaming the devs for that.

And that also has nothing to do with people seeing "literally one pair of people couldn't find each other while the server was down" and using that to argue that Sean is literally pure evil who spent four years making NMS for the sole purpose of trolling the fans.

Like, let's walk through the logic here.

They knew they had a staggered launch. They chose to include a new feature to make it much easier to find other players in the launch patch. Why in the world would they decide to do both of those things if they knew that a feature wasn't ready or implemented yet?

You're literally taking a single bit of anecdotal evidence and acting as if it is years of well-documented research. It's honestly mindboggling. o.0

e: Whatever. I'm done arguing in circles. Gonna be playing tomorrow, you can all have fun doing... whatever it is you do when you spend weeks following games you aren't going to play.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:28:41 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 11, 2016, 02:41:32 pm »

it doesnt support that argument, it is a valid reason as to why people feel cheated. the game was hyped up ridiculously much everywhere.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 11, 2016, 02:43:30 pm »

Spoiler: I'm dead (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 11, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »

You got poi'd on.

In other news, I don't think I'm really that interested in the game in how it seems right now, but if they're adding base building elements and other such things over time that might change.

It's interesting, but not enough to feel like getting invested into for me at the moment so will watch.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:50:24 pm by Gunner-Chan »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 11, 2016, 03:29:57 pm »

So I never really got hyped for this, I heard literally two things about it: there are infinity+10 planets and that you could seamlessly travel from a planet to space. I know what procedural generation is and I didn't imagine going too and from a planet's surface would be a big enough deal for the presence or absence of a loading screen to matter. As an outsider: why was this supposed to be huge and why are people getting pissed?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 11, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »

So I never really got hyped for this, I heard literally two things about it: there are infinity+10 planets and that you could seamlessly travel from a planet to space. I know what procedural generation is and I didn't imagine going too and from a planet's surface would be a big enough deal for the presence or absence of a loading screen to matter. As an outsider: why was this supposed to be huge and why are people getting pissed?
On a console + Advertised/Published by Sony

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 11, 2016, 03:43:13 pm »

I know what procedural generation is and I didn't imagine going too and from a planet's surface would be a big enough deal for the presence or absence of a loading screen to matter. As an outsider: why was this supposed to be huge and why are people getting pissed?

The last game I can remember that did it successfully was Frontier: Elite II (and Frontier: First Encounters, which was basically a stand alone expansion iirc), and that looked like this.

(IIRC Elite: Dangerous might also support it now? I seem to recall reading something about them adding it in an update, but it costing money to get the update or some shit like that. That's by the same studio, but from this decade instead of the early 90s.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #613 on: August 11, 2016, 03:49:32 pm »

(IIRC Elite: Dangerous might also support it now? I seem to recall reading something about them adding it in an update, but it costing money to get the update or some shit like that. That's by the same studio, but from this decade instead of the early 90s.)
Planetary landing in Elite: Dangerous is included in the season 2 DLC, but only for planets without an atmosphere (which was something like 60% of all planets/moons). There is no loading screen exactly but there is a transition between different flight modes which, depending on latency, can take several seconds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 11, 2016, 03:50:18 pm »

Basically, this is a game built from the ground up for old-fashioned nerds, the sort of people who grew up on sci-fi novels, watching Star Trek and Star Wars, playing Freelancer, shit like that. And that's exactly what it is. It's a game where you get to explore a galaxy doing whatever the hell you want. Someone elsewhere described it very aptly as a Dad Game. It's a game for people who want to sit back and listen to the rain drumming against their cockpit as they watch a reddish sun rise over hills covered in fields of blue-grey ferns.

The problem is that Sony got in on the action and a bunch of kids from the Minecraft generation started making it out to be some sort of Minecraft-GTA-in-Space MMO and then got mad when it wasn't. Also the other problem is that Sony got in on the action. And then there were complications caused by Sony getting in on the action.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 87