Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145764 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #525 on: August 09, 2016, 09:11:47 pm »

I just meant they didn't start the game with that goal, it happened organically which is even cooler.

Pretty terrible that they lied about the whole multiplayer thing though, if it turns out to be the case
To be fair, from what I remember most of the "multiplayer? Sure, I guess" stuff is a year+ old and they've been reeling back on it for a while now. But you know how the hype train works, if a dev even hints at something maybe happening someday there'll be people who are outraged that they didn't have it done yesterday.

I'm still upset that Terraria STILL doesn't have those alien worlds that we were promised years ago!  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:11 pm »

No, the seed number is based on position or something similar IIRC, so, while it's true that it's built for each person as they get to it, another person will get the same planet if they go to the same place and thus anything one player can do on the planet can be saved and presented to someone else.

That's just what's technically true, not saying it's what happens.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 09, 2016, 09:14:33 pm »

It's unlikely for the reasons I outlined above, primarily the possibility of a player being trapped on a planet that has been completely strip-mined if they landed without enough fuel to take off again.

I was thinking something like being able to build and place the point-of-interest antennas that are present at the generated points of interest. Make it so that changes to the world within a certain radius of that are made across the board. Likewise, that'd mean that you could build a private supply cache without making it accessible to other players, and if you just (say) built a little shack for the night it wouldn't be shared.

Granted, you'd probably also need another limit like only being able to place one per planet per player or something.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 09, 2016, 09:25:55 pm »

I still find it hilarious that in the launch day we already have people bumping into each other and doing experiments like that. As soon as I saw (not sure if spoiler) wormholes, I figured it probably wouldn't take that long to just warp around and scan for player activity. But I thought it would take a week, I'm happy and impressed at these two guys.
Still, I wonder if that was just an extremely rare, extremely happy coincidence (because galaxies are even larger now post-patch), or if we'll have people bumping into each other and complaining about it every day.

I also wonder what kind of interaction you can have with another player. Trading, attacking, chatting, any sort of cooperation? They made it so 'mysterious' that at least I don't know anything about it.
Still don't think that's a sign of malice, just a funny and succesful attempt of keeping something secret until someone actually goes out of their way to do it.

@Glloyd I -think- sleep-drunk Sean on that last stream mentioned that the same way they use to store certain changes to multiple players is what willl be used for 'building'. He almost whispered it so don't quote me on that - but my guess is that buildings use a separate system than ground gen that could probably be synced between multiple clients.
I also would prefer all players could see changes from anyone else, and that they add some sort of resource regen mechanics (like meteors falling down and becoming new resource spots or recovering existing ones) and stuff like that.

And to be clear, I'm pretty happy with how things are (from what I read/watched), I just wished everything was a little bit more integrated - especially between clients.

E: Ninja'd hard, forgot to click post.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:36 pm »

No, the seed number is based on position or something similar IIRC, so, while it's true that it's built for each person as they get to it, another person will get the same planet if they go to the same place and thus anything one player can do on the planet can be saved and presented to someone else.

Hmm, I wonder what the algorithm for determining the seed numbers looks like...

I say because I found duplicate systems in Noctis years ago due to the algorithm it used to calculate the system seed from the system positions.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 09, 2016, 09:29:48 pm »

TBH one of the things I understand-but-regret most is the lack of actual... civilization. Y'know, jumping into a system and it's full of hab stations and traffic, landing on a planet in a bustling city, &c. I totally get why that's not a thing, but it does (slightly) jar immersion that there are all these starfaring races that only have single giant space stations and one/two-person planetary outposts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 09, 2016, 09:32:59 pm »

So did any of the patches fix the extremely claustrophobic and cluttered space yet?

The game is like the Earth Realm if it exploded O_O

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 09, 2016, 09:42:12 pm »

Hmm, I wonder what the algorithm for determining the seed numbers looks like...

A pairing function would be fine. Like so:

P(a,b)=0.5(a+b)(a+b+1)+b

P(P(x,y),z)

Where x, y and z are coordinates.

This will get you a unique number for all x,y,z.

Main problem: if x>55000 or so, it starts getting bigger than 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (18,446,744,073,709,551,616), which is the absolute max for the seed numbers in NMS. Of course, that's not really a problem; just change which coords are which, limit some of them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:47:29 pm by Putnam »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 09, 2016, 11:32:41 pm »

re: seeing changes others have made

They said at some point that you can see *major* changes made by other players, such as giant chasms opened on a planet's surface (if someone bothers to do so), so I'd imagine it'd work similar to that. In the sense that materials for each player are for them and them only, while big buildings and huge geographical changes would be global (so to speak.)

Also, re: lack of civilisation

I do agree with you there. I'd love to see huge cityscapes, and underground fortresses, etc. But hey, maybe they'll add it later? Although, if we start thinking down *that* road, a large amount of things could go wrong.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 10, 2016, 03:07:53 am »

"players just playing the game will never meet each other in almost all cases", that's true, but it's also obviously not how online multiplayer works when real people are involved. Think it was some wishful thinking on the part of the NMS team.

given they couldn't see each other, it's technically correct  ;D

little did the community knew...   https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762689080245252096
but he was not joking
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:12:12 am by LoSboccacc »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 10, 2016, 06:15:49 am »

I think a lot of this stems from this being an indie game that changed into an AAA game somewhere down the line. Things like the 'it'll be practically impossible to ever see anyone else' was fine when they'd expect only a few hundred thousand to play it at any one time, but now that it's so, so much bigger it increases the chances massively.

If I had to guess, they've commented out the code to ease server strain. I honestly can't believe it'd be too difficult to implement, and it seems like a feature that makes sense to implement as with the attention the game got, it became increasingly more likely that eventually someone would meet someone else.

I'm really hoping that they didn't just not do it though - that'd be a massive blow.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:51 am »

another thing that's weird is what will happen if said central server would stop working? can anyone with a copy test out whether it still works without an internet connection?

btw good old devs are in full pr damage control mode now

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jumping over backward to avoid answering the question whether meeting was actually an intended feature or not or if they're even planning to add it at some point.

the whole thing sounds like they're quite scared about preorders being cancelled
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:48:41 am by LoSboccacc »

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 10, 2016, 06:55:54 am »

I'm still going to believe the player models are actually invisible, and that's why you can't see each other.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 10, 2016, 07:01:46 am »

I always felt it was kinda silly to say that the chances of running into another player is 1 in a million.  I mean, humans are willful creatures if we want to find each other in the universe we will spend a lot of hours trying to. 

Also in response to LoSboccacc's question, yes you can play in offline mode.  I was watching some streamers yesterday who were playing in offline mode.  All that happens is that you only of course see your own discoveries, nothing else seemed to break.
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #539 on: August 10, 2016, 07:13:53 am »

What is this shit about "More of you are playing than we could have predicted"? Did they not see the hype, the presales numbers, etc? You can predict these things to within an acceptable margin of error and plan accordingly. This is more likely an excuse for the poor performance on launch day, because numbers are expected to level out over time and that lower number is what they based hardware projection on. Launch day is always rough for online games.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 87