Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145844 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #495 on: August 09, 2016, 08:05:15 am »

Hum, I think he mentioned he was purposefully going to a super harsh planet he had found.  That said, if most worlds are a sort of fight against the timer to survive while exploring, I can see myself spending endless hours on calm-earthlike planets just for the change in pace and relaxation hahah.  That's honestly the sort of thing I had wanted out of starbound and empyrion (I should go back to that game at some point and see what has changed actually) but I do agree it looks rather sharp in contrast to a game that was previously hyped as exploration and has now shifted to more survival first.  Not complaining though since that's more my cup of tea anyhoo
Nom nom nom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 09, 2016, 08:38:45 am »

Does look like you can only own one ship at a time, though--ship "buying" appears to be more like swapping, with the price making up the difference in value. I can understand why it's so, though, but hopefully we'll get to own multiple ships at once when freighters/bases come around.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 09, 2016, 08:50:17 am »

I watched Eurogamers streams and I've still got very mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, it looks great fun to fly around and see loadsa different worlds, but it also looks like there really isn't a great deal to do after the initial excitement of flying around takes place. As in, I feel that after watching about an hour and a half of streaming I've pretty much gotten over the initial excitement of 'massive seamless universe'.

I know there are some stories in it, and I imagine they'll keep my interest further (as well as the overall quest) but there doesn't seem to be enough 'middle stuff' to fill it out. Take Fallout 3/4 for example, it's very open world, but there's tons of hour long quests to do that make everywhere seem alive. More than that, it's seems as though every planet is just a sort of 'pre-historic dino-land', with a lot of brightly coloured dinosaur things and plants, which doesn't make for a lot of exploration.

However, from what Eurogamer showed and how extensive the patch notes were, I'd imagine that they'll be able to spice it up without too much problem. A few dangerous space derelicts/pyramids/tunnel complexes/ruined cities to poke around and some NPC quests and it'll hold my interest for a lot longer. I'll probably stay off a purchase for a few months until I see the direction it heads in, although it definitely looked fun enough for the first steam sale.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 09, 2016, 12:15:56 pm »

Okay, so that means you guys are going to not buy it and stop coming here to shit-talk it, right? :')
yeah probably.

i think it's valid to use the thread for saying the game is bad before it's released, though. i mean, expectations are basically all that's discussed at that point. and i still think it's a scam considering what was promised or implied, what the game actually seems to deliver, and the price tag. then again, honest marketing is hard to come by these days.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:29:16 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 09, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »

I remain in threads as long as they are still relevant to me whether or not I have the game.

Though being simply bad isn't usually a reason for a game to be relevant. Usually there is a story behind it usually that I either bought it under false pretenses, I was forced/deluded to get the game, or something else.

So it all depends whether or not my friends and family can convince me to get this game I kind of don't want... and this is me the guy who once got a 3ds mostly because my brother wouldn't get his own and I felt sorry for him.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #500 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:22 pm »

It reminds me the most of Noctis. If it has at least that much functionality, I'll be happy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 09, 2016, 12:43:14 pm »

Reminds me of Starflight

Though while I won't say Starflight is a good game by any stretch... It kind of hits the right notes of what I am looking for in a game such as this.
-More accurately I'd say that Starflight holds the VERY respectable position of holding its theme in more importance then its direct fun-factor. Making it a chore to play but a game I appreciate existing more so then say... No Man's Sky which at best only makes people want the game people thought it was.

It is also a game that would never be made again by anything other then a indie team (In fact... Petitioner, I think that was the name, is directly inspired by that game) at best.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 09, 2016, 01:15:58 pm »

It reminds me the most of Noctis. If it has at least that much functionality, I'll be happy.

Noctis seemed fairly pacifistic to me. That said, it did allow catching birds and dragging them back to your lander... because you're an intelligent space cat, I assume. That took some personal skill to accomplish, though, since they didn't just stand around waiting for you to come up and grab them. (That could all be present tense since it's still played)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 09, 2016, 01:27:37 pm »

(Re: You two guys arguing - nobody has ever had their opinion changed on an Internet forum. You're just word-masturbating at each other. You don't respect what the other is writing and nobody else cares. But by all means continue what you're doing in PM. Doing it on here is just going to get the thread locked again, and this would not be a good time for that to happen.)

So, I read on RPS that Sean Murray is now saying there will be base-building dropping in a later patch. (Was that in the patch notes? I kinda skimmed them.)

That sounds like a creator having a crisis of faith in his art, hours before the public is going to get their hands on it.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 09, 2016, 01:39:31 pm »

(Re: You two guys arguing - nobody has ever had their opinion changed on an Internet forum. You're just word-masturbating at each other. You don't respect what the other is writing and nobody else cares. But by all means continue what you're doing in PM. Doing it on here is just going to get the thread locked again, and this would not be a good time for that to happen.)

So, I read on RPS that Sean Murray is now saying there will be base-building dropping in a later patch. (Was that in the patch notes? I kinda skimmed them.)

That sounds like a creator having a crisis of faith in his art, hours before the public is going to get their hands on it.

I've had my opinion changed many times on this very board! They seem to be having a pretty tame 'argument' and it seems more like an exchange of ideas about what games this reminds them of, which seems like a completely useful subject.

I do agree that base-building was definitely not what I expected to be something that they'd add on at this point, although I imagine it's one of those things that keeps on being sorta mentioned by play testers (and now public) and is something that is easy for them to add into their engine. More cynically, it also helps cover for the lack of variation in buildings, as that issue can just be countered with 'yes, but it's more fun to build your own!'

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 09, 2016, 01:43:55 pm »

Finally the ninth! Time to download No Man's Sky.

* IronTomato goes on Steam

* IronTomato pauses for a moment

* IronTomato 's expression slowly changes from one of utter horror to one of pure rage

* IronTomato goes to bed for three more days

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 09, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »

It's been the twelfth on their site for more than a week now I believe, I don't know why people keep getting surprised that steam was lazy and never updated the time it was launching.
Nom nom nom

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 09, 2016, 01:58:36 pm »

I haven't really been following the game for the past week or so, I had planned on just forgetting about it until it came out. That's why I didn't know the release date changed until just a minute ago :P

It just caught me off guard, that's all.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 09, 2016, 05:15:24 pm »

Uh. How? And yes, the patchnotes said that basebuilding and player-owned freighters are a down-the-road thing. It's very much in fitting with the conceptualization of how multiplayer works--lets' face it, you're unlikely to ever come back to bases you build out in the boonies, but once you're in the core you might build to stay. So you've got a galaxy full not only of generated structures, but also (hopefully) with old player structures. You could come across something that was built literally years ago, with little indication as to its purpose, maybe even happen across a little cache of resources that the owner left behind.

I suspect it could also play a role in extragalactic exploration. Remember, NMS spans multiple galaxies, and although it's apparently possible to warp from one edge to another, I suspect that there might be something at the core akin to a stargate that would allow you to transit to the core (or edge) of other galaxies, in which case a central base location would actually serve a purpose.

--

On an unrelated note, I think I've figured out why there's such a divide in opinion over the game. It's that game. You know, that game. Or rather, the latest attempt at making that game. The game you turn to when you're despairing because you'll never float in space beyond visual range of any world, that you'll never see an unfamiliar sun rise over the horizon of an alien world. That's also, I think, why the negative comparisons are so often "Minecraft in space" or "3D Starbound", because those are games that arose from the womb of a gaming era largely devoid of attempts at making that game.

Put it like this. Some people, when they play, like a paint-by-numbers kit, a chess set, a tabletop with a box full of Lego. Some people like to slip out the back door and off into the woods, returning hours later sweaty, tired, covered in scratches, full of new memories. If you don't enjoy being that spec in a vast and uncaring cosmos, if you don't enjoy seeing each new dawn from a new vista, if you don't want to be the one that goes where no one has... &c., NMS, like all other attempts at making that game, probably isn't for you.

That's not to say it's perfect, or the culmination of that game. It's not. But it's the best we've had in a long time, and a sight better than any of the ones that coasted by on nostalgia, and that's just at launch.

I think that when I start playing I'll keep a travelogue of all the best sunrises and sunsets I encounter. One from each world, maybe, with a little entry to help me remember them better.

--

That said, I wouldn't buy the game if it were PS4 exclusive. I feel sorry for those poor fools, stuck playing a game with next-gen demands on a last-gen console, capped at 30 FPS and a shitty FOV. PC masterrace represent, we suffer not from Sony's hubris. :P

Also, I'm somewhat concerned over the whole thing where you apparently can't fly too close to a planet's surface. I wanted to do high-speed nape-of-the-earth flying, but apparently that's not allowed because PS4 and PC players with low-end machines can't handle rapid terrain fill when it's the high-res textures. Should have made it a toggle so people with solid machines could do it. Possibly it's also an anti-moron measure to stop idiots from crashing their ships and whining about it, but I sorta doubt it, given that the insurance elsewhere is bare-bones "you will always be able to get resources to escape this world/system somehow, even it it's a pain in the ass".

Incidentally, that's also probably why player harvesting and terrain destruction is local-only, to remove the (highly unlikely) chance of someone landing on a planet that's been strip-mined previously and not having enough fuel to get back into orbit.

Also have the Giant Bomb "Quick Look" (running time approx. 1h 53m). They've been the most even-handed and unbiased of the reviews I've seen, as well as the most in-depth. They cover the sticking points well, but don't try to downplay the good stuff, and their ignorance is mostly on minor details rather than important elements of the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 09, 2016, 05:18:21 pm »

Not super surprised Giantbomb's managed to be the most even-handed on it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 87