Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145993 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #435 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:57 pm »

You're either with me or you're my enemy!

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."  :P

I've always wondered about that line from Revenge of the Sith. The statement is itself an absolute, so the person using it must also be a Sith, right?

And in the phantom menace darth maul has the high ground against Obi Wan and Obi Wan just jumps up and kills him like it's nothing.

Spoiler: *cough* (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: more spoiler (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 04, 2016, 12:04:01 am »

You're either with me or you're my enemy!

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."  :P

I've always wondered about that line from Revenge of the Sith. The statement is itself an absolute, so the person using it must also be a Sith, right?

And in the phantom menace darth maul has the high ground against Obi Wan and Obi Wan just jumps up and kills him like it's nothing.

Spoiler: *cough* (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: more spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway should I get this? I generally only buy two major games a year and I'm kinda on the fence about this one.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 04, 2016, 12:19:30 am »

...As with all games of this sort, the focus is on the player's ship. Obviously.

Yes, the devs are treading new ground here, so it's not unreasonable for them to be proud of it, but if you think that this isn't another game about a person and their ship I don't know what game you've been watching. It's not about the planets any more than (for another contemporary example) Elite: Dangerous is about the thousands of literally identical space stations.
So it's a game about a dude in a ship, but the advertising completely revolves around [ridiculous number] UNIQUE UNIQUE UNIQUE planets? Sounds pretty fucking dishonest to me.

Which is my main problem with the game. It's 60 bucks and advertising an entirely different game than it is.
What advertising? You mean the trailers in which the player is always either in the cockpit or very close to their ship? Which spend more time flying/in space than on a planetary surface? Which show precisely three planets?

Or perhaps you mean the Steam store description, which mentions the number of planets indirectly once and spends most of the length talking about exploration, flight, and self-imposed roles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 04, 2016, 12:42:50 am »

So it's a game about a dude in a ship, but the advertising completely revolves around [ridiculous number] UNIQUE UNIQUE UNIQUE planets? Sounds pretty fucking dishonest to me.

Which is my main problem with the game. It's 60 bucks and advertising an entirely different game than it is.

I already wrote like 3 replies about this. Why the hell does this keep coming back around to the game's marketing?
Why do you hate the game so much for the marketing that's probably done without any developer input?
What is this I can't even.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 04, 2016, 12:53:20 am »

Anyway should I get this? I generally only buy two major games a year and I'm kinda on the fence about this one.

You should wait for reviews and watch some unedited gameplay videos first. None of us in this thread have enough information to make your purchasing decision for you, and the majority of the people here are probably biased towards not buying it. It's always smart to wait for reviews in general, even for games you think you'll like because who knows how many game breaking bugs there are unless someone checks for themselves.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 04, 2016, 04:51:30 am »

I already wrote like 3 replies about this. Why the hell does this keep coming back around to the game's marketing?
Why do you hate the game so much for the marketing that's probably done without any developer input?
What is this I can't even.
Because that makes it a scam, just the same as every other game of this kind.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 04, 2016, 06:14:18 am »

the lead developer is by far the biggest spokesperson for the game

he also outright said that different ship models will have different properties with regards to module fittings, cargo size, speed etc. and that appears to be 100% false with every ship model being the same, so this is the lead dev lying about things in marketing

unless that's a bug like the gun getting worse as it's upgraded

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 04, 2016, 06:14:51 am »

You should wait for reviews and watch some unedited gameplay videos first. None of us in this thread have enough information to make your purchasing decision for you, and the majority of the people here are probably biased towards not buying it. It's always smart to wait for reviews in general, even for games you think you'll like because who knows how many game breaking bugs there are unless someone checks for themselves.

this is especially true for any game with a launch day review embargo

Brigands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 04, 2016, 06:54:18 am »

And so the hype balloons were all deflated in one fell swoop.
Also... did you guys really called mods when squabbling over a game?

As for the game.

It promised a large universe full of varying planets and gave the players just that making it a game about exploring stuff rather than anything else.
And if you expected X-Rebirth on an intergalactic scale made by one guy then sorry but your expectations were so high they're doing the Dr.Manhattan shuffle on the surface of the sun.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:56:33 am by Brigands »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 04, 2016, 08:35:05 am »

Obligatory "Can't we all just get along!?"
No, this is the argument thread. You'd want the happy thread.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 04, 2016, 10:57:53 am »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 04, 2016, 01:39:54 pm »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 04, 2016, 03:54:43 pm »

It promised a large universe full of varying planets and gave the players just that making it a game about exploring stuff rather than anything else.
And if you expected X-Rebirth on an intergalactic scale made by one guy then sorry but your expectations were so high they're doing the Dr.Manhattan shuffle on the surface of the sun.

Exactly. 

This game sounds like a great experiment with automatic generation, exploration and RPG trappings.  It's exactly up my alley afaict so I pre-ordered.  If you're uncertain, wait for reviews.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 04, 2016, 11:12:59 pm »

the lead developer is by far the biggest spokesperson for the game

he also outright said that different ship models will have different properties with regards to module fittings, cargo size, speed etc. and that appears to be 100% false with every ship model being the same, so this is the lead dev lying about things in marketing

unless that's a bug like the gun getting worse as it's upgraded

I've watched some gameplay videos and even though I'd like to see more performance difference between the ship models, different ships did seem to handle differently, and the cargo size/module fittings (they are the same?) difference is definitely there.
Also, the ship models on 'leaked' videos seem to be like 1 tier over the other, and everyone I watched playing it sucked at the game or in FPSs in general, so I'd rather test it by myself.

People also seem to suck so much they have to look at the same recipe 100 times and STILL not be able to repair/craft whatever they need. I better just wait for the game.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 04, 2016, 11:19:59 pm »

As I said I have no idea if the game will be good or bad or not.

It certainly REALLY doesn't have good signs but that isn't my issue either.

I am just cheesed by the number of pre-orders where people basically made up what the game will be like in their head... not helped by the misleading marketing (apparently).
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 87