Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145996 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #405 on: August 03, 2016, 10:41:52 am »

spore creatures were soo cool before cartonification  :'(

What is really interesting is the behind the scenes on that.

In that Will Wright and one other person on the team fought hard to keep the game with the strong science focus but lost out as all the other team members did not.

The reason it kind of bugs me... is...

If Spore was a worse game, less fun, but kept the sort of "Grand Life Simulator" aspect closer to home with more realistic visuals... I'd have appreciated it a whole lot more.

Sometimes games don't have to be fun, but they have to be worth your time somehow.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2016, 11:56:02 am »

Yeah, I just saw a tweet from HG saying they were getting ready to wrap up the first patch. Apparently it contains "new features, balancing, and bugfuxes". I just hope that the nerf to Atlas stations (guaranteed 2 units of waro fuel and 300K credits) was one of them. Especially since they're 90% of the reason daymeehun was able to reach the center so fast.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2016, 01:41:44 pm »

So, aside from my vain hope that new posts would be actual news rather than more baseless speculation, there are two things that bother me.

The first is the Starbound comparison. I'm convinced that it's coming from people who haven't actually played Starbound in a year or more, since it's totally misaligned. Most of the problems with Starbound as it stands come from three sources.

1. Severely reduced procgen content. The game started as being heavily reliant on procgen for variation in content, for much the same reason that NMS does: it's not sane to expect any size team to hand-craft literal millions of planets, and just making a few hundred is a blatant lie from anyone claiming to have a game set in a full galaxy (incidentally, how do some of you expect a full-sized galaxy with no procgen content to be created? Is there some secret for pulling stuff from the ether or are you just moaning for the sake of it?). But, over time, they stripped that out, replacing virtually everything from planet biomes to weapon functions to enemy design with a greater percentage of predesigned stuff and many fewer options and greater restrictions on the remaining procgen content.

Something like 60-75% of the enemies are pre-designed and the few remaining have lower variation and fewer potential attacks. The amount of options for generated weapons is much lower. Planet biomes are hard-locked to specific levels of difficulty and loot quality, and terrain generation appears to be quite tightly restricted; you'll basically never see sheer cliffs, concave cliffs, bodies of liquid larger than a shoulder-deep puddle on non-ocean worlds, &c. All genned structures are actually just templates, most with the exact same layout barring only which houses are pasted in which order.

2. Tightly confined restriction on content progression. Duh. We all know this. Every single resource is gated by a boss, an environmental hazard impossible to overcome without following progression in the "right" order, or something else. You absolutely cannot fly wherever you like, the game forces you to do exactly what it wants, and resources are common enough that you'll likely only ever visit one or two of each tier of world before the top.

On another note, what's with this obsession with progression? Why do people think that because your numbers don't have any more hardcoded points of advancement you're not allowed to have fun? This mentality has been driving me crazy for years now, this idea that a game can't be fun unless it's periodically doling out (virtual) material rewards and participation medals. What the actual fuck. Not every game is an RPG, you don't need a goddamn experience meter to enjoy playing a shooter or exploration game. I don't know how much time I sank into Goldeneye or Halo 3 back in their respective days with absolutely no notated gain, and I don't really care, because tooling around in custom games (or even just replaying campaign missions with self-imposed challenges!) was an absolute blast.

If you're the sort of person who buys a game that gives you a ship and a gun before pointing you at a full-sized galaxy full of stuff to find, shit to shoot, and other people to meet, saying, "Alright, go have fun!", and you do the metaphorical equivalent of walking down to the corner store to buy milk before heading back home, then yeah, any game that requires an ounce of imagination probably isn't for you.

--

Ranting aside, I'm keeping my preorder and will be happy to play canary after it releases.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2016, 01:56:04 pm »

My post was actual news. Notice me pls.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #409 on: August 03, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »

Your post was informing us of a tweet and then mostly unfounded speculation/hope about what it might be. I guess that counts as news for some news stations.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 03, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »

Your post was informing us of a tweet and then mostly unfounded speculation/hope about what it might be. I guess that counts as news for some news stations.
I informed you of the tweet and the contents of the tweet and stated my opinion on it. If I had made the most pessimistic and negative assumption possible from it would that have upset you less?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #411 on: August 03, 2016, 02:03:41 pm »

I informed you of the tweet and the contents of the tweet and stated my opinion on it. If I had made the most pessimistic and negative assumption possible from it would that have upset you less?
Why do you think I'm upset?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 03, 2016, 02:08:44 pm »

Why do you think I'm upset?
You made a sarcastic comment and accused me of making baseless assumptions simply for stating "I hope X happens" when I was just trying to provide information about what they said the patch would be like?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #413 on: August 03, 2016, 02:10:38 pm »

Sarcasm is just my default operating mode. I didn't say you made any assumptions, I said you engaged in baseless speculation. Which you did. It wasn't an attack, I don't get why you've taken it so personally. If you're that fragile I'll just refrain from speaking to you. My apologies for any offense you may have taken from my post.

I wouldn't have commented on your post at all if you hadn't come back to beg for attention about it

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 03, 2016, 02:28:08 pm »

Sarcasm is just my default operating mode. I didn't say you made any assumptions, I said you engaged in baseless speculation. Which you did. It wasn't an attack, I don't get why you've taken it so personally. If you're that fragile I'll just refrain from speaking to you. My apologies for any offense you may have taken from my post.

I wouldn't have commented on your post at all if you hadn't come back to beg for attention about it
...Okay? It's obvious I have done something to upset you, although you seemed to deny it before. I don't see why you think I was insulted beyond being annoyed by your petty passive-aggressiveness.

I wouldn't really call it "begging for attention" seeing as I was just kidding around. If I was trying to get attention I wouldn't do it by saying "please notice me" -_-

Either way, despite how Maturely and Calmly you've handled this so far I won't argue if you want to avoid talking to me. Buh bye.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #415 on: August 03, 2016, 02:33:56 pm »

Ranting aside, I'm keeping my preorder and will be happy to play canary after it releases.
Do you have any plans to do videos/streaming when the game is released?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2016, 02:40:55 pm »

Obligatory "Can't we all just get along!?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »

If you're the sort of person who buys a game that gives you a ship and a gun before pointing you at a full-sized galaxy full of stuff to find, shit to shoot, and other people to meet, saying, "Alright, go have fun!", and you do the metaphorical equivalent of walking down to the corner store to buy milk before heading back home, then yeah, any game that requires an ounce of imagination probably isn't for you.
May i sig this? It pretty much sums up what I wanted to say.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 03, 2016, 03:45:23 pm »

Everyone has to take a side! You're either with me or you're my enemy! I'm alone against the world! You can't have any opinion unless it supports me! If you don't support me you hate everything and are wrong! The lone warrior! I alone am the enlightened one to bring light to the masses because I alone am the smartest and the best! Everyone else is wrong! Are you even remotely approaching the NP values of being close to a negative opinion?! FUCK YOU ALL!!!

Guys guys guys... please... you don't have to fight. No one is saying someone here is wrong for having faith in an escaped lunatic and purchasing solely on that faith. No one is saying others are wrong for disagreeing in how that's a silly concept and you're being silly for believing in it. You can both coexist. There's no wartime conflict here. Just like BMW drivers and normal people or DF players and casual scrubs, there is room enough for all in your world.

After all... it's silly thinking that your opinion is better than others or you need to enforce it or it'll be overwritten somehow. Don't you think that's so silly? We all know I am superior to all you worthless peons and that you are all pathetic, useless mongrels trawling around in the refuse before you die before my altar. You are but entertainment before my eternal throne. Slaves to debt and monotony. There's no need to fight amongst yourselves. There's plenty of shit for all you guys! Be friends!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 03, 2016, 04:01:11 pm »

You're either with me or you're my enemy!

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 87