Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146080 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #375 on: August 02, 2016, 04:52:47 pm »

Well more tha the opinions in the review there are two fishy things: statements from the dev about the universe have been contraddicted (which on a game fueled by hype alone is quite a red flag) and the guy claims to have reached endgame in a couple days or so which is again busting one of the big points the dev make about that requiring effort and cooperation between explorers.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 02, 2016, 05:23:15 pm »

Didn't the guy who leaked get a testing or review build? It would make sense for stuff to be broken or outdated if the former, and for there to be a more rapid scaling progression if either (in order to allow a tester or reviewer to get through it without dumping a hundred plus hours).

Also, the leaker apparently made a video crying about how his stream getting b& &c. was about bigotry or something, rather than because it was an unsanctioned leak of an unpublished game, and actually had thought that it was perfectly okay to just go ahead and show leaked footage to boost his view count. If true, not the sort of person I'd trust to give an accurate assessment of anything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 02, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »

So no review copies were given?

WOW... Well if this is true and I preordered the game. I would immediately ask for my money back.

This has never been a good sign.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 02, 2016, 05:43:24 pm »

So no review copies were given?

WOW... Well if this is true and I preordered the game. I would immediately ask for my money back.

This has never been a good sign.
No, it seems there are review copies. However, a lot of people aren't getting them either.

It's similar to the Shadows of Mordor thing someone mentioned earlier.

------

It should also be noted that not a single word has been mentioned about PC settings either.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 02, 2016, 06:01:54 pm »

Didn't the guy who leaked get a testing or review build? It would make sense for stuff to be broken or outdated if the former, and for there to be a more rapid scaling progression if either (in order to allow a tester or reviewer to get through it without dumping a hundred plus hours).

Also, the leaker apparently made a video crying about how his stream getting b& &c. was about bigotry or something, rather than because it was an unsanctioned leak of an unpublished game, and actually had thought that it was perfectly okay to just go ahead and show leaked footage to boost his view count. If true, not the sort of person I'd trust to give an accurate assessment of anything.
There was a thread showing "evidence" that it was a review copy, but it mainly consists of stuff like "There was a fingerprint on the disc". However, they've supposedly been working on a day 1 patch for a while, which the guy does not have since the game hasnt really been released. I'd expect most of the major bugs, if not all of them to be fixed by the time the actual release happens.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2016, 07:30:40 pm »

I'd expect most of the major bugs, if not all of them to be fixed by the time the actual release happens.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 02, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »

Yeah, nevermind, clearly the update will fix nothing at all and they're just working on it for shits and giggles.

Seriously, do you even have any reason to believe that that won't be what happens or do you just like being passive-aggressive for no reason in particular?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2016, 07:38:17 pm »

You expect all (major) bugs to be fixed in 7 days?
Even when developers have intentional betas months before release, they almost never fix every major problem.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »

Gaming is one of the few products that gets away with releasing on "Mmhhhh.... good enough"

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2016, 07:51:11 pm »

You expect all (major) bugs to be fixed in 7 days?
Even when developers have intentional betas months before release, they almost never fix every major problem.
Thank you.

Unless there's some ridiculous number of them, yeah. Aside from AI being exploitable, the only ones I heard of where things like items upgrading in reverse which sound extremely easy to fix.

And no, I don't expect them to be able to fix all the most noticable bugs in 7 days. They've kinda been working on the patch for a much longer time than that.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2016, 08:10:50 pm »

Eh. I dont really see how. Most of the time that's just how procedural generation is. When the generation of creatures follows a certain set of rules, it's not like you're going to see something that's going to knock your socks off every single time.
that doesnt excuse it being bad

procedural generation is a tool, not a goal.
I'm not so sure about that. Look at the title of this thread: "18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore". Why generate 18 quintillion planets? Why hype up that absurd number specifically? What's the use case of this, knowing that the end user is not actually going to see all 18 quintillion planets? It seems that procedural generation for No Man's Sky is the whole point, the raison d'ętre of its existence.

There doesn't seem to be any use case for the procgen in this game, other than to produce an illusion of content and depth that makes the rest of the game seem immersive. Maybe you can say that's where proc-gen being used as a tool, but no, I think it's just being used for...well, hype isn't the right word here...

An indie game developer, Bruno Dias, is currently developing a space game called Voyageur, where procedurally generated text is used to provide description for the various planets you can visit. He mentioned casually in an interview:
"In games, procgen originated as a workaround for technical limitations, allowing games like Elite to have huge galaxies that never actually had to exist in the limited memory of a 90’s computer. But it quickly became an engine of surprise and replayability; roguelikes wouldn’t be what they are if the dungeon wasn’t different each time, full of uncertainty. Voyageur represents an entry into what we could call the “third generation” of procgen in games: procedural generation as an aesthetic."

That's what procedural generation is being used for in No Man's Sky. Sheer beauty and taste, divorced from form and purpose. Let's have a vast, massive galaxy that you can explore and see content that no other player will ever see, so that players can then partake of meaning that is meaningful solely because it is specific to them and to them alone...Not out of any sense of it actually being useful, but because it's just cool.

Like most things about aesthetics, it's really a matter of taste, and while I can see many people who would love procgen for procgen's sake, I can also see why it wouldn't be appealing to many other people as well. And, of course, my mini-rant doesn't excuse bad procedural generation...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:13:06 pm by Skynet »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:13 pm »

Yeah, nevermind, clearly the update will fix nothing at all and they're just working on it for shits and giggles.

Seriously, do you even have any reason to believe that that won't be what happens or do you just like being passive-aggressive for no reason in particular?
Based on my experiences with other games, where bugs noted and publicized in pre-alpha builds still weren't fixed at or post launch, I'd say there is a better than even chance that some bad bugs will remain in the launch copy even after this zero day patch

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2016, 08:26:36 pm »

Based on my experiences with other games, where bugs noted and publicized in pre-alpha builds still weren't fixed at or post launch, I'd say there is a better than even chance that some bad bugs will remain in the launch copy even after this zero day patch
I am aware that there is a chance that some might not get fixed, that's why I used the word "most". My point is that if this one guy is able to find these relatively simple bugs all by himself without looking for them, the developers will have at some point seen them as well, seen how incredibly easy they were to find and recreate and, at some point during the month-long period that they worked on the patch, taken 5 minutes to fix a few of them.

I am sorry if you don't agree with that, but even if I end up being wrong I'd rather assume that the developers are competent than assume that they're going to end up deliberately screwing people over.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2016, 08:29:41 pm »

I'm kinda annoyed that all of you explained it to him so normally. I had to run out to get a GFCI switch for my workers (how do these 50 year olds function? They can fix cabling but they don't know how to buy a frigging switch?) and by that time I had another amazing post ready to go. Now the opportunity is lost.  >:(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-------

IronTomato:
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
- Codex: Imperial Guard (4th Edition), page 59

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2016, 08:45:21 pm »

Just bought it. Too bad the launch in my country will be on the 12th. I look forward to leaving a lot of n00bz behind on my way to the core.

And I'm going to throw anything and everything at anyone that tries to stop me  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 87