Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146165 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2016, 07:27:59 pm »

No, it's pretty much universally a problem with paying for something before you know what it actually is. It's a big problem even for games like Call of Duty where you'll know what you're getting, there's really no reason to preorder since things have gone digital. It's not like stock will run out. No Man's Sky is especially big because a huge part of the appeal is the mystery and exploration, which makes it the perfect storm of preorder debates.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »

Well in theory, the stock can run out if you're selling purely steam keys and didn't have enough of them. But that doesn't stop people from buying it elsewhere.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:26 pm »

Well, yeah, pre-ordering something with no idea of what it is, is pretty much similar to kickstarting something. Never know what you'll get. But still, I pre-ordered Warhammer for 25% off (huge deal for a new game) from greenmangaming. I also got chaos DLC for "free" (granted you could get that for an entire week). I pretty much knew what to expect from Warhammer Total War, and was pretty sure I was gonna like it since I loved Rome 2 (even on release) (Attila was meh though).

For this game, I would NEVER pre-order. So this game being up for pre-order debate makes sense in that, they are literally being rather shady about what the game actually is. This game is heavily reminding me of Spore pre-release. In fact, this game and SPORE are pretty much 100% similar in how people are hyping it, and the company behind it is acting.

But at same time, pre-ordering some games I find is fine. I'll pre-order the next Elder Scrolls game, there has never been a ES game I did not like. Granted, I greatly disliked Fallout 4, so there is that. Still, they are the most moddable games out there, as far as AAA games go. But do I need to actually pre-order it? Probably not, its not like you said, going to a store and it running out of stock. But, if I'm buying it at release day, might as well pre-order it. At very least, I get it cheaper (even if its a few dollars off, makes a big difference) and (sometimes) get goodies. Otherwise, if I plan to wait for reviews, that be dumb (obviously) to pre-order.

But yes, this game is shady as hell. Like I said, heavily reminding me of Spore pre-release. Doesn't mean it will end up as a huge disappointment like Spore, but it is reminding me heavily of how people were acting with that game.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2016, 07:59:34 pm »

Oh hey, the NMS thread updated! I wonder why. Must be some new info, or a stream, possibly a new intervaaaaaaaaand it's just people complaining again.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2016, 08:04:50 pm »

the game has gone gold, the first patch is already being worked on, it will most likely release on schedule, there's the news

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2016, 08:10:11 pm »

No, it's pretty much universally a problem with paying for something before you know what it actually is. It's a big problem even for games like Call of Duty where you'll know what you're getting, there's really no reason to preorder since things have gone digital. It's not like stock will run out. No Man's Sky is especially big because a huge part of the appeal is the mystery and exploration, which makes it the perfect storm of preorder debates.
The bigger problem is a lack of mandatory refunds for false advertising.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2016, 09:16:55 pm »

the game has gone gold, the first patch is already being worked on, it will most likely release on schedule, there's the news
Good news. Not vague or mysterious.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2016, 02:31:37 pm »

If it's an actual case of false advertising then it shouldn't be a refund, it should be a lawsuit. But you have to prove that they intentionally misled/confused people or blatantly lied about a product. That is very hard to do when you're talking about a product that is still being created, because capabilities and features change over the whole development process. False advertising isn't easy to prove, and not really applicable here imo

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2016, 03:26:40 pm »

If it's an actual case of false advertising then it shouldn't be a refund, it should be a lawsuit. But you have to prove that they intentionally misled/confused people or blatantly lied about a product. That is very hard to do when you're talking about a product that is still being created, because capabilities and features change over the whole development process. False advertising isn't easy to prove, and not really applicable here imo
Only video game case I ever saw was Aliens: Colonial Marines.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #279 on: July 14, 2016, 03:52:55 pm »

Only video game case I ever saw was Aliens: Colonial Marines.
I remember that. How did it end?

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »

Looks better than ever! I still don't know why some people want to be so negative. Maybe people just like to complain, but I guess they're entitled to their opinions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2016, 04:02:07 pm »

Looks better than ever! I still don't know why some people want to be so negative. Maybe people just like to complain, but I guess they're entitled to their opinions.
I think it's partially due to a combination of people's unrealistic expectations and the devs being "mysterious" or vague about certain features causing even more speculation/hype and further inflating expectations. Then reality happens

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2016, 04:06:02 pm »

It's not that people want to be negative (well, some do but I don't think it's anyone here), it's that as said by forsaken there's unrealistic expectations, the devs not being forthcoming, people not understanding the planets will be unique like borderlands guns are unique and past experiences with stuff like spore.

I really, really want this to be a great game, but I am still wary.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2016, 04:08:11 pm »

Yeah, I guess they're used to some companies completely screwing up their promises. And used to knowing 100% every little detail about a game before buying in most cases. I seriously rarely ever pre-order, but this is one game where I couldn't resist.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2016, 04:10:33 pm »

Yeah, I guess they're used to some companies completely screwing up their promises. And used to knowing 100% every little detail about a game before buying in most cases. I seriously rarely ever pre-order, but this is one game where I couldn't resist.
I'm exactly the opposite on this one. I refused to preorder due to the lack of information and will wait to see how it shapes up post launch
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 87