Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146146 times)

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #255 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:04 am »

Yep, and I really like all the different star colors now!
They've said we can get better warp drives and/or upgrades, but they haven't said just how good they'll be.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 15, 2016, 03:13:36 pm »

Similarly, any space game without seamless planet landing, a massive variety in land-able planets and all the other things it's bringing to the table will be seen as a bit old school.

Yeah, good thing Starflight set that precedent in 1986.  Otherwise we might not have had Elite: Frontier in '93.

I am cautiously optimistic about what you are saying, but (as you point out) this sort of stuff has been done before and, while having an influence on some few niche games that followed, failed to set any sort of larger precedent for space games as a whole.

cautiously optimistic.  will certainly get it when it is on discount.

Yeah, I mean obviously this has been done before, but not really in an interactive or in a 'realistic 3d' way. Things like Evcheron have done that sort of thing recently, but the 'fly onto any planet' thing has always been a bit of a gimmick with no real interaction.

This is really the first game of the type to be getting real mainstream attention, and I'm hopeful that if it works out we'll see more developers pushing the 'open world' concept.

Yes, because AAA game developers are well known for their innovation and dedication to not beating concepts to death.
they don't innovate, they milk as much cash out of the flavor of the year as possible. if this is successful we'll see more.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 15, 2016, 04:12:11 pm »

I was being sarcastic, but yeah, that's exactly what will happen.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2016, 01:24:45 am »

The difference is twofold: A) video games are now a multi-billion dollar per year industry, and b) it's only kind of recently become socially acceptable to be a hardcore gamer, so a lot of people haven't seen the older niche stuff and actually think this stuff is new. With all of the hubbub about the VR headsets, I've heard precisely one person reference the Virtual Boy in my store, aside from me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2016, 03:35:54 am »

With all of the hubbub about the VR headsets, I've heard precisely one person reference the Virtual Boy in my store, aside from me.

Who else had a vfx-1 or one of its successors?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2016, 04:54:01 am »

The old VFX wasn't actually stereoscopic, it just strapped a screen infront of your face and used some motion contrl that you could map to an input.

It was OK for any cockpit type game, but the close proximity if the screen plus no stereo vision made it a little wonky.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 19, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »

I remember my next door neighbours having an old VR headset sort of thing. It had only one game, and that was a fighter pilot game that I NEVER got the hang of because its graphics were so bad you could tell precisely two things on it: Jack and shit.

Yeah, I remember that game!

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2016, 01:03:49 pm »

Well, it looks like they delayed it to August 9th. I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend.  :(

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:03 pm »

How the HECK is this game getting more popular with LESS information?

I am honestly getting spiteful at this point and hoping the game is a stunning failure just so people learn what Pre-orders are for.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2016, 06:30:16 pm »

people learn what Pre-orders are for.
Never gonna happen

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2016, 06:35:43 pm »

How the HECK is this game getting more popular with LESS information?

I am honestly getting spiteful at this point and hoping the game is a stunning failure just so people learn what Pre-orders are for.

Looking at the actual community, it's a bevy of misinformation, misunderstandings and general self-hype. It's quite amazing.

I am somewhat excited. Optimistic, maybe. Not really too much care.

But man oh man do people just say shit without knowing anything. I have seen a multitude of people say No Man's Sky is:

1. The first game to procedurally generate worlds on the fly (they never paid attention when playing Minecraft?? Space Engine also does this)

2. The first game to procedurally generate a universe (Space Engine, Spore, Elite from fuckin' 1984)

I've also seen them throw around the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets figure as if it's impressive. Elite had 8 galaxies of 256 planets each, which is pretty much exactly as impressive since Elite ran on 8-bit computers (being from, again, 1984), meaning that 256 back then is equivalent to 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 now, those numbers being the maximum size of an unsigned 8-bit and unsigned 64-bit integer, respectively.

No Man's Sky is impressive, but god damn the people hyping it just have no idea what procgen is or why it's done.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 13, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »

So basically its not getting more popular from less info, its getting more popular from wrong info.

[xkcd about people being wrong on the internet]
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2016, 07:21:27 pm »

Elite's designers actually chose not to have uncountable numbers of star systems and galaxies because they didn't want it to feel overwhelming, iirc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2016, 07:22:57 pm »

I don't see any difference at all between pre-ordering, and buying the game as soon as its released. Similarly, standing in line waiting for a store to open at midnight to buy the game before anyone else. Not much different than pre-ordering and I never saw anyone complain about that. The only difference is if someone waits for reviews to come out (from actual people, not the shady review sites) and doesn't buy it at release, or stand in line at a store. Though standing in line at a store doesn't really happen as much as it used to, and its mostly for console games these days.

Never saw someone complain about people standing in line at a store. Dunno why they complain about pre-ordering. Most of the time, midnight releases one had to order before hand anyway. Where was all the outrage then?

Sounds like a bunch of salty gamers making a big fuss about pre-ordering. Probably the same old cranky gamers that complained about PC games going digital lol. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with game boxes, cds and all that junk taking up so much space. That was too annoying, hate dealing with game boxes and cds. Digital, way better. Plus digital games are much cheaper on sale. The same people I see complain about that (TotalBiscuit especially, he was first person I know of to complain about pre-orderers. Pretty sure he complained about PC going digital too rofl. I know one popular youtuber did anyway), I never heard/read them complain about people buying the game as soon as its released. There is literally no difference, except one is paying money before hand, but it comes out to be the same price anyway and the person is still not reading reviews, because they are still buying it as soon as it comes out. Don't see the difference, with the minor thing that one is paying before the game is out. Still no different than buying on release day.

And usually pre-ordering gives you some kinda bonus anyway, and often times pre-ordering is actually CHEAPER than waiting for a full release. So if someone is gonna buy the game on release day or stand in line. They might as well get a "free" goody or/and a slightly cheaper price for the game.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 87