Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145935 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2016, 08:55:34 pm »

I think that there's a fundamental split between what I'm going to call "VR games" (walking simulators, where the point is being immersed) and "crunchy games" (which are about some kind of puzzle or mission or goal whatever).

There's a lot of overlap between these two things--specifically, that there's a lot of fun in role-playing games to have beautiful, realistic environments in which to immerse yourself.

If we cast No Man's Sky as a VR game, I really can't say much about it--because as noted, my interest in VR is literally zero, so I think other people should make that judgment. For "crunchy games," I think that there is a serious design problem with the habit of making things larger and larger and larger, because so much of the goal is that final payoff, the feeling of "ok, I worked and worked, and now I succeeded." There's not really dimensional limitations to the "explore" impulse in the same way that there's limitations to the "slay the dragon" impulse, thus changing design requirements between these two in a fairly major way.

I don't think most people are looking at this directly as an exploration of the limitations of procedural generation. At least for me, the issue is that the usual limitations of procedural generation are directly opposed to creating any sense of mystery, subtlety, or mystique, at least for more than a short time. Once you've explored enough to "see" the limits of the system, you reach a point where you technically don't know what's coming up, but nothing can surprise you.

With this game, my fear is that I'd get partway through the galaxy and everything would start feeling like new versions of the same things. That's not the wonder I want to get from a space exploration game. No matter how big it technically is at that point, it stops feeling big.

And yeah, this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2016, 10:04:09 pm »

... That was the optional main objective in Spore, too. Are there initiation Borg in the way?

This isn't Spore. And this isn't EA. I don't think it's fair to compare other companies to EA (....except maybe Ubisoft). I'm not sure why people do it. Sure, maybe Maxis was technically the developer, but you can't really say they were not pressured by higher-ups at EA.

And I still think people are being overly harsh toward NMS, but whatever. I disagree with most points, though I do technically understand the lines of reasoning. The only thing that will solve this is the game's release.

Although I kinda fear a self-fulfilling prophecy among people so strongly convinced this game will be awful.... but oh well, their loss, I guess.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2016, 03:34:57 am »

Spore wasn't bad but was nothing as described, like speed and strength was going to be function of the body plan and not part statistics: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ScRG_reIw
Al so this thread collect load of context from producers http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/8555.page
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:46:14 am by LoSboccacc »

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2016, 06:55:33 am »

They'd really have to give access to their procedural algorithms for people to mod it properly, and I doubt they'd do that when it's basically they're one propitiatory thing.
Well, maybe - or maybe not. I`m not a dev, but think perhaps it is not necessary to give up your entire source code to make a game moddable. Especially if they would just release some construction kit. But yeah, it`s improbable it will happen...not many other AAA devs do that (apart from Bethsoft and then they get hated for it anyway :P)

Well plus there are a lot of moddable games out there without any good mods.

Modality aren't some magic "insert goodness" button.
Groundbreaking insight mate...thanks for sharing :D

As for the "lot of moddable games" there might be reasons for that...such as the fact that "moddable" is a vague term. If somebody went and fixed few values with hex ed and called it a "mod" doesn`t mean the game is moddable on the scale of other titles with flexible engines or dedicated mod support. Others might be "moddable" but also awful, obscure or having no fan base - hence no mods.

Overall, I find this thread really fascinating. To me it`s not even about the NMS itself anymore but about it being another example of gaming groupthink. I bet if this game was just some unknown thing, Kickstarted by couple of starving devs with no SONY stigma attached, we would see a 100+ page thread here with people tripping over each other just to say how much they love this concept (That Which Sleeps for example).

Instead, folk bleat on about Spore, walking sims (despite all the info against this tired cliche) and how proc gen sucks and how we need a structure and direction or some such...it`s quite funny really. There`s zillion other similar games on this forum with similar MO  - including the very game which is the reason we`re all here - and they`re okay. Bu tNMS sucks and will crash and burn though. Roll on, teh intehwebs :D

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2016, 08:42:56 am »

Overall, I find this thread really fascinating. To me it`s not even about the NMS itself anymore but about it being another example of gaming groupthink. I bet if this game was just some unknown thing, Kickstarted by couple of starving devs with no SONY stigma attached, we would see a 100+ page thread here with people tripping over each other just to say how much they love this concept (That Which Sleeps for example).

Instead, folk bleat on about Spore, walking sims (despite all the info against this tired cliche) and how proc gen sucks and how we need a structure and direction or some such...it`s quite funny really. There`s zillion other similar games on this forum with similar MO  - including the very game which is the reason we`re all here - and they`re okay. Bu tNMS sucks and will crash and burn though. Roll on, teh intehwebs :D
It shouldn't be fascinating - it's pretty much the one truism in gaming that a game getting swallowed up by a corp with tight profit margins and a need to please everyone is never good. Similarly, it turning out to be low on exciting stuff to do is a valid concern as it's common in procedurally generated games

I think most people do love the idea, it's just that there are obvious risks which it's sometimes good to discuss/vent about.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2016, 09:03:50 am »

Quote from: Retropunch
it's pretty much the one truism in gaming that a game getting swallowed up by a corp with tight profit margins and a need to please everyone is never good. Similarly, it turning out to be low on exciting stuff to do is a valid concern as it's common in procedurally generated games

But both these claims are untrue. One, Sony didn`t buy them and they refused direct cash injections. Seems like a deal where you exchange publicity for exclusivity. Also Sony has a history of supporting indies/original games without typical corporate interference: Blow`s new game, Journey, Shenmue, Media Molecule and so on. This is not exactly EA/Activision style we see here.

Secondly, it`s been weeks since the news blowout, we now know everything about gameplay but most people are still locked in the same "nothing to do" mode. It`s just illogical, plus like I said, there are heaps of threads on this forum supporting games which by the same (lack of) logic should be condemned and negated much much more.

Also, I struggle to think of any of  these alleged procedural games that are so unexciting. What are they? Civ? Spelunky? Elite? Dwarf Fortress?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2016, 10:23:49 am »

I don't have much to contribute to this discussion but I think this old RPS article might be relevant. It's well written at least.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2016, 12:00:34 pm »

It looks like you think I'm one of the big "bleaters." Baa.

1. I had no idea that it had become an AAA-published game. I thought that it was still indie. I have been criticizing it as an indie game, which is the context in which "getting overly excited about proc. gen." is usually a problem.

2. What evidence against the tired cliche of walking sims? There is a variety of games like Journey or whatever, or Proteus, or (I could go on) that have been very popular and are about, well... mostly simulating walking through a beautiful environment. There's all of those "zen games," too. I realize that "walking sim" is an old pejorative, but if the top selling point here is "exploring a beautiful procedurally generated environment," then it fits with those other ones. Whether it has spaceships or is about ~feelings~ or not. That was the point of the categorization.

3. I do not, have not, and never will play DF because it's not the kind of game that I like. Believe it or not, I came here to play Mafia.

It really pisses me off when I put a lot of effort into explaining "I prefer X for a few reasons, this is in category Y, I will not like it regardless of whether it is "good" or not but I think that there are z1, z2, ... zn questions that we could use to reframe the conversation" I get back "So you're saying that this thing sucks because it's Category Y!!"

I don't think that there's any need to get offended? Unless you also get offended when people see an argument about meat and say "I'm a vegetarian so I don't have any skin in the game, but I thought these questions might be helpful?"

Also, I struggle to think of any of  these alleged procedural games that are so unexciting. What are they? Civ? Spelunky? Elite? Dwarf Fortress?

quelle surprise, a list of games that I don't play. Because I find them unexciting. See also: Alpha Centauri, The Binding of Isaac, AudioSurf, Crypt of the NecroDancer... and on and on. They were definitely objectively good games, but they didn't hold my attention in the same way that, say, the Tales and Final Fantasy games do. I prefer puzzle and role-playing games, almost always in linear, human-designed contexts these days.

I finished exactly one playthrough of BoI, one playthrough of AC, and one playthrough of CivII. I figured out a winning strategy for the goal that I found most interesting and I didn't want to play those games anymore, because that's the kind of person I am. The procedural generation made everything too samey because I had developed a strategy that took it into account. Call me shallow if you like, but it's just not my thing. When I used to play .Hack//SIGN, I was able to figure out the rules that the designers used to make the dungeons. I could look at the floor plan and say: "ok, treasure chest that way, boss fight this way." I was never wrong, because they didn't put in rules to subvert their rules. It was really boring. Procedural generation has come a long way since then, but that experience stuck with me. I can't get excited about doing a dungeon built on the same rules as the last dungeon, populated by reskinned creatures with one-two attack patterns apiece, with treasures put within a certain randomized range.

Will NMS be like that? I don't know. I really hope not!

I did not like Final Fantasy XII because it started using more procedural generation elements like dropping infinity+1 swords randomly in such-and-such dungeon, attached to such-and-such boss monster. Any game where I have to play it over and over and over and over again in order to *possibly* get the particular thing I'm looking for is not one I like. This includes virtually any game which has a completion list based on random drops of extremely rare designed items. You can work out the probabilities: "So... I'll have to kill 500 slimes. No thanks!"

A game that worked well with that is Stardew Valley, which both has a luck variable and various things that you can do to control that luck variable. It was still a matter of luck, but there was something you could do about it in the long term.

I've also never played a game with randomly designed items (for example--Borderlands 2) that I enjoyed. I get to feeling like the game is handing me the same damn thing over and over again.

There's a certain point when I realize that I'm just sitting there waiting for the random number generator to hand me something and I have no control over when I get it. Or the world is developed predictably, and I can read it. One example of when that worked really well was Logical Journey of the Zoombinis, because the point was to become good at that variety of meta-thinking. But--most of these proc. gen. games do not take their legibility in that matter into account, whether as part of the worldbuilding or as part of the gameplay that they expect.

Also, I think that the title you're looking for is called "Starbound."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2016, 01:42:56 pm »

3. I do not, have not, and never will play DF because it's not the kind of game that I like. Believe it or not, I came here to play Mafia.   

Are you just trying to make us all sad?  :'(

Hmm...  Im trying to think of a procedural game I found totally boring, but i cant come up with anything. I guess maybe I'm a fan of proc-gen stuff.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2016, 01:50:43 pm »

For me, any game that has procedural generation tacked on rather than being designed around is pretty meh to me. One example is the Bloodborne chalice dungeons.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2016, 02:06:32 pm »

stuff
Sorry, what?
I've been refraining from posting in this thread because I've already made my point, but seriously? Ever heard of opinions?
Maybe, just maybe, some people can have valid opinions without you immediately generalizing all of them and dismissing their claims via huge straw man assumptions.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2016, 02:50:50 pm »

I'm a fan of procedural generation. When I said this game would have to push the limits of procedural generation to be good, Dwarf Fortress is precisely what I was thinking of. DF takes procedural generation to a level that wows me, but it makes big sacrifices in graphics and usability to do it. No Man's Sky promises graphics and usability, so from my perspective it looks like it's either going to sacrifice something else (depth) or that it's going to be a more impressive proc gen game than Dwarf Fortress. I don't think the latter is very likely.

I want this game to succeed. I'll probably be interested in it even if it falls short of its goals. But I have concerns, and they're the same concerns I had two years ago when I saw the trailer and knew the premise, and had no more experience with it. That worries me. I've read recent articles claiming to focus on gameplay and they spend most of their time talking about scenery. Heck, even though I've been looking for things to like about the game, I've mainly discovered things to dislike, such as the fact that worlds aren't saved between player visits so nobody can leave a lasting mark on them. If there's all this information on the gameplay out there, can you link it to us to try and change our minds instead of acting like we just want to be negative?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:57:19 pm by penguinofhonor »

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2016, 03:53:22 pm »

https://repo.nmsdb.info/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/wiki/archive

Tons of info there about confirmed features and things that aren't in the game as well.

There are likely secret things HG is not telling us. They've said they want us to find out some things for ourselves when we finally get to play. Unlike typical game industry news, they are NOT going to tell us everything there is to know before the game even comes out. This game has a ton (not all, but lots) of what most space games have, plus a whole lot more. "But there's nothing to do!" is a total fallacy. If you dislike procedural generation, or you don't like space games in the first place... then maybe it's not the game for you, but that doesn't mean it's a boring game of total nothingness.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:56:20 pm by GrayFox »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »

Quote from: Retropunch
it's pretty much the one truism in gaming that a game getting swallowed up by a corp with tight profit margins and a need to please everyone is never good. Similarly, it turning out to be low on exciting stuff to do is a valid concern as it's common in procedurally generated games

But both these claims are untrue. One, Sony didn`t buy them and they refused direct cash injections. Seems like a deal where you exchange publicity for exclusivity. Also Sony has a history of supporting indies/original games without typical corporate interference: Blow`s new game, Journey, Shenmue, Media Molecule and so on. This is not exactly EA/Activision style we see here.

Secondly, it`s been weeks since the news blowout, we now know everything about gameplay but most people are still locked in the same "nothing to do" mode. It`s just illogical, plus like I said, there are heaps of threads on this forum supporting games which by the same (lack of) logic should be condemned and negated much much more.

I was describing why the forum is discussing NMS in the way it is, not that I believe all that is 100% true about NMS.

However, I do think that being bought out for exclusivity is a really bad - it's a nasty tactic by Sony (I know microsoft do it too) and it seems a shame to do so. More than that, regardless of the NMS team's integrity, there will always be some softening of edges when you join up - if they went too off the beaten path it wouldn't sell, and Sony might give them a nudge - I'm not saying this will/has happened, just that it could.

In terms of procgen games which are unexciting, things like malevolence (http://www.malevolencegame.com/) spring to mind - an 'endless' RPG, but after about 3-4 hours you've definitely seen everything there is to see.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »

As far as I know, Hello Games was allowed to keep total creative control.
Sony doesn't own them & doesn't really bother them much at all. (unlike Spore, Maxis, EA)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:16:42 pm by GrayFox »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 87