Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145830 times)

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2016, 05:54:25 am »

I mean everything's procedurally generated but there's not actually a ton of variation.

Well, you just divided by zero. It`s not an unusual approach to the subject, however a bit strange, given it`s voiced by a senior poster on these forums.

It`s kind of like saying that a forest looks all the same, there`s not much variation. View outside my window? Loads of buildings, kinda samey looking. Basically, it`s what you - your mind - does with this view, by means of interpretation.

Okay, it might be a bit crude comparison, since in videogaming the whole point is a bit different. There`s no way you can make a really large scale worlds without procedural generation, or at least some sort of recycling. You can chisel out a GTA or a Skyrim - spending a trainload of money - but a galaxy? No dice.

Another point: there is no "real" replayability without randomness...at least not in particular genres of single player gaming. This ties with permadeath and should be really a Roguelike 101, unnecessary to explain here.

Lastly, it`s back to your brain, and how it deals with it. You ever get it or you don`t. I should know, because for most of my gaming life I was stuck in the "non-random" mindset. I`m glad  I saw the light recently ;)

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2016, 06:05:39 am »

Its priced the way it is because physical copies and sony. Nuff said
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2016, 11:59:32 am »

Its priced the way it is because physical copies and sony. Nuff said

Honestly, I feel about the price the way I feel that people should always charge for concerts and poetry readings: that there is no such thing as free art, that art takes time, work and therefore money, and that when we insist artists do their work for free, we are condemning them to poverty, only to later wonder why "starving artist" is such a stereotype. 

If indy artists charge as much as corporations, this just means they will be able to make a decent living and make more games.  If anything, we should ask why AAA titles charge so much, given how much they save through vertical integration and managing the distribution market.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2016, 02:59:53 pm »

It's a lot more worth the $60 than some other new games.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »

Wait, is the game released? In closed beta or something?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »

♪Opiiniooons♫
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:17 pm »

Yes, sorry.  I didn't think I could confuse people that easily. ???

It will (when it comes out) probably be a lot more worth it than some other games.

*shoot people*
*blow stuff up*
*shoot more people*
congrats, you saved the day, game over. come back again next year....
.... for the same thing, all over again, for another $60!

Nothing wrong with shooters, some are really fun but... I already made my point, I think.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:21:08 pm by GrayFox »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »

The full description does sound pretty sweet, I'll admit.  It really depends on how unique and interesting these planets are.  The scavenging and upgrades gives it some longevity that pure exploration doesn't have.  My main concern there is what survival actually constitutes.  Survival as in gathering food and water is a fucking chore and drowns the rest of the game in drudgery.

As for the randomness, I think that's still a concern even with dorf forts.  maybe especially with dorfs.  I mean everything's procedurally generated but there's not actually a ton of variation.  All the towns look the same, the geography is generally similar, everyone has a detailed history but none of it matters, etc.

I have to agree - if the planets really are wildly different from each other than I can imagine a sort of 'just one more world' (instead of 'just one more turn') feeling, but if they're just slightly different copies then the rest of the gameplay will really have to be awesome.

I really like the core concept that the final goal (to get to the centre of the galaxy) is a goal which is really difficult to achieve, and I can imagine that'll push me onwards, but my worry is that there isn't much in terms of difficulty scaling. If it's all procedurally generated, it's unlikely that there will be much of a difficulty curve. I'll be interested to see what they do with that though.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2016, 03:50:17 pm »

The full description does sound pretty sweet, I'll admit.  It really depends on how unique and interesting these planets are.  The scavenging and upgrades gives it some longevity that pure exploration doesn't have.  My main concern there is what survival actually constitutes.  Survival as in gathering food and water is a fucking chore and drowns the rest of the game in drudgery.

As for the randomness, I think that's still a concern even with dorf forts.  maybe especially with dorfs.  I mean everything's procedurally generated but there's not actually a ton of variation.  All the towns look the same, the geography is generally similar, everyone has a detailed history but none of it matters, etc.

I have to agree - if the planets really are wildly different from each other than I can imagine a sort of 'just one more world' (instead of 'just one more turn') feeling, but if they're just slightly different copies then the rest of the gameplay will really have to be awesome.

I really like the core concept that the final goal (to get to the centre of the galaxy) is a goal which is really difficult to achieve, and I can imagine that'll push me onwards, but my worry is that there isn't much in terms of difficulty scaling. If it's all procedurally generated, it's unlikely that there will be much of a difficulty curve. I'll be interested to see what they do with that though.
I'm pretty sure some stuff has been said about things getting harder and weirder the closer you get to the center of the galaxy.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2016, 06:48:29 pm »

Wait, is the game released? In closed beta or something?

Available for pre orders.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2016, 09:37:00 am »

Yes the price is nothing. I can work for 3 hours to buy it and I will easily play more that 3 hours, no hype just seeing the confirmed gameplay and I like.
Greyfox you are absolutely right.
Lets buy another shooter with the first 3 levels polished to a mirror sheen and kill some more evil archtypical terrorists just because I am the chosen one that can handle being shot hundreds of times before my vision enters red rage mode only to count down from ten to prevent my high blood pressure killing me.
Games are fucking rediculous nowdays, only shooter im going to play in the future is an acurate one with organs and bones that can be shot to accurate effect.
Im over this crap they pass off to use, seriously 3 years of development and its a smoother copy paste of engine controls and character models, oh but we needed the 3 years to paint the guys pant stiching and his indepth story.
Fuuuuck.
This rant is far from over.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So im pretty glad these guys are making a fun space survival game not about eating 0g chickpeas
And the language learning is a neat little touch. Sure many will dislike it. But yoy dont need to interact with the sentient aliens, you may blast them if you feel the need
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and down the line a race that hates the blasted race may favour your actions.
I like how alot of people have no clue about this game or think it will be boring because they wont be disapointed when the next call of shit, or pat benatar love is a battlefield 5 comes out, they can consume their low calorie meals.
Im looking for proper games and will never buy a shit game like the masses do
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2016, 01:07:06 pm »

Yes, well, following up that remark, I mostly just wanted to leave this here. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/49ex7d/what_is_no_mans_sky_my_definitive_fool_proof/
This may be exactly the same thing you saw on the gamespot article, but it has some links to other interesting articles just on the main page of the subreddit. It's not actually all crazed hype.

But personally, I'll buy this. I really quite enjoy explorationandotherstuff-in-space games, so this is right up my alley. Each to their own, I guess.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2016, 01:49:28 pm »

wow.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2016, 02:01:53 pm »

wow.

Vague. Why wow? Wow at what?  The Reddit thing? ???

Daggoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2016, 02:32:02 am »

Posting to watch! Game looks outstanding so far, I hope it stays the course.
“I think I've reduced the amount of blood in my caffeine system to an acceptable level.” - Khouri

The Elder Scrolls Online: Klavain - Altmer
Eve Online: Neville Klavain -  Gallente - Miners!

I don't RP female characters unless forced per game, so if you run into a Daggoth or Klavain it is probably me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 87