Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145751 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2016, 07:02:48 pm »

I've always thought this. It's just that a lot of people only seem to be realizing this just now/recently.

And it's because people are hyped up for what I see as nothing. Seriously. People are getting so excited saying "OH MY GOD YOU CAN EXPLORE SO MANY PROCEDURALLY GENERATED PLANETS!!!" when we already have that. Stardew valley is nothing like this.

I'm sure some people will like it, and I hope so. I just really do not get this hype.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2016, 07:08:03 pm »

My my, people are so salty all of a sudden.

I am trying desperately not to let people make this another Spore.

If I convince one person to wait until it is released instead of pre-order. I'll be happy.
You're going to have to explain that to me. How does convincing people not to pre-order (probably a wasted effort; those inclined to pre-ordering will ignore you while those who won't pre-order are probably against such practices anyway) prevent another Spore? And what part about Spore are you actually concerned with?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2016, 07:10:31 pm »

And it's because people are hyped up for what I see as nothing. Seriously. People are getting so excited saying "OH MY GOD YOU CAN EXPLORE SO MANY PROCEDURALLY GENERATED PLANETS!!!" when we already have that. Stardew valley is nothing like this.

The real potentially harmful hype (people who will be disappointed) comes from mainstream media and casuals who don't know that, indeed, we already have that.
Just see interviews where 'journalists' are surprised things are procedurally generated, and then struggle to understand what 'procedural generation' means.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2016, 08:11:00 pm »

I do not get the hype for NMS. There have arrays been a ton of games to do infinite procedural generation, and numerous with planets.

It looks like space combat and ...exploring planets? "Ooh, look, a new combination of previously-seen trees!"
As I think i said before, the most unique thing about No Man's Sky is that it was shown at E3. It's got a marketing budget, which no other games of this type have had before.

So basically, it was shown to a bunch of uninformed people who think it's unique.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2016, 08:15:09 pm »

I do not get the hype for NMS. There have arrays been a ton of games to do infinite procedural generation, and numerous with planets.

It looks like space combat and ...exploring planets? "Ooh, look, a new combination of previously-seen trees!"
As I think i said before, the most unique thing about No Man's Sky is that it was shown at E3. It's got a marketing budget, which no other games of this type have had before.

So basically, it was shown to a bunch of uninformed people who think it's unique.
Well....not true. Both Spore and Starbound were shown at different E3s.

Also Elite: Dangerous, which has the huge universe but lacks much in the way of planetary content.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:49 pm »

The real potentially harmful hype (people who will be disappointed) comes from mainstream media and casuals who don't know that, indeed, we already have that.
Well no, we don't already have that. At least, not in any meaningful way. Procedural planets usually just means fractal perlin noise heightmap overlaid with fractal perlin noise trees, color based on height, and voila, you have a shadertoy: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4slGD4

Problem is, that's boring. Really hella boring. You get the Minecraft effect where, when you've seen it once, you've seen it a million times. For a really robust, interesting procedural system, you need to put a ton of development effort into a very large and diverse set of intertwined generation algorithms. Which is something we really haven't seen before.

Whether No Man's Sky ends up being that game, I dunno. But with such a strong focus on procedural generation, it at least has the right mindset to attempt it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »

It CAN be a 'walking simulator'

All the "Be careful of the hype" you need.

Right there smack dab on the features page.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2016, 09:16:23 pm »

One game immediately comes to mind.
Shores of Hazeron.

A game where creatures, planets, and solar systems are randomly generated. I know, people can argue that it's not the best implementation or whatever, but at its core, its the same. Except Hazeron's randomly generated content just serves as a setting for the game. Not the point of the game. Sure, No Man Sky's generation may be better than Hazeron (I haven't paid enough attention to the specifics to be sure), but as I said, they're the same in their core.

Well-done procedural generation can serve as a nice setting, but when the entire point of the game is to explore this procedurally generated content, it'll get tiring quick. As I said, it'll just end up like "Oh wow, that's a new pattern of trees that I've already individually seen!"

But I'm missing my own point here. Regardless of how well done the procedural generation is, or even if it's done perfectly and every planet is completely new, people are still overhyping it as THE NEXT BIG GAME. And it's just a bit of space combat with procedurally generated exploration? There's only a certain amount of things you can explore and discover before you get tired of doing the exact same action over and over again, no matter how different each planet is.
Better yet, see what Neonivek just said in the time it took me to type this out.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2016, 09:41:50 pm »

Hey Chiefwaffles? People can and do enjoy things that you personally might not enjoy. Shocking, I know.

Maybe NMS won't have exactly the sort of content you're looking for. That's perfectly fine. For other people however, exploring a huge universe and seeing the sights is all that matters. Even if they eventually see "everything" the game has to offer, many of those people will walk away satisfied.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2016, 09:45:28 pm »

Sheesh.

I'm only talking about the hype. As I already said, I know a decent amount of people would/will like NMS. Except an extreme amount of people seem to be expecting things which just aren't in the game. From the promise of procedural generation and spaceships, I saw way too many people immediately jump to conclusions about NMS which aren't even true.

But yeah. As I already said, I know people will like NMS. I hope they do. I know I'm definitely going to consider it and look at some actual gameplay stuff after it's released, but the hype is just over-the-top and not matching what the game actually is at all.

EDIT: Once again, to re-conclude my point which I've stated numerous times already, the only problem I have with NMS is the extreme over-the-top hype not matching the game. The game looks like it could be fun, I hope it is, and I know many people will enjoy it, but many are expecting way too much.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:47:56 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:34 pm »

I still don't know what sort of point you're trying to make about "omg so much hype", because this thread's been mostly anti-hype if anything. Plenty of other things have seen far more excitement than this.

Is it because it's been in development for a while? Because pre-orders have started? So friggin what?  I genuinely do not see this game as overly-hyped compared to most other recent and upcoming releases.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2016, 10:27:46 pm »

I dunno I am done with my warnings :P

As long as people don't go on and on and on it should be fine.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2016, 10:33:08 pm »

Dude, the only ones going "on and on" here are the naysayers.

Besides...know how to avoid 99% of the hype for any given thing? By staying away from the threads for those things.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2016, 02:03:00 am »

I hope the planets have the same sense of huge that Rodina did (Where the planets were literally earth-sized)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2016, 02:12:24 am »

Apparently they are planet-sized, but whether that is accurate or not remains up in the air.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 87