Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146217 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #825 on: August 13, 2016, 11:46:40 am »

My crashes were likely because my old, and way better, cpu fried a few days ago, more or less exactly after I pre-purchased. I'm using one that is probably just below the specs, which is pretty damn sad. That said, a lot of people who don't get the crash are getting Arkham Knight-levels of performance. So much for QA.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 13, 2016, 11:54:03 am »

So, a friend of mine invited me over to play on PS4. I am completely sold. Holy crap, the game is gorgeous. It ran smoothly the whole time, no hiccups, no crashes, no nothing but good performance. There are some issues with pop-in, but draw distances have to be limited or the game will run like shit. I wanted a Triple-A version of Starbound, and it pretty much nailed my expectations. It's not perfect (flying and shooting mechanics kind of suck with a controller,) but I will dump a lot of time into it. Exploring is fun and well spaced, planets are enormous, and the atmosphere of the game is relaxing in general. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted.
Try the auto-aim boltcaster upgrades once you get them. Makes it pretty damn easy, haha.

Going to try a set of NVidia-specific tweaks I happened across on the Steam forums, report soon-ish.

-Set FPS to Max
-Set V-sync Off in game (Maxxed everything else out)
-Changed FOV to 120 (Individual choice)
-Set Open GL triple buffering to ON in control center.
-Set V-Sync to ON in CC
- Set AF to 16x in CC
-Disabled Shader Cache in CC
-Set priority of NMS.EXE in TM to Normal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 13, 2016, 12:16:07 pm »

I have finally scanned and named every last rock, plant, and animal on my starter planet. I am finally free to go explore other systems, my OCD wouldn't let me leave that first planet undocumented.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 13, 2016, 12:29:05 pm »

I don't think I get it.

I finished the first couple of missions, repaired my Hyperdrive but so far the game mainly seems to revolve around incessantly recharging the batteries of all my stuff, all the time? I guess that's fun for some people?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 13, 2016, 12:40:23 pm »

That's what it is. Jump land mine repeat. The thrill is in that one planet in ten that gets you a weird or fun fauna, mayne fighting the occasional pirate.

Probably the most fun part is trying to work around the profanity filter.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 13, 2016, 01:12:30 pm »

br@$$ signs?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 13, 2016, 04:25:38 pm »

Not even that hard. Already seen one system with a filter-circumventing dicks-out-for-harambe.

Re: those tweaks above: my FPS dropped 5-10, but it really stabilized. Perfectly solid at 60 throughout multiple hours of play, the only fluctuations were 1FPS to 59/61, rather than the 5ish ones I was seeing before, and there were no major spikes at all. So yeah, looks like a lot of it is just bad optimization.

Also found a planet with very mild environmental hazards, Sentinels that don't care what you do, and massive gold deposits everywhere. Been making bank.

Re: Content to come: They've definitely got the foundation for it. There are a lot of recipes for advanced crafting materials that don't have a use beyond selling yet with descriptions that say they're used for constructing ships, planetary outposts, &c. I'd lay decent money on player freighters being constructed rather than pre-made (though probably in the sense of choosing how their modules are stuck together rather than block-by-block).

There's a trick to mining: if you mine until your multitool is about to overheat, just release the trigger for a moment then resume firing. It completely resets the heat bar without having to wait for it to cool.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 13, 2016, 04:32:19 pm »

So, it didn't take long for people to use third-party programs and API to workaround the game's need for full OpenGL 4.5.
Here's the fix/workaround for the white screen [initialization] crash on reddit.

Right now, I just entered the game, went past the crashing screen, walked around for a minute and tweaked the configurations.
I'm not sure how much FPS I'm getting on a HD 6850, but it seemed playable..but I think the 1GB VRAM available will cause me way more issues than the OpenGL check override.
I'm fully expecting to be unable to play eventually, but at least I get to try it out by myself for a bit.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 13, 2016, 04:39:25 pm »

Hahahahaha.

I dunno what the odds of this are, but I just saw the same system pass by twice in the opening crawl.  Just in case you thought that sequence was showing an actual galaxy or anything that meant anything.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 13, 2016, 04:42:44 pm »

Was it a procgen name or a player-created one? Gods know that there are going to be a lot of repeats on the latter...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:49:25 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 13, 2016, 04:49:10 pm »

It was definitely procedural.

Also, is there a way to turn off the big letterbox sequence that happens when you get a milestone?  Milestones are way too frequent and the thing it does is obtrusive and takes away controls.

It seems like every time I'm starting to get into a groove and forget the problems with the game it's like "IMMERSION DETECTED:  GIVE HIM A FUCKIN CHEEVO OR SOMETHING"
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 13, 2016, 04:50:06 pm »

Ayy lmao.

And god damn I wish, that thing is obnoxious. It'd be one thing if they were actually rare, but you get them every time you do like five of a thing.

Also, some people are reporting that the graphical blurring is because the FOV settings aren't accurate. Setting them to 130-150 in NMS\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML is supposed to get you to around 90 real FOV (as opposed to 90 in the game's settings). Gonna test after dinner.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 13, 2016, 05:17:20 pm »

Be sure to let me know about any graphic tricks and FOV you find. My GPU can run it fine on low, I think after the initial patch battery it might be playable on low without too much annoyances.
The only bizarre stuff I've encountered by playing below min spec is that when you use beacons and stuff, when that thing where the camera goes high into the sky happens, the planet turns invisible and only some plants are visible..its pretty weird, but alright.

As I said, I'm aware I'm using third party stuff, so I can't complain. The right course of action would be to refund it and wait for patches, and getting a better card. But I don't care. LONG LIVE 3+ YEAR OLD CARDS!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 13, 2016, 05:35:11 pm »

so performance issues aside...

You guys think the game is worth getting? Currently I'm super into Starbound as far as space games go (which is WAY better than it used to be), and my favorite thing in Starbound is just roaming around different planets, exploring, setting up bases and stuff. Haven't done much quests or anything, just like to explore for most part. That is what I like to do in games, explore, craft, build. Combat is fun too, but its probably my 4th "favorite" activity to do in games.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 13, 2016, 05:41:11 pm »

Probably, if you can run it. All that's really missing from that cocktail is construction, and that's coming.

--

Grr. Trying to find a ship model I want with a good internal layout is such a nightmare. Q.Q

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 87