Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146062 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #1020 on: August 19, 2016, 04:22:33 am »

Oh I apologize, I don't hate Spore.  :P
And Neo also made me remember it has hundreds of actual, functional features. And I always forget it was a 2008 game since it was so advanced for its time.
NMS just made me give a lot more respect and props to Will Wright and his team. Dang.

And on NMS..I'm too sleepy to think right now, but what is the game's difficulty?
The only bad guys and difficulty is the Pirates, yep, and it's really dumb: they can 'interdict' you (pull you from Pulse Drive travel) and prevent you from jumping or pulsing away..which seems like an artificial, forced, idiotic way to implement some sort of danger and difficulty.

For another example on difficulty, the "advanced combat sentinel" - aka the dog - is really dumb. And if you place yourself behind it, it will try to shoot backwards (and miss, a lot), instead of simply facing you.

Maybe they should fire all of their two QA teams and give all the money to one or two Bay 12ers.

EDIT: And hey, again, I don't wanna bother people who's enjoying the game. Everything happens in its due time..  :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:24:39 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 19, 2016, 04:31:23 am »

Yeah spore was great, im remaking it

Haha nms difficulty is almost non.
You have to be distracted and not paused to die even to pirates.
The suit screams at you anyway.
I often leave my explorer with no enviroshields in a shit planet making dinner and the suit notifications save me everytime.
The only un bugged way ive died was when i had started against 5 pirates with no shields or oxides.
Sean is a casual gamer hardout.
Sean is the epitome of a casual. Has he ever mentioned any games he likes?
I wouldnt be suprised if he said some half assed old game or fable 1.
fucking hipster
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 19, 2016, 04:39:06 am »

Hahaha oh true that, I just realized I went throught the game without dying once.
I played 80% of the game with no upgrades other than full hyperdrive and engines [no shields*], and one time a LOT of pirates decided to come after me, but I managed to pulse away with 2 hit points after holding shift and simply waiting for my death for a long time.

Oh God, I became a NMS-disliker. And less than a week ago I was here indirectly asking for people to wait and play the game before bashing it.
And what's even worse: I will still play it casually. Damn this game for touching all the genres I've been obsessed with for years.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:42:08 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 19, 2016, 04:41:16 am »

Well the Pirates are dangerous...

But only because the controls are so terrible... at least until you learn the "exploit" so to speak.

Spore's Ship to ship combat was really bad... but at LEAST you felt like you were actually fighting.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 19, 2016, 05:24:08 am »

Yeah, after always winning I decided to put on full shields and full lascannon and I just auto aim the pointless encounters. Funny game, like weak mechanics hide it from being a walking, ore blasting, sorting simulator.
Trade feels weak with 7 elements/compounds, you can make a killing even in negative price values, in any thing, because its far too abundant in resources.
I have no care for the flight controls, the holding off your hand should be optional (i liked cause i often do other things during play time) but landing in water sounds like a cool thing to figure out, even terrain and ship damage as you hit a mountain, I get it has its limits but even if you get knocked out and it generates with a loading screen. They arn't scared of loading screens, this game has plenty.
The lore is very obvious. All races are easy to please and highly predictable, not procedural at all. Outfits are okay, kept getting 90s flashbacks with the daft punk cast.
I quite like the text wall descriptions for most things but it also makes me think they lazily did it like this to avoid any AI for the 'complex life'
Ships are pretty.. pretty ugly, both just takes looking.
Ugh and we think updates will fix it.
Nope nope nope, shes broken.
Scam citizen has more modular hopes than this beautifuly ugly game

War
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1025 on: August 19, 2016, 06:31:13 am »

Did you know that all of the player-generated content is stored as a .png? Nothing else but a .png file that also happens to be the thumbnail for the content.
I don't see it as a huge advancement because actually saving stuff as .pngs existed for long time, though I guess the compression is kinda impressive.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 19, 2016, 10:51:49 pm »

I think I won the game. By doing the one thing this game seems to do everything it can to prevent.

Let me tell you all a story all about how
My ship got landed on the ground!
And I'd like to take a minute so sit right there.
I'll tell you how I lost my ship on this world with hot air.

On a world with plenty water where I'd arrived
It had been a while since I had scanned any life
Finding new creatures who had looked very cool
Then I flew over an ocean that this planet had too.
Well I wanted to land and go for a dip
So on a high ridge I had landed my ship!
I took one little dive and dropped to the sea,
Little did I know that this'd slowly end me.

I frolicked and swam in this water all day,
But I had to get going so I went on my way.
I got out of the water and went back to my ship,
'Cept I couldn't cuz the fucker was surrounded by cliffs.

So I wandered on the planet for an hour or eight,
And I screamed to my 'puter, "Fuck you, where's a beacon!?"
I looked at this planet,
"Well, this is my home!"
Now I'll slowly waste away until my ship can be flown.

To summarize, I landed on a piece of ground that turned out to be sheer cliffs on all sides, probably three times the height my jetpack can get me. It was a beautiful jump into the seas, but it screwed me. The only points I've found have been drop pods (and I've found like a dozen of those) or galactic trader spots. Nowhere yet has had a landing pad or one of those ship summoning beacons. The wildlife's neat enough to keep me occupied whilst I try to unfuck myself, and honestly I ain't even mad about the whole situation.

Mind you by this point one of you is probably about to tell me how I am an idiot and there's a real easy fix.

AND AN INQUIRY OF IMPORT!

Got a grenade upgrade to my jawn. I should be able to blow steps into the thing, but is it also possible to blow the ground out from under the ship? If I can make it fall in four blasts as opposed to needing forty to climb I'd rather do that.

Sidenote: So much (admittedly mostly deserved) hate for this game, but honestly it can't be that bad if a player is still entertained when he fucks himself. It's still an excellent game, just not the one people were led to expect.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1027 on: August 19, 2016, 11:01:08 pm »

I was told that your jetpack is unlimited when pushing against a surface and climbing

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 19, 2016, 11:11:02 pm »

Well shit, I must not have tried hard enough then. Well, it's a 20 minute walk back with no distractions, so it's probably going to be another hour before I get there. If it works then excellent! If not, I guess I'll start heading the other direction.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 19, 2016, 11:18:01 pm »

Just look out for overhangs.  You'll be fine.

Pretty sure your ship will not fall under any circumstance.  Seen plenty of floating rocks after mining.  Yesterday after landing on then mininng a flat heridium deposit the bit the ship was sitting on became floating and indestructible.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 19, 2016, 11:22:20 pm »

Did you know that all of the player-generated content is stored as a .png? Nothing else but a .png file that also happens to be the thumbnail for the content.
I don't see it as a huge advancement because actually saving stuff as .pngs existed for long time, though I guess the compression is kinda impressive.

Saving binary data in the .png format and having it still be a coherent image, though? I mean, I know that that's pretty commonly done (almost trivial), but using it for a game you're actually selling and having it be good enough to work is pretty amazing.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 19, 2016, 11:46:43 pm »

Two sides is literally sheer cliff face right into the ocean. The rest is curved around and slopes sharply down for all of ten feet before it curves in on itself. There are no overhangs, believe me. If need be I'll blow my own into it when I get back though. That'll learn it.

This formation has given me the most literal lesson in looking before you leap. I love it. I mean, I hate that it happened to me, but not only do I find the situation entertaining when I take a step back to look at it, but it also forced me to take time on the planet and actually survive.

While the first post was largely a joke, in all honesty it's been one epic god damn journey. The reason I landed where I did was it was the first land I came across closest to the abandoned factory I was looking for. I had jumped into the sea to get to the factory, knowing only that the temperature of the planet was a good old 74C. The ocean was composed of something nonlethal, so I quickly looted the factory and went to the closest shoreline. As my feet hit dry ground my HUD identified a threat and I turn to see a massive worm not unlike the creatures from Dune swimming in circles only yards away. I sigh and climb the slope, believing it would at some point connect to where I had landed. Unfortunately, the ground I was on leveled out well below the mesa I had landed on. And so, heating up again, I went back, killed the seaworm, and cooled off before heading to the nearest beacon.

By my third or fourth beacon with no luck finding something to summon my ship, I have become adept at dipping into pools of liquid and ducking into caves to regulate my temperature. That's when the first storm hit. Visibility dropped to almost nil and my suit's thermal systems were being used up in a quarter of the time. I had lucked out with the first storm, having just left a beacon with a single empty structure.

At around the sixth or seventh beacon I get ambushed by a pack of scavenging dog-like hyena things. They were small, black, and traveled in a pack of five. Luckily I'm not unskilled at holding LMB to win fights, and was able to fight them off. I had also begun traveling using the planet's extensive cave systems. Everything went well until, at one beacon, I get ambushed by this horned lion-like creature. The fight was tough but I was clearly going to win. And of course this is when the second one ran out of the trees at my side. They both get dead, but I get pretty banged up in the process. I manage to patch myself up and continued to adventure, seeking that ever elusive anything populated.

Really quite enjoying the game.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1032 on: August 20, 2016, 09:31:19 am »

Saving binary data in the .png format and having it still be a coherent image, though? I mean, I know that that's pretty commonly done (almost trivial), but using it for a game you're actually selling and having it be good enough to work is pretty amazing.
Yes.
I won't give you an example because the examples I know are both Japanese and NSFW and I don't want to be seen with knowledge of those things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 20, 2016, 10:41:04 am »

[Nevermind, I can't read]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1034 on: August 20, 2016, 10:43:36 am »

Yes.
I won't give you an example because the examples I know are both Japanese and NSFW and I don't want to be seen with knowledge of those things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Too late.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 87