Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Nuclear Throne - Fish Can Roll  (Read 15837 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Nuclear Throne - Fish Can Roll
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2016, 04:03:01 am »

Finally unlocked the new Chicken after way too long playing the game.  What an amazing character.  My second game as her I got gamma guts (which I've NEVER intentionally picked prior to this), extra feet, and throne butt as my first 3 mutations.  I ran around using my body as a weapon and throwing guns at enemies.  Somehow made me feel so much more like Neo than the original slo mo ability ever did.

That run ended when I got to 6-2 with a bouncer SMG and a crossbow at 2/6 health, got killed suicide rushing Lil' Hunter with a minigun that came through the portal.  Not sure that death can really be blamed on the character...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2016, 09:16:46 am »

Yeah, chicken can be pretty fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2016, 10:40:05 pm »

Just got past ball momma for the first time.

The run was ended by-wait for it-Lil' Hunter.  The little shit was even credited with the kill and everything >:(
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2016, 02:23:49 am »

GODDAMN LITTLE HUNTER AAAAAGGGGHHH

Ahem. I like this game so far (I've been playing it an unhealthy amount since I bought it the other day), perhaps apart from the boss battles.
I've managed to kill that little twerp a couple of times, but it always results in me dying as well. Gah.
Any tips for dealing with it?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2016, 02:32:14 am »

Ahem. I like this game so far (I've been playing it an unhealthy amount since I bought it the other day), perhaps apart from the boss battles.
I've managed to kill that little twerp a couple of times, but it always results in me dying as well. Gah.

Breaking line-of-sight with him often baits him into radioing in IDPD.  He can't shoot while doing that, so you can get a free hit.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2016, 03:27:33 am »

The first step is to clear out an area.  You want no ice, no enemies, and no close quarters.  Come out shooting with your best weapon and then if things are too cramped clear out more space with explosives or hammerhead.

Then there are two general ways to approach the fight.  He lands on your position with a slight delay and you can use that to hit him with a really powerful weapon and finish him off super quick.  Or, you can use corners to slowly wear him down.  He won't use his super fast ray of bullets at close range, his ricochet is weapon is super deadly in the open but not bad if you're hugging a corner.  His IDPD spawns are limited so you can wear them down.

By that point in the game you want a powerful single shot weapon like a heavy crossbow or a nuke launcher.  You want it for the final boss anyway so its a good thing to add to your laundry list.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2016, 12:21:45 pm »

I usually try for an assault or gatling slugger, or auto/super crossbow. Both are great for finishing him in seconds. try to get somewhere with good cover, because his bursts are deadly, and the bouncers are nasty. If you've got an explosive weapon or the Hammerhead mutation, you can make yourself some cover by digging into the walls if you need to.

Essentially, corner him somewhere that will let you dodge behind solid cover and burst him down fast.

Alternately, rush him while swinging an energy sword. works ok if you're close enough.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:59 pm »

Just tried this game, its fun but I HATE the ridiculously low amount of ammo.

Unless you are doing some gimmick build speccing full into more ammo mutations is just a no-brainer and even then its very possible to run out even when not spamming bullets.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 04:32:11 pm »

Play robot or fish until you get used to it. I very rarely run out of ammo unless I'm running two weapons that use the same ammo type. You can also keep an eye out for weapon upgrades that use ammo you've stockpiled.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2016, 04:59:12 pm »

Just tried this game, its fun but I HATE the ridiculously low amount of ammo.

Unless you are doing some gimmick build speccing full into more ammo mutations is just a no-brainer and even then its very possible to run out even when not spamming bullets.
What you want to do is combine a sustainable weapon with a burst weapon.  Crossbow is sustainable, it can oneshot enemies all the way till the last area; if you use nothing but the crossbow you'll never run out of ammo.  Unless you miss but even 50% hits should be fine as long as you get close enough to pick up ammo when you see it.  But when you spawn in front of 20 crows or snowbots a crossbow just isn't going to cut it, so you need to combine it with a weapon that lets you go all out and hold down RMB till everything is dead.

Examples of sustain weapons: Revolver/MG, crossbow, slugger, grenade launcher, lightning rifle, bazooka, any ordinary melee weapon.

Examples of burst weapons: Revolver/MG/AR, Pop gun/rifle, disc gun, laser pistol, auto shotgun/crossbow, minigun, anything with "cannon" or "super" in the name.

You'll notice all the the sustain weapons are pretty low level.  Some of the later ones work as sustain, but only with mutations.  Heavy bullet weapons work with recycle gland, gatling slugger/bazooka work with eagle eyes.

Another trick you can do is alternate between weapons often, the game is designed so you naturally lose ammo in weapons you have and gain it in weapons you don't have.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2016, 05:14:10 pm »

can't agree on anything working with Eagle Eyes. Gatling Slugger's accurate enough anyway, especially if you aren't dancing around max range, and Gatlingzooka's nearly a suicide weapon without boilies. What eagle eyes does is turn the wide area weapons which are great for crowd control in packed levels into pinpoint weapons that are ok for punching out single enemies. And then you don't have any crowd control weapons for when you get to a packed area.

And yeah. Switch between your weapons often, consider melee, and it's worthwhile taking Plutonium Hunger and Rabbit's paw. Don't bother with Open Mind, it's a pretty lacklustre mutation.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 06:19:18 pm »

I disagree on Eagle Eye, it's very useful for specific things.
  Auto Crossbow - removes the aim penalty, making it as useful as the normal crossbow but with the ability to fire insanely fast.
  SMG - Turns it from essentially a melee weapon into a nice burst fire weapon with good accuracy. Good for mowing down groups or plugging lots of shots into a big enemy. Stacks REALLY well with Recycling Gland. Bullet stream weapons are always good crowd control, and I find them more useful overall if they can also hit the one guy you need to die accurately.
    Same with the minigun and somewhat with the triple/quadruple machine guns
    Also holds true for the laser minigun.
  Shotgun - Depends on playstyle, but it tightens up the spread of a shotgun. I find it useful later on with the Autoshotgun since enemies have more health and the tighter spread helps me kill stuff better with it.

Open Mind, in my opinion, doesn't get enough credit. Maybe because my main character is Robot, but I find it to be quite useful. Extra weapons, ammo, and Rads every level is a pretty good perk.
Come play Mafia with us!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2016, 06:56:45 pm »

And in every case, you're turning crowd control weapons, which are invaluable post loop, into pinpoint damage weapons (which are still handy for when you need to kill a boss or a rad dog or similar, but not as necessary). Marrow's a much better choice for buffing the auto-crossbow, it'll also let you do the awesome zigzag penetration shots. The SMG needs a mutation that severely hurts you in later play in order to become worthwhile, along with recycle gland in order to make it efficient. Minigun/double mini's a pretty great loop desert clear with the big spread, turning into a stream rather than a spray means I'll be killing less chaff per second and that's annoying. Same for Triple/Quad MG. Laser Minigun with brain is honestly a joy to spray. Turning it from something that can clear a room full of snowbots in about a second of sustained fire into something that will evaporate a boss just isn't worthwhile unless you've already got a plasma cannon.

Open Mind becomes slightly better on Robot, but you're still probably better off aiming for Heavy Heart if you need weapons and ammo, and the amount of extra rads you get might just about be enough to give you ultra a level earlier. Still not impressive.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2016, 06:58:29 pm »

For loop runs, sure. But the guy just started playing, and looping is pretty far out from the stuff he should be worried about.
Come play Mafia with us!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »

Maybe. I'd still say it's better to make good habits early on.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6