Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Nuclear Throne - Fish Can Roll  (Read 15839 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nuclear Throne - Fish Can Roll
« on: January 02, 2015, 04:14:10 pm »

Nuclear Throne's a top-down shootermajig set in an irradiated future of mutants and futuristic weaponry. It's a bit similar to roguelikes in that you're progressing through steadily more difficult areas getting random weapons and upgrades, but with a combat system similar to that of something like Hotline Miami or a twin-stick shooter with bullet hell mechanics. It's got 12 playable characters as of this post, around 100 weapons, tons of secrets, and a good deal of enemy variety.

You basically run around as a mutant/robot shooting other mutants/robots/cops on your way to the throne.

It's by Vlambeer, who I think are best known for Luftrausers and Super Crate Box. It's in early access, but it's one of the few games where I actually felt compelled to buy into it, since it gets updates every week (remember old minecraft?) and is going through intense development right now.

Spoiler: screenies (click to show/hide)

I apparently also have an extra copy in my Steam inventory because Vlambeer are amazing, so if you're interested in giving it a whack, post a haiku with the word "thronebutt" in it, and I'll give it to a random.org'd person sometime on the 5th. Congrats to Xeron!

It's currently $12.99 on Steam, but keep in mind that I don't think they're planning on doing any sales while it's in early access. If you're waiting for a sale, you'll probably have to wait until after release.
Steam page

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:18:45 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Nuclear Throne - Fish Can Roll
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:19:50 pm »

Luftrausers feels really good to play, so pretty damn interested in this.

The screenshots give me a headache though. There's a certain point to which you can enlarge pixel art, and this is most definitely past that point.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »

This one looks pretty interesting, actually.

No one Thronebutt
Along this chaos but I,
This nuke majestic.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:41:44 pm »

The game is great. Incredibly addictive, in the "just one more try" kind of way.
Also hilarious. As one Steam reviewer put it:
Fish have more ammo, plant is faster, chicken can survive after losing its head - just like in real life!

I apparently also have an extra copy in my Steam inventory for some reason
They gave away free copies to some(all?) people who already own it. To spread the word and get some fresh feedback - according to the Steam news.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 06:45:02 pm »

Vlambeer knows how to do early access. This, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Gang Beasts have done their early access supporters right. If someone has a spare copy I wouldn't mind it. I might have something to trade/gift in return.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 07:11:49 pm »

This looks rad-tacular-astic.
I don't have any real idea what it would play like, but I'll definitely give it a try at some point.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:15:24 pm »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:28:26 pm »

Vlambeer and music had a baby and its name is *insert Vlambeer game here*.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 01:59:24 am »

I'll do you one higher and give you a tanka! And a plug for Slowbeef's video on Nuclear Throne.

Ashfall above green fields
where sad lone grasses grow
bitter weeds, thronebutts

Naught else flowers but the seat
The corpses are piling up
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 08:23:55 am »

Construct a Haiku
with Thronebutt? Fat Chance! Instead:
Refridgerator
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 02:29:17 am »

Oh man, just finished my first double loop. Died shortly after, but hey. It was kind of bizarre, because all throughout I was using a laser pistol and hyper rifle... never found anything better. I was playing horror, but I really haven't played any of the other characters much. Horror's kind of easy mode with the beam and better mutation selection.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 12:41:22 pm »

Fish can roll,

But Robot can eat anything.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 01:12:18 pm »

I fought my way here
To sit upon my thronebutt
Cold and so alone

I've had an eye on this for a while. I figured I'd pick it up at some point, Vlambeer is hard to turn down. The pixel art looks slightly off to me in motion sometimes, but not in a way I can put my finger on.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 04:05:49 pm »

C-c-cadaver slap,
where's the level boss at?

I've been loving this game ever since I stumbled into Slowbeef's stream of it. It's scratching that addiction I have for rogue-lites that I haven't been able to fill since the original Binding of Isaac.

I'm a couple hours into it (Steam says 11 but I left it idle for a bit so it's more like 6) and I've reached The Palace a couple of times, yet never managed to finish a loop (most ends die due to that arsehole Lil' Hunter).
It seems to be a strange yet addictive blend of Hotline: Miami and Spelunky. I would like to see more content, especially in more and varied bonus stages yet I guess it is in Early Access and can be excused for now.

There's a couple of problems I've found so far that I hope get fixed before released:

Weapon balance.
From my (limited experience) I don't see a reason not to stick with bolt weapons. Ammo is pretty plentiful when you're being careful, damage is high (thus sustaining ammo), a standard crossbow (which will carry you through all of the game if you pick up scary face) will almost always drop in the Wastelands, aim is great and finally the ability to penetrate (often when mixed with Strong Wrists) is just amazing. Throw in a golden melee weapon and you have all the tools needed to advance easily.

Mutations.
There are a couple of rather dubious mutations. The weapon specific mutations could warrant a minor passive bonus to other weapons (e.g. Bolt Marrow could give laser sights to most weapons), just so they don't fully encourage you to stick to a single weapon type.
Extra Feet and Plutonium Hunger both also don't see much light from me. Extra Feet because the extra terrain that it helps on barely appears (the speed bonus also doesn't seem that good) and Plutonium Hunger since Rads are pretty plentiful, easy to get and last for a while.

Level design:
Sometimes you just get spawned in a shitty spot and there's simply nothing you can do about it. This often happens in things like the 4-1 and 3-3. With no cover and often a boss to contend with you're often easy prey just after spawning even with the monster reaction delays.

Art Design
The pixel art comes across as rather boring. The level designs aren't really that creative or interesting at all. It's a bit of a petty complaint and the gameplay stills carries the rest of the game but I wish it was a little bit more stimulating, especially when you've played the same level 50,000 times.

Performance.
I get these strange "micro stutters" whenever I'm hit by melee enemies. It's especially annoying with assassins and can often spell doom for me if an enemy gets too close. I'm not sure what causing it as my computer should be able to run the game a million times over. I would like to see this fixed.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 04:34:02 pm »

Crossbows are good, but you'll need something better to beat the throne, and it's easy to get overwhelmed with a slow weapon like that. It's also a really bad "oh shit" weapon, since there's a delay after switching to it and you'll often need to use terrain as cover to survive in a ton of situations past scrapyards, and you won't always have that luxury.

I actually like plutonium hunger, though at first I thought it was useless. The value isn't in attracting plutonium so much as attracting health and ammo drops. It makes fighting the throne without an ideal setup much easier, at the very least, and means you don't have to risk as much to grab desperation pickups. Hell, it might even justify the crown that makes them fade faster, but I haven't played around with that yet. I've never taken bolt marrow though, it looks worthless. Maybe something funny with disc guns could be done with it... I think it's possible to get two bolt marrow mutations as horror with an ultra mutation, just imagine the homing discs.

The level generation is pretty hit or miss, yeah. Sometimes you'll get spawned in a room where surviving past 5 seconds is really difficult, but I've never found it to be impossible, unless you've got really bad weapons. The levels also don't look great, I think the enemy design is much better done, even if I don't like pixel art.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6