Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What savagery, drainage and other parameters in the embark screen really means  (Read 998 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all!

What savagery, evil and drainage parameters in the embark screen really means? Is there any wiki article about it?

Thanks in advance.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Here.

Evil makes more evil biomes, savagery makes more savage biomes and can make worlds totally inhospitable to civilisation, and drainage makes more lakes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Savagery, by the way, means you'll get giant versions of animals, furries humanoid versions, and a few very rare, savage-exclusive creatures.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any more detailed description of these parameters? Is terrifying worse than haunted, for example?

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think terrifying is a savage haunted biome, so probably.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It depends.  A Terrifying biome could just have elf blood that your dwarves think is icky, whereas a Haunted biome might have dust clouds that turn whatever they touch into nigh-unstoppable super-zombies. 

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Also, bitter mucus does more than raining blood. It causes burns, which means your dwarves will sit in the hospital for weeks to heal.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The description of the surroundings in any biome will be one of 9 possibilities. For good biomes, 'Serene' describes low savagery, 'Mirthful' describes normal savagery, and 'Joyous Wilds' describes high savagery. For neutral biomes, 'Calm' is low savagery, 'Wilderness' is normal, and 'Untamed Wilds' is high savagery. For evil biomes, 'Sinister' is low savagery, 'Haunted' is normal, and 'Terrifying' is high.

Biomes with high savagery add giant creatures and animal people, along with the possibility of a few dangerous savage-biome-only creatures. Biomes with low savagery make the more dangerous normal creatures rare or non-existent.

Good biomes are neutral biomes plus a few good-specific plants and creatures, most of which are pretty harmless (unicorns excepted).

Evil biomes are neutral biomes with a few evil-specific plants and creatures, and additional evil effects added in. Evil effects may include evil rain (rains which cause a syndrome or are made of blood/ichor/other unpleasant things), evil clouds of dust/fog which induce major syndromes or possibly convert creatures into powered-up undead, and spontaneous reanimation of dead creatures/body parts.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

drainage controls the presence of acuifers in the map i think.

savagery well, people already explained

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

Savage biomes aren't that threatening due to all the animal men prancing around.

Unless you embark on savage glaciers which are always fun.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think drainage influences lakes or aquifers. It influences biomes. Together, rain and drainage determine how wet the soil is; soil wetness, elevation, and temperature determine what grows there. See this wiki page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Biome#Generating_a_Biome