Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you make clothes?  (Read 2302 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
How do you make clothes?
« on: January 02, 2015, 03:31:42 am »

If you do not rely on imports, how do you make sure you have enough clothes of all types?

Well, I used to use 3 clothier's workshops to make 2 full sets, quite inefficient.

1)  "q" workshop A, then input:
a enter + a enter + a enter + ....
In this way I add a hood, a vest, a coat, a dress, a tunic, a robe, a cloak, a hood, and a trousers.

2) "q" workshop B, same as above

3) "q" workshop C, scroll down to glove then add 2 for each type: glove, mitten, sock and shoe.

Now I use the manager screen, type in each types and make 10 each periodically. Also, if a saw a dorf wears a worn trousers, I will order 10 trousers.
I do not worry about excess, because if they have enough, I won't see any worn clothes for a while, so I can slow down the process a bit.

However, this involves a lot of typing, which is not too convenient.

Thoughts?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make clothes?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:59:15 am »

Is it really necessary to make all types of clothing? My dwarves seem perfectly happy wearing nothing but shirts, trousers, and shoes (no new treasures for Urist McSockhoarder).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:17:48 am »

Dwarfs will claim all types of clothing that show up (goblinite is a treasured source of loincloths and socks) and if you don't make replacements, they'll wear them until they rot away and get unhappy about it. Additional clothing also offers a tiny bit of protection.

There are a total of ten equipment slots which you can make clothing for, so that fits exactly into one workshop's schedule. An example loadout would be robe(x), dress, cloak, trousers, cap, hood, gloves, mittens, socks, shoes. Put them all on the schedule, set them all to "r"epeat, let it run until the clothiers are out of cloth.

This can lead to extreme over-production if you have a sufficiently automated cloth-production chain and skilled clothiers.

(x) there's not much point to make robes and coats and vests at the same rate as cloaks - the former three all go in the same equipment slot and layer and a civilian will never wear more than one of them at the same time (i.e. they'll wear a robe _or_ a coat _or_ a vest; they can wear a tunic under and a cloak over it just fine, because those are different "layers").

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 04:51:19 am »

I make a lot of pairs of trousers, usually leather, as my armour is all metal. And then shirts or robes or vests, depending on what the civilisation thinks is normal (shirts are currently "exotic" in my fort), and shoes, all of cloth. Often hoods as well. I don't tend to bother with socks, but I'll make gloves/mittens. You never know...

Also, when the elves come around, I tend to buy all the clothing they have for sale. It's not like I haven't the trade goods for it, and, far more importantly, it is a truly hilarious thing to see the Baroness go past wearing a turban and sandals. I'm sorry if that's weird of me. I love the serious weirdness of some of the clothing. Being an Aussie, I had a lot of confusion over the "thong" for sale. Why is there only one? Dorfs have two feet! Took me a while to work out that it wasn't what WE call a thong at all at all....

I have assumed human clothing isn't wearable, because it's too big, but does anyone know for sure that they dorfs don't just try to wear it anyway?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:12 am »

Is it really necessary to make all types of clothing? My dwarves seem perfectly happy wearing nothing but shirts, trousers, and shoes (no new treasures for Urist McSockhoarder).
Well no, but they will wear those worn clothes and have bad thoguhts if they don't have replacements.
I can use dfhack to dump those worn out ones, but yeah, call it a quirk, just feel right to have a full set of everything. 8)

I have assumed human clothing isn't wearable, because it's too big, but does anyone know for sure that they dorfs don't just try to wear it anyway?
I can confirm they won't touch them at all, but leave them in the bins to rot.

It is just a game play thing. Dwarven children don't wear small clothes like kobolds. So why can't they wear larger clothes if they have nothing at all?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:15:07 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:43:51 am »

I buy yarn and silk on the cheap from caravans, and I've modded several animals to be shearable, so that plus fiber plants gives me plenty of raw mats.  Ranching is the core of almost all my forts' economies, so I have a lot of leather too.  I don't mass-produce, though.  I make one replacement garment for each worn-out object I find in the housing halls.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:05:32 pm »

Goblinite.

Once in a blue moon if I have a good clothier/leatherworker I buy cloth or leather from the caravan and make some stuff (mostly for my military). But mostly goblinite.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:10:41 pm by Naryar »

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 02:58:35 pm »

I use the workflow dfhack plugin, so I can set a repeating job to keep (say) 5-10 unused cloaks on hand; suspend when there's enough, start making more when it runs short. Similarly I keep a certain number of unused pieces of fabric on hand for making clothes, and a certain number of unused fibers on hand. I supply the whole thing with pig tails, or if I've built an enclosed greenhouse one of the above-ground fiber crops.

It is a little annoying when I get supplies of silk and yarn, because I need to have a whole different string of jobs to make silk and yarn versions of all the clothes. I haven't figured out how to make shearing and milking happen without me manually commanding it, so I don't usually bother with either. I still dream of a giant cave spider silk farm but I haven't ever managed to capture one (my caverns are depressingly peaceful).

I also use the autobutcher plugin to have a no-maintenance supply of meat, bones, and skins, so I make some items out of leather (shoes and coats, for style reasons).

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 05:14:38 pm »

My fort is glutted with fashionistas and dandies. Clothing is one of my primary industries. Each piece of clothing is normally more than 700 dorf bucks. I only make shirts, shoes, trousers and cloaks because I use the accelerated mod.

Dimple cups are planted just as early as plump helmets. I always trade for dyes and gems, embark with alpacas and have a segment of workers I've dubbed "textile workers" (they all share the profession name for easy navigation of DT). I autolabor as much of it as possible. Can't automate shearing, spinning or dying and milling is kind of screwy in autolabor (gypsum powder also falls under "powder" so I just try to overcompensate as much as possible). I like decorating most of my stuff too. Clothing gets decorated with gems. I know, I know, clothing rots and I have to throw the gems away with them. Fashion dorfs don't care, total divas.

Typical piece of clothing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:18:11 pm by Ysyua »
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 06:04:53 pm »

I tend to overproduce clothing, just to be sure. As soon as I get textile industry running I order massive production runs of every kind of clothing, especially cloaks, hoods and mittens. After that I occasionally check on few dwarves: if they are wearing a worn out item I put out an order for a batch of that particular item. After a decade or so the fort's main export tends to be old clothes.

I also order loads of hides from the caravan every year. I can usually get enough fabric from various sources but leather is hard to produce in quantities I need.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 10:44:35 pm »

Mt current fott I'm trying to get 1000 dwarfs.

Ibe found keep farmers workshops to 1 job.
1 shears, 2 spin thread.
1milks ,1 makes cheese.
They still suspend/stick/...but not vety often

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 10:59:56 pm »

I take pig tails and dye, but dont prioritize them.  Eventually in my mature forts, if the goblins and low-grade caravans can pump out enough cloth for me I make some pig-tails stuff.  Or leather.  One can only make so many cloaks, backpacks, quivers, hoods, and gloves before leather is a surplus material.

Dwarves are lucky I even bother putting pants on their hairy bottoms, frankly; when I started playing you could let the clothing decay off them and after an initial bout of 'the feels' they'd get over it and live as nudists.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 03:24:43 pm »

Turkey hens produce a ton of poults if you don't touch their eggs, and those poults can grow to maturity in a cage (to reduce the affect of 100+ creatures on pathfinding and FPS). That's a ton of leather after one year (two years if you care about meat and bones). That's more than enough leather if you consider the fact that both dresses and robes cover the entire torso and legs. You just need to add shoes and hoods for full protection across the entire body. With just three clothing items per dwarf, your leatherworker doesn't even have to be dedicated to his work. Of course you could still utilize several layers with a leather hood, cap, cloak, robe, dress and shoes; and adding cloth socks. I think you can also wear trousers, but I've never bothered.

Why leather instead of cloth?
  • Leather is lighter than plant fiber.
  • Leather offers greater protection than cloth.
  • You can't expand into cloth armor. (candy armor is a late game exception)
It's not as expensive as dyed cloth, but it's very survivable.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 03:37:27 pm »

Just do this:
1: order every type of leather from the dwarves.
2: set up my leather worker to make shoes, shirts, robes, trousers, gloves mittens, hoods, and cloaks.
3: Set up around a third of my dwarves into lightly armoured squads of leather and bone, with wooden shields and bronze weapons.
4: set up important dwarves, like weapon and armour smiths, in full metal armour suits with leather layers and two shields.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 04:23:07 pm »

One of the most disturbing thing about DF so far is my dwarve's relish for second-hand troll fur loincloth taken from dead goblins.  That is just nasty...

These days it seems that all that I sell the caravans are old clothes and totems...
hamster cheese supplies are low
Pages: [1] 2