Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with Minecarts  (Read 407 times)

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun with Minecarts
« on: January 02, 2015, 03:30:52 am »

I am playing around with getting mine carts to use an inaccessible track.  This is partly because my cats and partly because children love playing on them for some reason.  Unfortunately my dwarfs do not desire to heed my demands and are refusing to push the cart off in the direction desired.
The concept (shown below) is quite simple.  A cart is pushed from the stop on the left to the second stop which actually has friction set to 0 so the cart ends up passing it and falling to the next stop a floor below where it is unloaded, then pushed off to follow some ramps upwards and finally drop back onto the stop on the left to be reloaded.  Anyone else have a solution or an interesting mine cart idea?
#######
#S===S.#
#######

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Minecarts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:02:09 am »

I had a simple system for my automated minecart magma lifter:

Code: [Select]
+++ooooo
S=PD==.o
+++ooooo

This is highly simplified, in reality the track wrapped around a pillar and stuff but anyway, P is a pressure plate set for minecarts of any weight ONLY (no civilians or animals), D is a door linked to said pressure plate. S pushes east, the cart goes over the pp, the door instantly opens, and the cart continues down the hole. Although, in this system I would forbid the cart immediately after pushing it, so I'm not sure how useful it is to you... but AFAIK a cart will not get picked up if it is at its correct stop, so as long as you have a reverse of the setup above at the end of the track, you should be good.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game