Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are pumps abstract friendly?  (Read 1268 times)

rokoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are pumps abstract friendly?
« on: January 01, 2015, 08:49:55 pm »

I need to know, for various reasons, if a pump set up with a reliable power source will continue to pump when I'm not actively playing as the fort and if it will be able to pump to areas outside of the fort's playable area.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are pumps abstract friendly?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:01:21 pm »

As far as I understand it, I don't think tiles outside the map edge technically exist.  They don't until you embark and the tiles are generated.  Fluids that flow off the edge cease to exist as well... add the two together and I think nothing actually does exist outside.  Scripts run that generate events (wars, snatching, megabeast attacks), but these run off a script and don't actually require the sites to be generated and working.  When a siege happens the defenses of a site aren't checked. 

If anything, the tiles should remain the same/static.  However... I seriously doubt that liquids will flow off the map edge and into yours.  Even if you build a magma pump on the map edge and are watching magma flow off as you retire the old fort and then embark directly adjacent to that.

rokoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:47:40 pm »

Damn, there goes Operation: Boil the Sea

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:05:14 pm »

I think you might be able to have
Operation: Encase visiting adventurers in lava
as a consolation prize.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 05:13:42 pm »

Well, to answer your first question: yes, pumps will continue to pump if they are given continuous power, so if you connect a windmill to a pump positioned over your fortress you could very well flood your fortress without requiring a dwarf pump operator...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:34:07 am »

Well, to answer your first question: yes, pumps will continue to pump if they are given continuous power, so if you connect a windmill to a pump positioned over your fortress you could very well flood your fortress without requiring a dwarf pump operator...

You misunderstood his question: he was asking about abandoning / retiring a fortress and still having the pumps operate. Which they won't.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 05:45:19 am »

I don't think so.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:43:54 am »

If you bring in an Adventurer, the pumps will run as long as you're close enough to the fortress - once you move far enough away, the site gets offloaded (and the pumps stop).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 12:25:13 pm »

If you bring in an Adventurer, the pumps will run as long as you're close enough to the fortress - once you move far enough away, the site gets offloaded (and the pumps stop).

So he could start the lava pumps as a fort, then return as an adventurer to "lead" the lava off site?

Wouldn't an easier solution be to find an island/coastal volcano and mold the embark site into something like 2x8? FPS shouldn't be any more intense (its still 16 tiles), and you wouldn't even need pumps.  You could dig some channels to the coast and let the lava flow on its own after knocking a hole in its side.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:16:19 pm »

Mega scale landscaping ought to be possible by making several embarks that partially overlap each other, such that (parts of) the results of the previous embark are included in the next one (e.g. have one pump stack in in the "reused" tiles). I've never done any reembark, however.
Sounds like serious amounts of work, though.

mardouille

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 09:25:41 am »

Sounds like a good way to build bridges to island. I'm going to try with the next release with 1x1 forts.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 06:43:57 pm »

You could instead do operation: drain the sea (scroll down to "harvesting the ocean's bounty")
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.