• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 Fifty-Two Books Challenge: 2015 Edition
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 10:16:00 am »

Spoiler: 1/52 (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 12:45:22 pm »

Spoiler: 3/52 (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 01:25:29 pm »

Spoiler: 2/52 (click to show/hide)

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:47:51 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 10:10:07 am »

"Why Smart People Hurt" is a challenge because normally, I wouldn't be caught dead reading self-help books, and almost stopped in the intro because I felt talked down to. This one kind of sorted some things out for me, though. Now I'm reading a book on product design.
What was the main gist of the book? What is it about smartness that causes pain?

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 01:10:05 pm »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 04:49:15 pm »

Huh. I should probably do this, given the sheer amount of books I won that I haven't even touched.
Spoiler: 0/52 (click to show/hide)
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 05:14:25 pm »

Should probably chip in here myself, see if I can beat the pathetic amount from last year:

My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 05:19:50 pm »

How's Clariel compare to the original trilogy?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 05:23:09 pm »

I would say not quite as good, but still an enjoyable read.

Then again, I haven't read the originals for a long long time, so my memory isn't exactly clear - and certain parts did seem like they would be more enjoyable if I clearly remembered the others.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 11:41:27 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:47:32 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 08:40:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm... Does the book give an explicit definition of "smartness?" -- i mean, metaphorically speaking, are we talking about the real-life equivalent of INT, or WIS, or perhaps a balanced combination of both? In my opinion, "intelligence" is hardly coextensive with the ability to "see through the BS," and "wisdom," on the other hand, implies precisely that kind of self-knowledge which the book assumes to be lacking in smart people (and conversely not-lacking in non-smart people?). I'm not trying to argue for any particular interpretation of the term, but simply wondering how the "smartness" discussed above applies to people like myself, the ones with slightly-above-average INT and abysmally low WIS. 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 09:45:45 am »

Spoiler: 4/52 (click to show/hide)

I'd love to be pushing myself on reading, but I think I'm going to have to just kick back in a literary environment this year. I have plenty of scholarly reading to be doing to push myself.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 10:26:27 am »

Basically that we're smart enough to see through a lot of the world's bullshit and ask a lot of reasonable questions, but not smart enough to recognize our own limitations and react in a reasonable way--in particular, we're not good at pruning down our questioning for our own well-being (for example, asking repeated questions about the shopping mart's pastrami in infinitesimal detail when there's some other project we'd rather be using our attention on). It also talked about avoiding mania, insomnia, and racing-brain issues, which is a serious long-term problem for me and which I very much appreciated.
As far as I can tell, self-help books have two functions: to impart core insights and to share ways of coping or overcoming issues. The core-insight stuff might be completely common-sense or wholly foreign to a person's way of thinking (stuff like: there's no use dwelling on the things you can't change, happiness starts from within, it's best to own up to your own behaviour etc.); ways of coping may or may not be useful depending somewhat on the reader's dispositions. I'm glad you got something out of it.

Divergent - Veronica Roth (Not the best book I've ever read, and definitely a YA novel, but good concept and writing.)
As a writing experiment last year, I broke down the first few chapters of Divergent to see how she builds up the scenes and introduces the characters. It's cleverly done, seeding enough setting information while keeping the plot trundling on at a brisk pace. You learn about the eventual factional conflict in the book in a very early scene that served the primary purpose of introducing the family members/dynamic. So, at the same time as learning the core differences that will drive the factions apart, you also see why it's such a betrayal for the two Abnegation kids to pick a different faction from their parents. The core YA dodgy-sc-fi/love-triangle stuff I could have done without, but it was otherwise well constructed. I didn't feel any need to read the next two books.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 10:30:01 am »

It wrapped up well enough for me. I'll look at the sequels if I'm short on things to read (which I won't be).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11