Re: The Official Bay12 Fifty-Two Books Challenge: 2015 Edition
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2015, 12:55:04 pm »

21/52
4th and 5th GoT books. G.R.R. Martin
War Poetry (Can't remember author)
The Painted Man (Can't remember author)
Wise Man's Fear. Patrick Rothfuss.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2015, 09:18:56 am »

Spoiler: 35/52 (click to show/hide)

Calling Pact six books.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2015, 10:49:28 am »

Sure, I'm in.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2015, 04:01:55 pm »

Urg. I have read quite a few, but can't remember...well, here's what I recall.
Ember. Can't remember author. Some sentimental girly thing about dragon romance.
Book six of GoT. Martin.
The Picture of Dorian Gray. Wilde.
Collected Poetry of Oscar Wilde. Wilde. (Ballad of Reading Gaol is a master work)
Sigurd and Gudrun. Tolkien.
The Iliad. Homer.
Poems to Learn by Heart. Can't recall author.
I wandered lonely as a cloud. Another anthology. Can't recall author.
Desert Spear. Brett.
So, eh... 29, though there are more I can't recall, but meh.

Also, Arx, I quite enjoyed Nation. The ending was good.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2015, 04:33:47 pm »

Book six of GoT. Martin.

It's out? O_O

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2015, 04:46:03 pm »

Wait, is A Dance With Dragons not book six? So many of the ones I have are one book split into two, I may have miscounted.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2015, 04:48:46 pm »

I have A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons.

So five.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2015, 04:50:27 pm »

Okay. I have part ones and part twos all over the show :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2015, 04:53:47 pm »

Spoiler: Books: 48 (Comics: 22) (click to show/hide)

Some of Sontag honestly remains as relevant today as she was back in the 1960s. I especially enjoyed her essays "Against Interpretation," "The Imagination of Disaster" (which is about science fiction), "Happenings: an art of radical juxtaposition," and "Notes on 'Camp'." Sadly, I found the other works rather less relevant, since she's writing on theorists, critics, and authors who have almost entirely left the modern imagination. I felt that I learned something, but that most of the interest was in gaining access to examples of Sontag's beautifully clear style and of further historical notes. It is peculiar to discover how much of her intellectual climate has really disappeared.

Supercommunicator is a very readable book on, well, communicating. I feel its chief contribution is the meeting of what it's saying and how it says it, since I've seen every concept in the book many times elsewhere, without accessible examples provided. It's almost like a living example (or, for those who are familiar with this terminology: it is performative/self-demonstrating).

Next, I'm going to keep finishing the half-read books sitting by me on the floor. I'm in the middle of Life and Death are Wearing me Out (Mo Yan), which I dig but isn't half as good as Dream of Ding Village was, barring a few truly splendid scenes. Sadly, I barely remember reading most of these books on the list up there. I still remember the really great ones, but the ones that were just okay don't stick in my memory at all :/ I should probably worry even more about quality over volume.

On the other hand, I'd like to attest again to the power of that book by Marie Kondo on tidying. Ever since I read it, it's like my room has magically kept itself organized and looking good. I clean up now without even thinking about it, and keep seeing little things where I go: "Oh, I should really get a box to keep those things all tidied up!" Even my bookmarks are tidier

You know, I would really like a series of gritty fantasy novels that don't make everything about sex and rape. That only briefly mention sex and don't have any rape, even.

Honestly, this is why I stopped reading SF/fantasy. I just got sick of that and the lackluster characterization. I get that the setting is supposed to be the main character, but I always felt like most of the big plotlines would have been better as hooks for a computer game or tabletop session...

I'll let you know if I see anything. I think that most likely you'll find what you're looking for in a series of books that doesn't "feel" like sword and sorcery fantasy, because there the sex and rape are as much a staple of the genre as Tolkien Races.

The Secrets of Pistoulet is the worst thing I have read this year. It is trashy fiction of the "Magical French Kitchen for Unhappy Upper-Middle-Class American Housewives" genre, frequently racist, and the plot is practically bifurcated by two unrelated segments that are connected only by their unsurpassed triteness and puerile relation of an Orientalizing fantasia. It is the epitome of the Shitty Coffee Table Book genre.

I will be genuinely shocked if I find anything surpassing it.

Usually I do not comment on this thread, but I do have to give props to reading "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman.  Excellent book describing cultural differences.  I read that in 8th grade, and to be honest, it was out of my league.  No wonder my teacher wanted to read it herself when I was done.

Also, yes, Dance of Dragons is book five, not six.  Six will be Winds of Winter.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2015, 01:53:07 am »

Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? recently.

...I think it was overrated. Probably good for its time, though. Just boring characters and plot with some mildly interesting ideas. I liked 'kipple', though.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2015, 09:59:41 am »

Spoiler: 36/52 (click to show/hide)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2015, 11:10:00 am »

Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? recently.

...I think it was overrated. Probably good for its time, though. Just boring characters and plot with some mildly interesting ideas. I liked 'kipple', though.
So very overrated, IMHO.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »

I think I got more out of Philip K. Dick's Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. It's a similar cerebral future-shock but it goes in a more surprising direction.  If you're into classic high-concept sci-fi then you should probably check out Ursula K. Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven (reality-warping, dreams); or Frank Herbert's The Santaroga Barrier (twilight-zone-esque small town metaphysical thriller).

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2015, 01:46:31 am »

While we have LeGuin on the mind, I just realized that her short story, "The Ones who Walk from Omelas," is more or less retold in the modern Dr. Who episode with the spaceship Brittania, the one with the space whale thing. I can't recall the episode name or number.

The above is worth a read, too- it's quite short, but worth chewing on as idealistic or utilitarian brain cud.

Episode 2 of the 5th Series of new Doctor Who. The ship was Starship UK, though.
And no, it is different, as the Whale was indeed "tortured" but she chose to help Earth, and at the end of the episode the whale's fate looked less horrible than before.
In Omelas the scapegoat wasn't a volunteer.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2015, 11:51:42 am »

The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Patrick Rothfuss. It was soft and nice and made me sad and happy at the same time. It had a girl bending the laws of nature to make a candle for her best friend, and I absolutely adored both the book and her.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11