Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bullshit Trees  (Read 803 times)

Meatshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bullshit Trees
« on: January 01, 2015, 04:33:35 pm »

So early in the 0.40 update the trees were COMPLETELY changed to be larger and realistic, which is great because you can get more wood from them. However in my Fortress (Sportball) a dragon came and set fire to the forests and because of the tall branches that are being burned down, I keep getting messages that say "Something has collapsed on the surface!" that basically make the game unplayable without pressing 'Resume' every 3 seconds.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or did you find a way around it? I really like this fort and I don't want to just ditch it. What do?
Jarloth Steellungs is my current dwarf wrestler, who enjoys breaking everyone's knees and elbows and then working his way down from fingers to toes to ankles to wrists to arms to legs to gouging the eyes. And if he has a knife (though he prefers sharp rocks) he'll remove their ears, nose and tongue but only after kicking their teeth out.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Bullshit Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »

If all else fails, go into the init\announcements.txt and find the entry for cave-ins, and set them to neither pause nor zoom.

There have been a lot of bugs regarding collapsing trees, and it seems like fire hasn't yet been addressed.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 04:58:45 pm »

Don't forget to submit a bug report if you have the time:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php

And upload a save to make it easier to find:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php

Meatshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 05:02:27 pm »

I'm a DF player, do I look like I have the time for bug reports??

Jarloth Steellungs is my current dwarf wrestler, who enjoys breaking everyone's knees and elbows and then working his way down from fingers to toes to ankles to wrists to arms to legs to gouging the eyes. And if he has a knife (though he prefers sharp rocks) he'll remove their ears, nose and tongue but only after kicking their teeth out.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 05:02:38 pm »

Plenty of people have reported this happening to them when a bushfire or a firestorm occurs, as with you. I think it happens a lot if you manage to get lava to surface levels.

Spoiler: irrelevant (click to show/hide)

The quickfix that everyone recommends is to turn off the cave in pause and zoom functions until the fire dies back, as laularukyrumo recommended. Some people just turn off all the pause and zoom spam, but that can be a problem if you have something else critical going on (for example, lava pumping, or even the unexpected, like Mooding).

There is another prevention method: make sure that there isn't a great deal of tree cover for the dragons to burn up in future: Total clearfelling. It will not make you amazingly popular with the elves, but if you've not got easy access to lava, it might do wonderful things for your glass/pottery/metal industries.
Interestingly, underground fires don't seem to do this. I've had a few fiery forgotten beasts (are they becoming more common?) down there in the Deeps, and they have set fire to the underground mushroom trees, and everything else on the level, and the water the trees were burning over turned to steam, the beasts the trees were burning over burst into flames themselves, but there was no constant "something has collapsed!" spam. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I on my own?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 04:57:00 am »

been distracted from playing DF for a while, but I had this when I had caverned out the layer directly beneath the surface and chopped down a tree above the hollowed out area below. Some wood fell down and impacted the surface, and punched through--this is where I got the "cavern collapsed" or something similar. This or something like it is probably what you're seeing.

So if you don't want to deal with this--leave a layer between the surface and whereever you build. Falling logs shouldn't smash through, and shouldn't cause the pause/zoom thing.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!