Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Civlization Building Games  (Read 6274 times)

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civlization Building Games
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 10:33:56 am »

Like city-building games but haven't played the Impressions games?  There's your problem!  Caesar 3, Pharoah, and Zeus are all great ancient city-builders, and are on GOG for a few dollars each.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 10:36:52 am »

Also, Gratuitous Space Battles has a campaign mode which has empire building elements, though as the name suggests it's mostly focussed on designing fleets and fighting battles.
Is it DLC or unlocked after finishing something? I have that game and all I have are individual battle scenarios. Would love more empire building elements in it.

It's DLC. Link here. I've not played it myself as my antique laptop can barely run the game.
Eh, noticed they never ported it(or anything but the base game, it seems) to Linux. Thanks anyway.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 10:42:26 am »

Civ 4 with the Fall From Heaven 2 Mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=171398
It's a very different playing as not only there are good/neutral/evil races and magic...but there are VERY different races with very different playstyles AND a global apocalyptical event that goes on and on. Don't read to much about it if you want some nice "fun" suprises while playing ;)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 10:43:56 am »

"Civilization: Call to Power" and "Call to Power 2" as they were pretty much civ games. ...

It was an odd chapter in Civ's history.  After some acquisitions and lawyer shenanigans, Activision briefly licensed rights to use "Civilization" then had to fall back on the subtitle for the second iteration.

Like city-building games but haven't played the Impressions games?  There's your problem!  Caesar 3, Pharoah, and Zeus are all great ancient city-builders, and are on GOG for a few dollars each.

Pharoah and Zeus are on his list.  >_>

-------

As bookends to a line on the OP list, there is Caesar 3, and Children of the Nile.  Caesar3 is the game preceding Pharoah+Cleopatra / Zeus+Poseidon; it's probably worth playing for historical completeness, even if the lack of newer amenities makes the experience less awesome.  Children of the Nile is a game in the same vein, made by alumnis of the devhouse that did Caesar 3 and titles, released in 2008.

Also, freeciv.  It's a FOSS recreation of the best of Civ1/Civ2 DNA, and has been at it a while, so the game should be stable and robust.

Finally, Grand Ages: Rome.  It's a Roman historical city builder from the folks that did Tropico.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 12:46:36 pm »

Which ones are free? I know FreeOrion & FreeCiv...

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 03:49:55 pm »

Pharoah and Zeus are on his list.  >_>
Oh... had missed that somehow.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 04:27:24 pm »

To me Zeus was meh. Pharaoh was vastly superior and I liked Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom better than zeus.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 03:13:16 am »

As bookends to a line on the OP list, there is Caesar 3, and Children of the Nile

Also, freeciv.  It's a FOSS recreation of the best of Civ1/Civ2 DNA, and has been at it a while, so the game should be stable and robust.

Finally, Grand Ages: Rome.  It's a Roman historical city builder from the folks that did Tropico.

Caesar 3 I could never get into; I started playing with Pharoah and it felt like a huge step back, missing a bunch of the goodies that made it decent. All of those city builder games minus Rise of the Middle Kingdom came in a multipack that I had gotten ages ago. Zeus/Poseidon and RotMK end up being the most playable for me these days, while Pharoah/Cleopatra are a labor of love, in that I absolutely adore the setting, it's like Caesar to Pharoah, and is missing a bit that the later games made less frustrating.

FreeCiv is somewhat difficult to go back to after playing the later versions of Civ3+, but it does have an Android version, so that's a plus.

The Fall From Heaven 2 mod for Civ 4 was great, and the different factions had a good bit of flavor to them.

FreeOrion I had not heard about yet, but it has been downloaded.

Gratuitous Space Battles having a campaign mode would make the game a bit more interesting; as it was, just doing one shot skirmishes with various combinations of tech got fairly old quickly.

Updated the main post with those games I had forgotten I played (Crusader Kings 2, Call to Power 1/2, SimEarth, Master of Magic, Civ4 FFH2, MOO2)

Also updated the post with games I haven't heard of/tried before (Grand Ages: Rome, Cultures 1/2, Victoria 2, Enemy Nations, Pandora: First Contact)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 04:14:18 am »

My first suggestion would be Distant Worlds series, but I see you are already familiar with it... so I guess I'll just PTW for now.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 04:16:34 am »

Space Empires 4 is still good in spite of its age. Not sure about Space Empires 5, though, it doesn't work very well on modern pcs anyways unlike SE4.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 09:02:47 am »

To me Zeus was meh. Pharaoh was vastly superior and I liked Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom better than zeus.

But at least Zeus has scenario makers aplenty :P

(I'm one!)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 09:21:26 am »

Yo dawgs, did I hear Grand Ages: Rome up in here? Well i'm here to put any hopes of that game being good to bed.

... it's pretty uninspired and boring.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 10:17:13 am »

I do have a preference for space-based strategy games, but it's only a preference. I also prefer more in depth games rather than one shot skirmishes, as I find it more fun to watch my fledgling empire grow from a single sparsely populated city, country or world to expand well beyond its roots, usually through the crushing power of an overwhelming economy and sheer numbers.

maybe "the last federation"? http://store.steampowered.com/app/273070/

well it isnt really on topic, as instead of making your own civ you influence civs. i.e. protecting the weakest faction and overthrowing the strongest or so...
no idea how good it actually is, i havent played it, but i think it is not that bad overall.

edit:
while i am suggesting not totally fitting titles... maybe AI:WAR ? http://store.steampowered.com/app/40400/ (think it also has a demo)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:28:29 am by Nelia Hawk »

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 11:27:19 am »

I didn't see Immortal Cities: Children Of The Nile in the above list - you might enjoy that, especially if you enjoy things like Pharoah and Banished.  :)  It goes relatively cheap over at GoG, from what I recall.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 02:18:05 pm »

civ 5 mods count? I've been playing the community balance patch lately, jsut as an improvment to base civ 5.
loving endless legend, not sure if mentioned in this thread yet too
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4