Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interesting fantasy races  (Read 4689 times)

Godsnose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting fantasy races
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »

If anyones ever heard of dominions 4, there is an immense amount of races in it. http://dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Nations_Overview for a list
I was thinking of creating a race of beastfolk, with castes such as satyr, minotaur, harpies and centaurs.
Only problem is i don't know how interbreeding works, and i think harpies laying eggs might hatch into minotaurs or something strange

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 12:36:31 pm »

How about a part-plant, part-animal race that basically 'grows' its own plant-part?

Their 'basic' caste (which would have a much higher POP_RATIO than the mature caste, so only the basic caste would be born naturally) would be simple animals, either male or female, very weak and with poor learning rates (but able to breed, so they don't die out in worldgen).  They produce seeds, either through LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS or through reactions, and then plant those seeds.  Eating the plants that grow from these seeds triggers their transformation into the adult caste.

To make things more interesting, they could have reactions that let them produce different kinds of transformation seeds, each which turns into a different kind of plant that allows them to gain different abilities when maturing.  Some plants might be limited to growing in a particular biome, so the environment you embark in could influence the transformations available to you.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 07:24:13 am »

A Crystalline, immobile people: They are these massive glowing stalagmites that just so happen to be composed of various castes of gemstone and have the ability to speak.  A cavern race, they defend themselves using "dust" attacks to push would-be predators away.  They'd be immortal like elves, but only reproduce very slowly, so that an entire cavern isn't completely taken over by them.  Call them "Lore-stones" - They'd be the "people" that could be consulted by adventurers to find out what the history of that site was and would also remember every bit of gossip any previous adventurer told them about other areas of the world.  Finding and cultivating a truly ancient grove of Lore-stones might be a point of prestige for a clan of dwarves.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 12:46:16 pm »

That sounds like an amazing idea for a subterranean race.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 12:56:49 pm »

A Crystalline, immobile people: They are these massive glowing stalagmites that just so happen to be composed of various castes of gemstone and have the ability to speak.  A cavern race, they defend themselves using "dust" attacks to push would-be predators away.  They'd be immortal like elves, but only reproduce very slowly, so that an entire cavern isn't completely taken over by them.  Call them "Lore-stones" - They'd be the "people" that could be consulted by adventurers to find out what the history of that site was and would also remember every bit of gossip any previous adventurer told them about other areas of the world.  Finding and cultivating a truly ancient grove of Lore-stones might be a point of prestige for a clan of dwarves.

This is an amazing idea and should be posted as a suggestion, if a similar one doesn't already exist.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »

This is an amazing idea and should be posted as a suggestion, if a similar one doesn't already exist.

This must be done.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:16 pm »

This must be done.
"Forget those guys, all they ever say is 'Get off my cave moss!'"

Very cool idea, though it'd have to re-introduce spore reproduction as an option in the raws.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 06:38:23 pm »

I did some work on a lorestone creature yesterday and am nearly done with the creature. I think I just need the dust attack, maybe some better terms for the different gaits, and one more good crystal type(to make it simpler I just assigned genders one to each crystal type after I had added them in and ended up one short of even amounts of each gender). Then the civ which should be simple.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 01:47:20 am »

The only question is, will they actually know stuff?

There are rules for the spread of information during worldgen and I'm not sure if subterranean creatures have a part in that spread.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 03:43:13 am »

Go ask a gorlak.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 04:41:09 am »

Very cool idea, though it'd have to re-introduce spore reproduction as an option in the raws.

Spore reproduction never worked with IMMOBILE creatures, since it required the creatures to be able to path to each other and IMMOBILE creatures never pathed anywhere.

But now that creatures mate through physical contact, does that mean we can breed IMMOBILE creatures by placing them on the same tile?  Or have a species where either the male or the female is IMMOBILE?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 05:27:38 pm »

Immobile male with mobile female works. Both immobile, or female immobile doesnt work. Both on one tile doesnt work, if both are immobile. All tests done with 34.11 though.

I dont see how people could play a race of immobile creatures ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 05:37:20 pm »

And if the males aren't in shouting range of each other the females can spread word....

Now there is another matter. Is there a delay between conception and birth? If not we will have issues with the stones being born on top of eachother. So males get stacked on the same tile.....if there is a delay the female can move a bit....

Also should they be a full fledged underground civ? By that I meen will females have armor and weapons? Will thay take up cave sites? Will thay live in a cave and then spread from there to the surface? Will females join other races city's? Ect.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 05:39:25 pm »

Yes, there is a delay between conception and birth.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 06:37:53 pm »

The way I did it was give them a speed of 5,000 for all the standard humanoid gaits. I figured the very slow stroll is at 2,900, if you make them way slower than that it's basically not moving. I also thought it might be better to just let them levitate around slowly. I'll probably insert custom gaits later, but they seem difficult so I decided to go with that for now.

EDIT: I have finished a basic version of the lore-stones. I would like feedback from anybody, though mostly Timeless Bob. Though if he didn't make them himself maybe he doesn't know how to mod so the files wouldn't really help. Things still left to add are ethics, values, and a description that isn't just a copy past of Timeless Bob's post. I should probably also make a copy of each caste so the genders aren't tied to crystal type, and do a bit more work on the gaits. Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjgpnk62cycyzpy/lore-stones.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:04:10 pm by vjmdhzgr »
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
Pages: 1 [2] 3