Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interesting fantasy races  (Read 4690 times)

Godsnose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting fantasy races
« on: January 01, 2015, 04:42:17 am »

Leprechaun
Draconian
Kobold/skaven
Monkeys
Giants
Fomorians

Each of them would have different castes available to then. the giant for example could be an ettin or a"hundred handed one" (Hekatonkheires)

Right now i'm just brainstorming ideas for a mod, so any help would be appreciated.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting fantasy races
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 02:47:04 pm »

I'd suggest wolf-folk (not necessarily furries!) but I'm biased.  I always thought the Draenei from WoW were super neat, as well as the Homestuck trolls.

For you, I'd suggest looking into a certain kind of animal and basing a race off that, however loosely.  Don't limit yourself to just "common" fantasy species like lizard men and sahuagin.  What might, for example, a race with sea lion or iguana traits look, act, and live?  I'm not talking about the already-present animal people; think satyr more than Sonic the Hedgehog.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 04:40:23 pm »

8) YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

I have a Draconian race already made. It includes: a trio of male castes and two female castes. The main caste is a basic scaled humanoid with a tail, bigger than a human by a bit. Nothing special. The next two castes are the warrior draconians, larger and horned draconians who are better for fighting, males too, and then the aerial draconian, who is good at dodging and can fly. Also lays eggs and breeds. This means no children outside of immigrants if you don't set up nest boxes. Then there's the two rare castes, the burning and rogue draconians. The burning draconian is the same as the warrior draconian, male, horns and larger, except he's completely immune to even dragon fire, can throw fire balls, and breathe fire. Also feels no pain. The rogue draconian has a stinging tail instead of a normal tail, and has a dangerous venom that causes pain, dizziness, swelling, and bleeding. They're also female and egg laying. The entire race is immune to normal fire, so you could have a forest fire that wont hurt anyone but your animals and trees. Instead of the same weapons as the dwarves, they have morningstars, picks, flails, halberds, great axes, two-hand and long swords, maces, mauls, whips, spears, large daggers, bows, and crossbows. No short swords, hammers, or battle axes. They also rely on above ground plants instead of cave ones. Hope this fits what you wanted. They have access to steel.

The draconians:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Their entity: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:44:40 pm »

Some kind of multi-headed humanoid. You can never have too many heads in DF.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »

The  leprechauns could be legendary dodgers, smaller than a dwarf, and have a pair of rare castes: one that can fly, and one that can release a gas that puts things to sleep.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:49:04 pm »

I've always liked the idea of plant-based races, like Ents or Sylvari.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 05:35:01 pm »

In my own stories, I've always had the idea of a race of Shades. They're made entirely out of shadow, and loose body parts if they come in contact with light. They blend in with the darkness and can't be brought into the light, so for all intents and purposes they're completely invisible. But they can still enter the light if they completely cover themselves in clothes like The Invisible Man.

Gameplay-wise, they would be underground creatures like dwarves, but would spend even more time underground. Diplomacy is difficult for them, because forgetting to wear even a single garment of clothing will arise the suspicions of other races. On the other hand, they're organless so they can only be damaged by light exposure after their clothes are destroyed. They have an obsession with collecting and layering ridiculous amounts of hats.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 09:41:13 pm »

A race of creatures, bigger then men, but not to big, who live in cold areas, are viking like, and use incredibly heavy armor.
maybe they raid around in large ships and pillage other civs.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:50:34 pm »

So a smaller version of the Varl from Banner Saga?

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:13:39 pm »

So a smaller version of the Varl from Banner Saga?
i was actually thinking of the Norse/Chaos warriors from Warhammer fantasy.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:14 am »

Different castes for elves, like Drow, High Elves, Wood Elves, and other Elves
Maybe the (evil) drow will turn out to be the only cool elves and ally with the goblins.
Then again goblins are really evil and it'll probably become backstabbing o'clock within a year
thincake

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 08:05:05 am »

Flying annoying fairies with pranking-oriented magic that turn into healing dust when killed.
._.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 08:13:45 am »

Don't know if this counts, but I'm making a series of megabeasts based on the 7 Deadly Sins - right now I have Gluttony, Wrath, Sloth and Lust finished; I mostly got the inspiration from Dead Rising 3 and Fullmetal Alchemist.
The idea is that they're humanoids cursed and twisted by the gods for their respective sins. I gave them a somewhat abstract naming scheme. They're all lair hunters with their own lines when looking for adventurers to eat up.
Lust is a tumorous, tentacled freak, with skill in whips, wresting, fist fighting, kicking, and biting, among some other skills. Males and females have slightly different body parts and different syndromes, but both cause them by spurting fluids at enemies. Males cause blisters, bruising, swelling, necrosis and dizziness, whereas females cause nausea, bleeding, dizziness, and vomiting and coughing blood.
Sloth is an emaciated, blobby monster with an oversized head and brain, that has only a skin layer and moves by levitating. It attacks by hurling rocks with its mind, kicking up undirected dust, shooting jets of fire and raising corpses.
Gluttony is a massive beast with eyes in random places (like on its hand), a head thats a maw with an eye on top, and another fanged mouth on its stomach. It can throw up, causing necrosis, swelling and nausea.
Lastly, Wrath is a huge, muscular humanoid that lacks any indirect attacks, but has magma for blood, making it dangerous up close.
I could post them if someone is interested, though I'd have to clean them up somewhat as my raws are rather messy - that, and all 4 of them are rather hard to kill without savescumming (no pain, no fear, etc.)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:32 am »

I could post them if someone is interested, though I'd have to clean them up somewhat as my raws are rather messy - that, and all 4 of them are rather hard to kill without savescumming (no pain, no fear, etc.)
Sounds pretty interesting. If you want help with coding or ideas post it in the modding forum, but if it's just posting the mod even if it's unfinished it's supposed to go in the mod releases.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 01:44:47 pm »

Having played Endless Legend quite a lot recently, I've been impressed by the relative uniqueness of the available races:

• Wild Walkers: something like a cross between an elf and a twi'lek, they can shapeshift into animals and summon giant tree people;
  • Broken Lords: once human, now empty suits of armour that survive by sucking out the lifeforc of other beings;
  • Vaulters: Humans who've hid in high-tech vaults for centuries and have lost most understanding of the tech they use - space marines with crossbows and axes (perfect as a playable race in a conversion mod....)
  • Necrophages: insectoid hive-mind that converts enemies' biomatter into more of their own;
  • Ardent Mages: fucked up humans with telekinetic abilities and little clothing or armour;
  • Cultists: really creepy ...statue? people? some pretty crazy body plans anyway.
  • Roving Clans: Humans that travel in great caravans and cities on the backs of giant beetles - not so easily translateable to DF for sure...
    • Drakken: Dragon people! interesting in that they're primarily focussed on diplomacy.
    There's also a bunch of minor factions which i'm not gonna list individually but can be seen [ur=http://endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Minor_Factionsl]here[/url]. Highlights include two-headed gnolls, enormous spider/mantid centaurs, crystal golems...

My point is, I'm not saying anyone should copy these exactly, though you could if you wanted to; I just think the units are worth a look at as tehy have some interesting and varied designs - perhaps one or more will inspire you!

(damn, now I really want to make an endlesslegend total conversion.... hmmm.....)

Unrelated idea: Amoeba people - basically your typical indestructable blob, though possibly with some pseudopods to hold tools etc with.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:47:09 pm by Ladygolem »
Pages: [1] 2 3