Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven military; what materials are best for what use  (Read 8971 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven military; what materials are best for what use
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »

I'm going to hide my marks dwarves behind a wall of spear dwarves.
Not exactly planning on facing anything specific but have gobos near by I think and not much else.
Was planning on sending my spear dwarves into training for a few years and get a few hunters out into a meat bone leather industry while the others train so I will have half decent marks dwarves and well trained spear dwarves for them to hide behind.

With this, marks dwarves can fire 'around' 'over' friendly people in combat right?
And the question still stands is silver better than copper, or the other way around, for making spears?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 12:09:12 pm »

Copper is better for spears. They said that silver is the worst. How is that not clear?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 12:11:27 pm »

Sorry
Nevermind

I wasn't sure if it was good for puncturing or not I don't think that was mentioned though

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 12:11:59 pm »

I've never had swordorfs that I've deemed more effective than axelords is the problem. 

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »

I usually use swords or axe dwarves but I'm trying something new with spears

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 12:14:28 pm »

With this, marks dwarves can fire 'around' 'over' friendly people in combat right?
And the question still stands is silver better than copper, or the other way around, for making spears?

Yes, marksdorfs can safely fire through/around friendlies

No no no no no.  Silver is the worst material for all weapons except blunt.  Then its the best (standard metal).  Spears aren't blunt, thus they should be anything but silver.

For the same reason, DO NOT USE SILVER BOLTS.  Wasting your silver.  Use copper for those too. 

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:29 pm »

Ok

And what about silver helmets or something then?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 12:17:16 pm »

A longsword is better against everything than a battleaxe. The battleaxe is the strongest axe dwarves can get, so if you get a longsword artifact, that dwarf will be better than any axe dwarf. Also, the battle axe can't stab. A short sword is good enough to stab right to an elephant's heart.

Silver can't be used for armour, and would be bad for it anyway. Bad quality and too cumbersome.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 12:20:25 pm »

And I don't much want hammers except for one , one for the leader of my military...
So I guess my dwarves will get to experience fine silver furniture then

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 02:03:42 pm »

Figure I'll provide my own input on this matter since I usually stick to militiadwarves to deal with anything short of toxic blood/gas, webs, and fire.

Spoiler: Armor and Metals (click to show/hide)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:37 pm »

I'm assuming silver is better than bone or wood for bolts?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »

Any metal's better than bone or wood, but  bone and wood bolts are good for training so the combat ammo isn't gobbled up at the range.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »

As far as training armor/weapon smiths on a budget.... don't forget you can melt down your end products to keep going.  Now... this can be -very- exploity if you make things that melt down for MORE than they cost (menacing spikes return 150%).  No armor/weapon smithing item smelts down for a reasonable 100% (metal is infinitely and easily recyclable... why doesn't everything just melt down for 100%!?), however they smelt for 90% and 120% often.  When I settle on metal-less embarks (sometimes flux stone/coal give false positive on "deep metal") or embarks where you get no good metals (all nickel, lead, and tin without copper), I am forced to level off imports.  I tend to make 2 90% melt items for every one 120% melt item.  So long as you make the 120% first, it should be fine.  Fractions of a bar are saved in the furnace.  Just always use the same smelter for melting to save all those fractions up.  When you melt 1 120% and 2 90% you complete the cycle and are returned your 3 bars.  Just never deconstruct this smelter and try to always use it for melting.  Also keep in mind that melting down all of a dorf's Masterwork weapons and armor will cause him to tantrum.  Destroying (melting) down a dorf's only masterpiece will make him LIVID.  Use workshop profiles to only use low level weapon/armorsmiths for this, or simply keep the masterworks saved for military use and melt down all lesser qualities.  You could also trade away the masterwork copper pieces- they should be valueable enough to trade nicely and leaving the map edge doesn't count as being "destroyed."  It would also be useful for training your army of haulers into weapon/armor smiths to prime them for strange moods.  Just get them high enough to change profession and they might churn out an artifact steel/addy armor/weapon for you.  Just remember that addamantium BLUNT weapons are beyond worthless.  Blunt weapons rely too much on weight (which candy has none to speak of). 

Now... maybe swords are better than I let on.  I've always had tremendous success with using axes as my default weapons.  I also consider them far more "dorfy" than human swords.  You also mentioned LONGswords being able to shear limbs at legendary just like an axelord, but the thing is dorf's can only forge SHORTswords.  I've never played adventure mode much (and always did so as a dorf), but maybe long swords at legendary are as good as axes, but short swords? I've never had but one squad of them in a mature fort for the hell of it.  I typically just rely on warhammers or axes (depending on how much silver I have) with a squad of spears for forgotten beasts and other big baddies.  However.... I have seen a single war hammer user take down a flesh-based FB in only a couple of rounds (unharmed mind you) in my last fort.  *shrugs* Maybe the differences aren't as much as we think. 

Oh yes! A link for melting ratios- please use responsibly:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Melt_item
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:54:39 pm by Niddhoger »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »

I'm assuming silver is better than bone or wood for bolts?

Silver is better than bone for bolts, but copper is a huge step up from silver.  Bolts actually do rely on weight as well as shear strength to puncture armor.  For this reason, silver has decent weight that can overcome its low edge.  However... copper is half as heavy but far sharper (and wood/bone have neither weight nor shear strength... making them terrible).  Curiously, adamantium bolts (feather lite) are just as good as steel for puncturing anything but candy armor (steel bolts are better than addy for fighting addy armor).  Their MASSIVE shear strength overcomes their weight.  Still better to just use steel bolts due to addy's rarity. 

Come to think of it, was the sword advocate thinking of CANDY swords when talking about how they are just as good as axes for shearing limbs? Addy is so sharp I'd believe it.  However for lesser metals like steel... does this still hold true? I've never bothered to forge candy swords.  Just candy armor, axes, and spears. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 02:41:30 pm »

I tend to use swords pretty extensively, hence my advocation of them. Copper, Bronze, Iron, steel, they all tend to perform fairly well for thier materials. To me though there's no such thing as a dwarfy weapon, since they make use of the basics so to speak, and use them as extensively as humans do.

Steel-grade metal swords are excellent for lopping off limbs. I do admit ability goes down for everything except blunt weapons the worse the material gets though, but a good copper sword will do at least as well as an iron one thanks to quality modifiers in my experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5