Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 52879 times)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2015, 07:21:32 pm »

Looks like my message is still there. Not a single overseer has mentioned it yet. I am amused.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2015, 02:06:22 am »

I just changed it to "suck", so I assume at least one other person saw it and fixed it.

Also Dumat made herself queen? Shame, she was an excellent mayor who asked for achievable but not negligble things and never went on break. I recommend engraving her rooms and filling with statues some more, they're just above the dining areas and the Throne Room.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2015, 08:07:45 am »

I am honestly a bit surprised this hasn't imploded yet. Most succession games rapidly do.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2015, 10:35:20 am »

I am honestly a bit surprised this hasn't imploded yet. Most succession games rapidly do.

DON'T JINX IT!

We're going for the title of "That one successful succession game"

So, Fperson1, did you want a turn in the game at all?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:41:02 am by darokindefender »
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2015, 01:58:45 pm »

I'll be looking over the save, and will try to have something up tonight or tomorrow.

Fperson1

• Bay Watcher
  • A Distressing Lack of Weaponsmiths
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2015, 05:14:37 pm »

So, Fperson1, did you want a turn in the game at all?

Maybe, if the line gets shorter. As it stands my work and school schedules are made weekly, so I don't know if I'll have time to play more than a week in the future. I'd hate to jump in line and then have to get skipped.
Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Go out there and make those 12 children of yours proud... or I'll draft all of them and send a giant ball of your progeny at the enemy if you die. Fun for the whole family!

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2015, 10:14:15 am »

Okay.  Understandable.

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2015, 10:36:38 pm »

I'd like a turn. I mean, I think I'll be able to play two months in the future, but I can't be 100% sure...
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2015, 12:55:07 am »

1st Granite, 104

My name is Loyal Ustosidek. Student of psychology, nearly graduated, just gotta get my paper written.

So with that in mind, it might seem strange that I've found my way to the fortress, "Shadowgraves." I've heard from my professor that it'd gone through a lot in the few short years since it was established, and there's sure to be all sorts of fascinating folks here. I owe him a lot, telling me about this place. I was sure after that incident with the Plump Helmet Men he'd be mad, but he was very understanding. After I told him I was looking for a subject for my thesis paper he just smiled and told me about this place...

And what a place it is! Perfect fodder for me to write my thesis on! These folks are positively neurotic! I just need to find a worthy subject and delve deep into their psyche. Probing the contours of their mind for every event, every secret, every joy and pain, and find out just what keeps them going through their day-to-day stresses when everything around them keeps changing.

My name is Loyal Ustosidek. But soon, they'll be calling me "Doctor"!

Just as soon as I have a chat with this lady...

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2015, 01:03:21 am »

She's called Torridlances... Now I have a better idea of what kind of sheanigans she pulled off to become queen.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:57 pm »

Don't you dare slack off and let that queen die!

I literally pulled the fortress to a complete halt and shut everything down when she was elected Mayor to get her her rooms in time. I recommend huge side expansions for the bedroom, lots of statues, expanding the dining room into what is currently her throne room, and using the huge multilevel structure to the west of the statue garden as her throne room.

The better the accommodation you can get her right away, the less severe the bad thought.
If you need statues in a hurry, rip down the statue garden.
If all else fails, her current throne room has an artefact rack worth  several thousand urists, which can be deployed tactically anywhere that needs a buff.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:02 pm »

She's called Torridlances... Now I have a better idea of what kind of sheanigans she pulled off to become queen.

So, you just need to get rid of her, and we can create Blockedlance 2.  :P

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:27 am »

Wait, wasn't my dwarf married to her? Sure no power but hell yeah amazing bedroom!

I know there was two of me once, so I don't know if that's still true.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2015, 01:11:00 am »

Don't you dare slack off and let that queen die!

I literally pulled the fortress to a complete halt and shut everything down when she was elected Mayor to get her her rooms in time. I recommend huge side expansions for the bedroom, lots of statues, expanding the dining room into what is currently her throne room, and using the huge multilevel structure to the west of the statue garden as her throne room.

The better the accommodation you can get her right away, the less severe the bad thought.
If you need statues in a hurry, rip down the statue garden.
If all else fails, her current throne room has an artefact rack worth  several thousand urists, which can be deployed tactically anywhere that needs a buff.
I'm working on it. Right now her room has no engravings, so that's step one. Thank goodness for designation priorities. I'll need to check and see if we have any really good engravers, so I guess an inventory of my assets is step zero. If it gets troublesome I can probably cheese the room value with trap components, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

Hoping to get an update by Monday evening, my work schedule's just screwy right now.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2015, 11:27:39 pm »

Alt Title: Not Quite An Update Yet Post But I Am Working On It:

Update still in progress. As a reminder, I'd only just barely kept up with the fort between when I signed up and now. So to tide you over I'm gonna post the general stream-of-consciousness I had when I was first looking through the fort, to give you an idea of what this place looks like to someone who had no idea what's going on:

Loyal: This fortress design is fucking anarchy.
Sithdarth: Does it have cat oscillators?
Loyal: Random sections of dirt have been dug out and then walled off, there are stairs that lead nowhere in particular...
Loyal: About half a dozen "finished good" stockpiles spread through two floors.
Loyal: A worryingly large hospital separated into rooms for no apparent reason. No traction benches, guess that's the first thing I do.
Sithdarth: If you aren't using animals for computational purposes it can be that crazy
Loyal: Nothing like that, just things that don't make sense.
Sithdarth: I tried to make a cat breeding pit once
Loyal: Outdoor farms in the main courtyard that aren't being used.
Sithdarth: For computational purposes
Sithdarth: It ended badly
Fenris: the more you say "computational purposes"
Loyal: A main entrance flanked with moats that have no depth, no liquids, and can be safely exited.
Fenris: more convinced I am that it is code for something entirely different
Sithdarth: Eventually they did have to die because they escaped and cats breed exponentially in dwarf fortress
Loyal: It's possible, albeit obviously inefficient, to make computery shit with levers, pressure plates, fluid logic, or some combination of all three.
Loyal: One dude made a working calculator.
Sithdarth: It make good timed logic you need a cat, some doors, and a pressure plate
Loyal: Okay, here's a thing. http://i.imgur.com/aieugR4.png
Loyal: A pile of corpses in a random, walled off room, just off the dining room.
Loyal: Also a cat is in there for some reason.
Sithdarth: Clearly the cat went insane
Sithdarth: And the only way to save the fortress was to wall him off
Sithdarth: The dwarfs that got left behind were a noble sacrifice
Loyal: In the new, current corpse stockpile, there exists a drawbridge that can be raised to seal it off. That's ominous.
Loyal: There's a lot of circular paths. Someone dug out a bunch of rooms and then didn't do anything with them. Another guy put the kitchens, butcheries, etc about 15z levels below the farms and corpse stockpiles so I'm sure that's highly efficient.
Loyal: Deep in the caverns are two forgotten beast corpses, so I can only assume they killed each other. Another forgotten beast is at large elsewhere and the caverns are sealed off, but that's nothing new.
Loyal: In addition to the above, there are random doors that lead no place in particular, including a few that exit into empty space.
Loyal: Someone did this: http://i.imgur.com/rvxCesy.png
Loyal: I have no idea why.
Loyal: The manager's office to the left is suspended on a platform, for some reason.
Sithdarth: Incentive
Loyal: Like, it's solid ground, it's just on a raised area for some reason.
Loyal: Someone set up magma forges, but there's so incredibly far below everything else that it's not even worth using.
Loyal: To the east of the fortress is about three hundred loose logs so someone went on a deforesting spree.
Loyal: But the trees have since regrown in full, so this means someone chopped all those trees and nobody collected them for any purpose.
Loyal: over a course of years.
Loyal: There's a random-ass well in the area where all the workshops are.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26