Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 52828 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:27 pm »

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, SOAP will save this fortress. I need to build a wall to block off the caverns, The closest building materials we have is SOAP!

I wish none of this was happening.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2015, 12:54:26 am »

Sent Loyal a PM, we'll see if he posts in the next couple days.

And after his turn I'll get a chance to be overseer! For real though, and not in some alternate timeline nightmare!
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »

I'm up already?

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a save file anywhere.

Full Disclosure, I've only just barely been keeping up with the fortress over the last few turns. I think it's a little more fun if I don't know what I'm getting into.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:30:28 pm by Loyal »

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2015, 01:16:10 pm »

Whoops, no you're not. My fault. I misinterpreted Xub's last update and final sentences as finishing the year up. Carry on!

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:16 pm »

Sorry, I didn't word that very well did I? I'll edit that post to clear some stuff up.

I didn't have much time to play yesterday, and I was pretty frustrated with that military bug. I overlooked a lot of things, like how I set the emergency bridge to retract like a total idiot. :P

However, I was planning on finishing up my turn today anyway. If not, I'll finish on Thursday. :)

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2015, 06:10:21 pm »

26th Limestone, 103

Let's count the dead shall we?

Muthkat the mace lord, Astesh the macedwarf, Id the macedwarf, Likot the hammerdwarf, Litast the macedwarf, Atîs the macedwarf, Datan the hammerdwarf, Zulban the swordsdwarf, Zastit the speardwarf, Ĺblel the dwarven child, and Stodir the beekeepeer.

We can recover though. The other forgotten beast is blocked off, we just need to clean up the mess and draft some more civilians into the military.

Zan Nebélgoden has begun a mysterious construction!

This better be good. An artifact door would be nice.

3rd Sandstone, 103

The cleanup is going quickly, once that's done, I will seal up the caverns. unless Zan makes an artifact door.

Nice! There will now be a safe entrance to the caverns.

4th Sandstone, 103

Some migrants have arrived. We could really use some fresh victims recruits.

Seven in total. Not much, but four had decent combat skills. I recruted them to The Armored Paints.

7th Sandstone, 103

Ithibi is still alive. I'm not even surprised. I don't want to close off the caverns and lose a bunch of weapons/armor. We'll have to fight it.

12th Opal, 103

I sent the military out but it seems Ithibi is content with sitting in it's tree and not bothering anyone. It won't move to attack my dwarfs. He'll have to stay for now.

17th Sandstone, 103

I've moved the barracks outside to combat cave adaption.

I've also used the previously useless tower rooms as an armory.

27th Sandstone, 103

Not much has happened this month. I've been focusing on finishing up projects and organizing stockpiles. Once that is done, I'll move the hospital down to the new well. Ithibi is still hanging out in its spore tree.

1st Moonstone

The goblins should be here any day now...

Yep, right on time.

Spoiler: units screen (click to show/hide)

Well, we got goblins this time at least. I didn't have time to set up any traps, and the military is a lot weaker due to the forgotten beast incident. Yet I think we can take them.

A couple dwarfs didn't make it inside in time and were skewered by goblins. The trolls went ahead into the corridor and were chopped to bits. Now the goblins are regrouping by the entrance.

Spoiler: tall screenshot (click to show/hide)

Charge!

Spoiler: CHARGE.gif (click to show/hide)

A recruit from the most recent migrant wave got his head smashed in by a goblin maceman, but the rest of the military is holding up fine. The marksdwarf squad needs to hurry up and get to the battle though.

Now the military is kicking butt. They've almost cleared all the goblins in the hallway. Less than half of the siege has been killed though. The rest of the goblins are outside smashing puppies.

The dwarfs have entirely cleared the hallway. They won't go back in though. I looks like we're taking the fight to them.

Spoiler: CHARGE2.gif (click to show/hide)

Let the butt kicking ensue. The only named dwarf in this fight is Iamblichos Fperson. Dorsidwarf II and Maxcat are lagging behind bigtime. One macedwarf recruit died in that gif.

Spoiler: KickingButt.gif (click to show/hide)

Annnd done! Two dead recruits but a lot of shiny goblinite!

Here's the combat report for Iamblichos Fperson if you're curious.
Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)

I don't think I'll be able to finish today. I'll finish up tomorrow and hand over the save. Hopefully the .gifs don't cause any issues.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:43:01 pm by xub313 »

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2015, 06:53:29 pm »

Nice post! The gifs work great.

Also it looks like Iamblichos hardened to death halfway through that battle.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »

Excellent... I fear no greenie, nor their bloody corpses!  TASTE MAH AXE!!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:21 pm »

Damn, now I wish I hadn't defaulted on my turn. Keep it up, and acquire more minerals

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2015, 12:05:27 am »

Why do all the fun things, like undead goblins, or non-undead goblins and terrifying Mega-beasts always happen on other people's turns? All I get to deal with are logs and cave ins. Not even a single crundle attack or were-beast. I am very disappointed in my luck.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Fperson1

• Bay Watcher
  • A Distressing Lack of Weaponsmiths
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2015, 12:34:21 am »

So, we engage a goblin siege and multiple FBs, and I don't show up to any of the fights? Is my dorf just lazy?

Also, that's some incredible luck getting an artifact door right when you need it. I've never gotten an artifact door.
Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Go out there and make those 12 children of yours proud... or I'll draft all of them and send a giant ball of your progeny at the enemy if you die. Fun for the whole family!

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2015, 01:41:44 pm »

So, we engage a goblin siege and multiple FBs, and I don't show up to any of the fights? Is my dorf just lazy?

Also, that's some incredible luck getting an artifact door right when you need it. I've never gotten an artifact door.

Oh gosh... I accidentally named your dwarf Iamblichos...

Sorry Iamblichos, you're just an engraver. Fperson is the battle hardened axedwarf. Whoops!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2015, 02:09:17 pm »

Bwahaha... I was wondering!  Thought maybe I was drafted.  Or even better yet, had become "Iamblichos, Axe-Wielding Engraver of Flesh".
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Fperson1

• Bay Watcher
  • A Distressing Lack of Weaponsmiths
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2015, 03:15:28 pm »

Oh gosh... I accidentally named your dwarf Iamblichos...

Sorry Iamblichos, you're just an engraver. Fperson is the battle hardened axedwarf. Whoops!

Ah, okay.

I do enjoy the mental image of me swinging an axe at a goblin, and pausing now and then to remark that death doesn't horrify me. Maybe not three times for every swing, but it seems to have worked anyways.
Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Go out there and make those 12 children of yours proud... or I'll draft all of them and send a giant ball of your progeny at the enemy if you die. Fun for the whole family!

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2015, 06:36:23 pm »

6th Moonstone, 103

Now begins the cleanup. This is going to suck up a lot of dwarf labor, but it will provide much needed metal for the fortress.

The recruits who died are Deduk Kilrudthak and Amost Enshalcog. Rith Ducimfesh the miner, Monom Egastrakust the Diagnoser, and The poor puppy Ast Thibamerib also died in the conflict. No injuries aside from a few bruises. The military is already back to sparring in the barracks.

25th Moonstone, 103

Most of the goblin corpses have been cleaned up. The walls are about finished. I doubt I'll have time to set up any traps. It's a shame the "monkey bomb" trap I was planning will have to be downgraded.

I really need to start smoothing and furnishing rooms. I've completely neglected furniture aside from the new dining room. The dwarfs living arrangements haven't improved any during my turn.

Also, the nobles have been relentless with their mandates. The mayor demands two fine pewter doors despite the fact that our only fine pewter bar was used to make an artifact chain and we don't have any tin to make more. I need to give the duchess better rooms as well.

12th Opal, 103

Speaking of annoying nobles...

Ugh... This is our previous mayor. As if she was already demanding enough. At least we don't need to carve out another noble room.

Now she's mandating more spears. Woe is me!

24th Opal, 103

Things are very peaceful right now. Projects are finishing up.

Ughhh... I wish I had the time for an "unfortunate accident" right now. She's haggard because of her impossible demands.

25th Opal, 103

While moving cages around, I found out that our giant red panda is dead. It's corpse is still in the cage though. I forgot we even had a giant panda. I wonder how it died.

Also, I realized that SkiaiMechanic is the queen's wife. Sucks to be you! :P

Ok, so I may have forgotten to make a jail. I don't care though. The queen will get what she deserves.

I'm not even mad. It's all her fault anyway. But Shadowgraves is gonna need a prison soon.

5th Obsidian, 103

There are now two flying FBs in the lower caverns. I think I'll let them fight one another and then attack the winner.

12th Obsidian, 103

Obi (the bat FB) and Thudeleslo (the bee FB) fought. They both killed each other. Lucky me!

I'm not sure if it was the poisonous sting or the deadly blood that killed the other, but I do know that the lower caverns are safe for now. Technically the upper caverns are also safe. Ithibi is still stuck in it's spore tree.

On the other hand. These nobles are giving me a headache. Mandates, demands, and blocked exports are flying all over the place.

27th Obsidian

I made a prison and the queen is serving 27 days for destroying a road. The dining room and a bunch of other rooms have been smoothed as well.

1st Granite, 104

Well, that's the end of my turn. I got everything I could ask for. two goblin sieges, four forgotten beasts, and lots of dead dwarfs. :P

Good luck to the next overseer of Shadowgraves.

Here's an overview of the fortress for those interested.

Spoiler: Overview gif (click to show/hide)

Annnd here's the save file: dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10483

It's version .40.24 btw. Hopefully the starter pack and other utilities update soon if you need to use them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:47:04 pm by xub313 »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26