Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Undead should not be intelligent, they should be slow and unable to block/dodge.  (Read 26209 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The main problem is that this game isn't just about Fortress mode , it's also about Adventure mode , as such things needs to be a bit more balanced in order to make both modes entertaining and playable for everyone.

I can't say that I find a game very enjoying if you have to save scum and hope you don't encounter Zombies even if you are fully armored and have legendary skills , it should be difficult ( mainly because of the inmense numbers of undeads ) but not impossible and you should have an option.

That was the good thing about Fortress mode before Zombies became the most deadly thing on Dwarfland even before the circus , you somewhat knew that you would be challenged and if you did dig too deep you would risk being smashed to pulpy dwarf bits pretty fast by the circus clowns.

Ive enjoyed both Adventure mode and Dwarf mode and I have to honestly say that this current release is the one i find less enjoyable even though it has a lot more than the other versions , then again it's not because of one problem but a multitude of problems that adds a bit to the playability of the current version one by one :

*Zombies : As other people has stated , way too strong and deadly. Should be stronger than a normal sentient being , but not that overpowered as they currently are.
*Bugs : Quite a few small bugs that either crashes your game or impacts some aspects of the game. At least they might get fixed over time.
*Game speed : It's very hard to enjoy a game that slows down over time and once you hit a certain speed everything seems to crawl to a stop. I've been down to 10Fps and it was very hard to continue to play that fortress even though it was only a few years old and had almost reached 125 dwarves.

I am faithfull that Toady will be able to correct some of these problems and perhaps in a few months time we won't remember the problems we had in this release.

the fps death is a common problem that i doubt will be fixed anytime soon...

zombies..i honestly dont see the slag. there has been numerous animals that are supposed to be weak that have turned out stronger than god. true some of these were nerfed, but mostly it was never on purpose nerf but rather they got nerfed along some other major patch in as a side effect.i seriously am againts nerfing things just because they are difficult. thats just needles pandering.

also df isnt really supposed to be fair...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

DF may not always be fair, but it is supposed to be fun.

Zombies right now are not fun at all. It's not "needles pandering" to explain that a self-replicating common enemy can one-shot kill legendary swordsmasters through adamantium full-plate reliably, every time.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF may not always be fair, but it is supposed to be fun.

Zombies right now are not fun at all. It's not "needles pandering" to explain that a self-replicating common enemy can one-shot kill legendary swordsmasters through adamantium full-plate reliably, every time.

i have had people wrapped in iron armor slaughter a horde of zombies...are you sure you didnt just anger the rng gods?

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i have had people wrapped in iron armor slaughter a horde of zombies...are you sure you didnt just anger the rng gods?

I have had peasants with 250 strenght one shot goblins in one hit to the skull.
I honestly believe something is wrong , but if we are going to have zombies like this in the game I'd like the possibility to adjust their difficulty myself.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have had peasants with 250 strenght one shot goblins in one hit to the skull.
I honestly believe something is wrong , but if we are going to have zombies like this in the game I'd like the possibility to adjust their difficulty myself.

i dont think i have ever had any dorf with 250 anything since i normally quit my forts the moment i reach year 5.

and i doubt you will see difficulty settings for df anytime soon. so your best bet is to play with the coding...

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile

250 strength is less than a fourth the average strength of a dwarf.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

More importantly, 250 reflected an untrained body.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Speaking about those lethal punching, i wonder it's not the undead that are overpowered silly but something that is just broken with punch&kicks. On the battle logs i often see someone punching an armored guy and the part hit collapsing, and those are common guys, not superdwarven or undead things.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well yea in arena testing modded critters dwarves consistently score killing kicks, and as an adventurer I frequently take points in kicking cuz snap-kicks work wonders.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Bogeymen are often scoring thos bodypart "collapse in lump of gore" punches and kicks.
And that despite they're much smaller than a dwarf.

Hmm, i'll have to try an adventurer with punch/kick skills instead of weapon skills and see if the results are indeed broken.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking about those lethal punching, i wonder it's not the undead that are overpowered silly but something that is just broken with punch&kicks. On the battle logs i often see someone punching an armored guy and the part hit collapsing, and those are common guys, not superdwarven or undead things.

It all boils down to the fact that a chipped bone generally knocks you out. The game cannot tell the difference between a hairline fracture, something people often don't notice, versus having your bone suddenly shatter.

Heck it isn't unusual for people to break bones without noticing (ribs is a common one).

---

Though I am glad more people are suggesting that nerfs to Zombies come in the "generally make them not so overwhelmingly amazing" versus the "Lets make them slow, clumsy, boring husks that shamble towards you"

Not that I am against Shamblers... But that DFs "Undead are an improvement over the original" is rather unique.

Heck I wouldn't mind Shamblers in addition, though they would be pointlessly fodderish.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:36:25 pm by Neonivek »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

I think I have to agree with something about punching being insanely broken as well. Granted, I usually adventure as gigantic modded creatures because I'm bad, but even using steel picks and such I'm usually just better off punching whatever I fight because it shatters bones and pulps parts.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont remember ever being killed in advmode by anything other than punches to the head... even by other weaponmasters

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's more than just the issue with unarmed combat. Everything can do unarmed combat, but when you combine

1. the ability for night creatures/undead to detect anything, and have significantly increased stats

2. the weird ability for stuff to punch/kick/bite through anything especially with night creature/undead stats

3. the escalated effectiveness of wrestling due to increased night creature/undead stats

4. the raw punishment an undead unit can take

5. necromancers

It gets silly. I fully encourage Toady to release more challenging content for DF players, but I find it hard to believe that necromancers should be able to summon an army of demi god equivalents with the flick of a wrist and small pet cemetery.

Maybe make some forms of wandering undead really really strong, being infused with some demon god's hatred, or maybe an undead kings guard (you get the idea)...But these necromancers man, some are ex-cheese makers you're talking about.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1 doesnt happen.  With the exception of mummies, who hone in on desecrators.

You can sneak up on undead towers.

video 2 showcases that.  Well, it showcases how smoke breaks their detection.  I snuck up on them to lay down the fire.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:39:54 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10