Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Above ground vertical fortress?  (Read 2901 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Above ground vertical fortress?
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:11:08 pm »

I want to build an above ground tower as tall as possible.

I only want necessary workshops to survive (kitchens, stills, farm plots, etc), mine as few stones as possible (maybe I can use logs or clay to build the tower). Most workshops are 3x3, so the main structure of the tower should be 7x7, including walls and stairs. The trade depot can be put in the basement, near the clay collecting area.

As for defense, I want to drop clay boulders or collapse floors onto the enemies. But I need to make sure the "cave-in waves" don't destroy my tower walls. Is this idea viable?

If I recall correctly, cave in can destroy floors, if the basement is at least  2 z-levels below it should be safe. Is that right?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Above ground vertical fortress?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:25:35 pm »

Ship in metals and equipment, get bone bolts flowing with a butchery, wooden crossbows and shield, minimal amount of metal, a mail shirt+helm+weapon, with maximum leather and bone usage per soldier, and you can have a thriving military off of little to no metal.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

Yeah, I've made a fort using leather and bone armors and wood shields (cave men fortress?)

This time I want to try something new. Artificial cave-in sounds fun.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »

look up BraveMule, they built a tower - although they also had extensive underground fun.  I love building above ground, although I tend to have multiple apartment block style towers, with flying bridges between them, and elaborate set ups to freight magma up into them, and general fun.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 08:55:54 pm »

you could still mine, specially if in an embark without much wood (althought with this version that's redundant), just make a small stair mine and prospect for ore veins and gems. the stone you get could be used for fortifications, specially fireproof ones. and save the wood for more important constructions.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »

Yeah, guess I want to make it a little challenge. Never really used clay before.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:13 pm »

Clay can be used for construction even in its base boulder form. This is actually a really useful trick on sparse embarks or if you need a wall up in a hurry. But back to the matter at hand: If you wish for building the not-rock tower to be difficult (yet still possible), use glass. Or use nothing but wood blocks (bonus points if they are all of the same tree species). Or build it entirely out of some cheap, commonly-available metal such as lead or copper. Or soap.

Cave-ins will take any additional "floors" with it on the way down, constructed or natural, but walls will stand firm. If you wanted to safely collapse something inside of the tower, you'd need to make sure the thing caving in drops on top of a wall construction, which means dedicating extra floors for just that purpose.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:35 am »

I recently started building with clay boulders which are in fact very exploity. However, considering the scale of building you and I may talk about, it may be a reasonable way.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 04:01:39 am »

I'm still using 40.19 (LNP).
To collect clay, you need a kiln first, I don't know if this has been changed in newer versions.
So if you embark on a stoneless (aquifer) map, you can't have clay boulder unless you bring some stones/metal bars with you.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 04:07:14 am »

I've tried building clay forts before & even bringing 7 blocks for 7 kilns/collect clay orders can be painfully slow. It's probably fun if your patient enough to live with 1 bolder at a time.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

Well to me the job is fast enough. You don't need a stockpile because the clay zone works like a quantum stockpile.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 12:25:24 pm »

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:57 pm »

Skyfort?
Yeah, that is huge.

Well I should have used dfhack to reveal the map to avoid caverns... well not a big deal anyway.

It seems I can only build 16 z levels above ground so I need to dig deeper, maybe remove channel out those tiles around the tower to make it more tower-like. :P

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 03:24:41 pm »

You could use dfhack's infiniteSky command to add more sky levels.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 03:42:20 pm »

You could use dfhack's infiniteSky command to add more sky levels.
also advanced worldgen has a thing where you can choose how many levels above '0z' you want.

And on hillier embarks you end up with a lot of sky too, as the map stretches to accommodate the highest point of ground.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2