Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 85

Author Topic: Let's Choose in Life of a Wizard!  (Read 68301 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Life of a Wizard!
« Reply #660 on: January 26, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »

3) c'mon, they're fairies. We can't rob them of everything they have!

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 26, 2015, 05:06:07 pm »

3 is fine
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2015, 05:14:27 pm »

They were taken aback by this, feeling that their gift was being rejected. It took me some time to explain that this wasn't the case. I looked over both bundles in great detail, learning a lot about herb lore in the process. Finally, I think they understood what my intentions had been.
(Alchemy +10, Nature +10, Agriculture +10, Good +15)

The community of fey gathered around me; I could feel that they were very curious about me. I knew that something special was occurring. I had the opportunity to become a druid.

I declined the offer.

I was happy to have helped, but I had my own destiny in mind. I turned down the offer to become a druid and continued onward toward the orc nation. Even though I didn't become a druid, I still learned a lot from the fey creatures.
(Nature +15)

We arrived at the great orc city. It wasn't really a city, but more of a collection of orc tribes. They had pelt houses and wooden enclosures that stretched across the wilderness. They were a rough species, but they allowed us to pass with only a few bad words and dirty looks. We stopped at an inn to rest before presenting ourselves to the Orc Chieftain.

"You must be the great wizard I heard about," the Orc Chieftain said to me when we arrived.

I gave him the peace treaty that Fraledan had given us.

"You will stay with us and bring back my reply."

The enormous orc warrior waved to his attendants, who led us to a tent for us to stay in.

A few weeks later, I was called back into the Orc Chieftain's tent. He seemed very unsure of himself, obviously enjoying the concessions made in the treaty but also wanting to continue with the invasion.

I smoothed over any last uncertainties, paving the way for peace. (Needs 40 Diplomacy)

The treaty was already pretty sweet for the orcs, so it wasn't too difficult for me to show them just how good it was. The Chieftain signed the papers happily before sending me on my way.
(Diplomacy +10, Orc Faction +15)

Fraledan seemed tired and sad when we returned. He leaned heavily upon his old staff, and his eyes had bags under them. He was happy that the treaty had been accepted, but he knew that the concessions would weaken Daria even more. He gave us our reward for a job well done.
(Fame +1, Gold +175)

I was reading an old dusty tome when I had a surprise visitor at the Full Cup Inn.

"Good morning, Gorl Rockeater. I'm glad to see that you've continued to work on your magic."

It was Master Durgan, the doorkeeper of the Academy! I hadn't seen him in a long time, but he hardly seemed to have changed at all. He greeted me warmly as though the many years since I had failed to graduate didn't exist.

"I'm afraid this isn't a social call," he said, bowing his bald head. "We need your help."

We looked over our equipment and trained in our skills before we left.

(We trained Stewart, crafted the Collection of Poisons for Maris, and crafted the Elixir of Wisdom and the Ancient Holy Symbol for Hermann.)

We packed up our belongings and left the tavern. I could feel the wrongness the instant we arrived at the Academy.

"Archmage Lacius took ill a few weeks before the incidents began," Master Durgan explained.

"What incidents?" I asked.

Instead of telling me, he showed me. He muttered the magic words and waved his hands in intricate mystical designs. I recognized the simple spell and knew that it should have created a small ball of light. Instead of creating a soft illumination, it changed into something completely different. The very fabric of reality was torn in front of me and a sharp-toothed demon stepped forth! Master Durgan was ready for it and cracked its head open with his staff.

"This is happening with any spell cast near the Academy," Master Durgan explained. "They change into a Summoning spell. The greater the magic, the greater the demon summoned. The first summonings had been particularly destructive since the mages had tried to defend themselves with magic, which only made things worse."

1) I asked to see Archmage Lacius.
2) I experimented by casting various spells.
3) I went immediately to the large Academy library and began researching.
4) I apologized to Master Durgan, saying that I didn't know what to do either.
5) I told the doorkeeper that it was his problem and not mine.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:23:27 pm by Un67 »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2015, 05:17:31 pm »

2), It'll probably give us an indication of how strong we are, and might raise our summoning too.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2015, 05:34:52 pm »

2), It'll probably give us an indication of how strong we are, and might raise our summoning too.
Quite reckless. +1
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 26, 2015, 05:45:06 pm »

I find it funny that we could probably kick the butt of any demon we summon.... So

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2015, 06:24:40 pm »

I find it funny that we could probably kick the butt of any demon we summon.... So

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2015, 06:40:20 pm »

Each spell I cast was instantly turned into a Summoning spell. I was careful to use only low-level magic since the Summoning was proportional to the magic used. Stewart was kept busy dispatching each demon that was inadvertently summoned.

I left the Academy to cast a Divination spell. (Needs 35 Divination)

It worked well. My magical sight wavered before my eyes and soon I saw a golden apple in one of the Master's rooms. I returned to the Academy and went to the room that I'd seen in my vision.
(Divination +15)

I opened the door to the Master's room and saw the Golden Apple of Discord sitting on the bed. There was no question that it was this artifact that was causing all of our troubles.

1) I smashed the apple against the wall.
2) I blackmailed Master Durgan, demanding a large reward for the solution to his problem.
3) I hid the apple somewhere even better, knowing that it would bring down the Academy.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:23:40 pm by Un67 »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2015, 06:44:14 pm »

Awe, we can't steal it for ourselves? Lame.
I guess we break it then. 1

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 26, 2015, 07:33:55 pm »

So... lets see the options

1) The Right thing to do
2) Doing an incredibly evil action for profit
3) Doing a even MORE evil action for no reason other then we are evil MWAHAHAHAAA!

Also you know I was pretty worried that the game would SORT OF start inflating the skill checks for no real reason other then "the game is getting tougher"... But uhhh... I think MAYBE the divination check should be a bit higher.

I am going with...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 26, 2015, 07:51:25 pm »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:00 pm »

Max avatar size is 80x80

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 26, 2015, 08:28:37 pm »

The apple struck the wall, and time seemed to distort. The pieces fell slowly to the ground, glowing as they drifted through the air. I watched as the shards slowly lost their glow and realized immediately that the curse had been lifted.
(Mage Guild +10)

The door to the room opened, and the owner of the apple walked in. I recognized Master Ballin, although he had never taught me during my time at the Academy.

"What is the meaning of this?" he exclaimed.

"I destroyed your artifact," I informed him bluntly. "Why did you do it?"

Master Ballin gave a deep sigh before he spoke. "The Academy is corrupt. I should be Archmage, but instead they picked Lacius. It's ridiculous—he has no vision and avoids making the decisions that could make the Academy a place of legend."

"So yes, I poisoned the fool and activated the Apple of Discord. Once the Academy was in ruins, I was going to come to the rescue and be named the new Archmage."

1) I attempted to take him to Master Durgan.
2) I decided to blackmail him in return for not turning him in.
3) I let him go.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:23:54 pm by Un67 »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:27 pm »

Destroying a school is not how you usually improve a school.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »

Seriously what is with these binary actions?

1) Not being incredibly stupid or evil
2) Being incredibly evil
3) Being incredibly evil AND stupid

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 85