Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 85

Author Topic: Let's Choose in Life of a Wizard!  (Read 68323 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Life of a Wizard!
« Reply #810 on: January 30, 2015, 10:26:18 am »

Is this really still the bay12 forum ???  (well, we prefered learning about Nature over Smithing and are bros with the treelovers, so probably not)

Hey, we're not racist against elves here.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 30, 2015, 11:58:06 am »

Just putting this out there Taking over the world and bringing peace require the exact same things its just the end result that is different

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 30, 2015, 01:47:27 pm »

Just putting this out there Taking over the world and bringing peace require the exact same things its just the end result that is different

We benefit greatly in one and not the other, though.

Nothing to say we can't bring peace once we have everything IN OUR IRON GRIP under control.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 30, 2015, 02:14:15 pm »

Yeah, we benefit greatly in the one where we retire quietly in a Golden Age.  Running the world is a LOT of freakin work, non-overlords really don't appreciate the sacrifice we're offering to make here...

Oh, and choice 2 btw :D

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 30, 2015, 03:12:13 pm »

I had a lot of work before me. I would need to strengthen every aspect of the kingdom and then raise my relationships with the three guilds in order to strengthen my own position. When I was ready, I would have King Travis declare war on the other nations and conquer the entire land.

I moved into Fraledan's wizard tower, which rose from the center of the royal castle. My wife Hermann moved in with me. Harold loved living in the royal castle, as it was like an enormous playground for an eight-year-old. The view from the top was amazing. It would take me several years to move Fraledan's belongings out, but it was truly a great place for a practitioner of the arts.

My first weeks in the tower were filled with restless nights, as many thoughts flooded through my mind.

The Kingdom of Daria was in shambles: the taxation system was brutal, the other nations hated us, the lands were lawless, and everything was in need of repair. The first day that I saw the royal treasury, I nearly cried—it was almost empty. The rumors that King Gareth had been hoarding his money were completely false. King Travis and I were in great trouble.

King Travis was eager to follow my every suggestion. (Needs 75 Royal Family)
King Travis listened to my words and grudgingly did as I asked him.

King Travis knew that he would need my knowledge in order to be a good king. There was a lot to be done if we were going to save Daria. Unfortunately, he didn't go out of his way to make my job easier.

(So now we get into the kingdom management portion of the game. Basically, there are several aspects of the kingdom that we will need to improve if we want to conquer the world. Each aspect has a rating, and going from worst to best the ratings are Terrible, Poor, Tolerable, Good, and Excellent. To conquer the world, we're going to need every aspect to be rated at Good at the very least, however having several Excellent ratings will make doing so much easier.

Now, how do we improve these aspects? The primary way to do so is through applying your knowledge skills in this recurring choice. Depending on your skill level, you will be able to bring up a particular aspect to a certain rating. Though I can't say how exactly the skill level is related to the rating, I do know that skills maxed out at 100% will allow us to bring the associated aspect of the kingdom directly up to Excellent, so we should improve those aspects whenever possible. However, once you've chosen what to improve, you're immediately brought to the next choice, so we can only improve one aspect this way at a time.

There is one more thing you can do in this choice screen, however, which hiring advisors, each of whom cost 5000 gold to hire. You can hire has many advisors you want before you improve an aspect of the kingdom, however there will be other way to spend that money in the game, so there is a definite trade off. I would say that this early on in the game, there isn't much point in hiring advisors, so I won't list it as an option for now, though we may need to later on. Also, our decisions at various points of the game might improve some of the aspects, though we can't really plan for that in advance. With all that out of the way, here's our initial report:)

KINGDOM REPORT:
Tax System: Terrible
Agriculture and Farming: Terrible
Foreign Relations: Terrible
Kingdom Defense: Terrible
Kingdom Faith: Terrible
Culture and Education: Terrible
Infrastructure: Terrible
Ecology: Terrible

Improve the Tax System. (Current Economics Skill: 20)
1) Improve Agriculture and Farming. (Current Agriculture Skill: 35)
2) Improve Foreign Relations. (Current Diplomacy Skill: 100)
3) Improve Kingdom Defense: Soldiers and guards. (Current Warcraft Skill: 100)
4) Improve Kingdom Faith: Temples and shrines. (Current Religion Skill: 90)
5) Improve Culture and Education. (Current History Skill: 85)
6) Improve Infrastructure: Roads, bridges, public buildings, etc. (Current Geography Skill: 57)
7) Improve Ecology: Mines, sawmills, fishing, etc. (Current Nature Skill: 100)
8) I took some time off for myself, doing nothing to improve the kingdom.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:10:09 pm by Un67 »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 30, 2015, 03:22:45 pm »

We need to shore up our borders against organized aggression. Bettering the kingdom is nearly pointless if another group simply comes in and sacks the place. Or kills us.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 30, 2015, 03:24:44 pm »

2 is improving Foreign Relations, did you mean 3, which is Kingdom Defense? I guess both sort of have the same result, though.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 30, 2015, 03:34:56 pm »

2 is improving Foreign Relations, did you mean 3, which is Kingdom Defense? I guess both sort of have the same result, though.
I might have gone 3 but that still might not prevent a war so 2 is probably the better option. Unless our new friends then get into trouble and ask for help...

Worth the risk though.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 30, 2015, 03:35:24 pm »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 30, 2015, 03:44:50 pm »

2!
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »

2 Foreign Relations
Max avatar size is 80x80

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 30, 2015, 05:52:18 pm »

We've just started our reign of world domination, and the kingdom's in horrible shape, so yeah, making sure we don't get attacked, at least not yet, seems like a good idea.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 30, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »

Logically we'd want to do 2, 3, and 7, since those are the low hanging fruit. I doubt the order matters much, but 2 is fine to start. Maybe 7 affects the treasury? It might be good to do that early as well.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:40 pm »

It wasn't just the elf, dwarf, and orc nations that needed to be dealt with. There were also the barbarian clans to the north, the mariner nation to the east, and the desert empire of Jilal to the south. Formal treaties, better tariff laws, increased trade, and solid borders meant safety from foreign invasion as well as increased gold for the royal treasury.
(Kingdom Faction +20)

My first job was to speak with the guilds. They were Daria's strongest internal organizations, especially considering the state of the royal army and royal guard. I went to the Thieves Guild first becaues I needed to get them to stop their activities for a few years, just long enough to get Daria out of its economic slump.

I used my contacts within the Thieves Guild. (Needs 30 Thief Faction)
I talked the Thieves Guild into laying low for a few years. (Needs 50 Personality)
I attempted to eradicate the Thieves Guild from existence.
I had no idea how to get the Thieves Guild to back down.

I explained to the Guildmaster exactly what my situation was, being very upfront and honest. His biggest concern was getting jobs for his members. I offered scouting positions in my armies and suggested they ply their trade on other criminals and foreign nations. I was forced to make a few concessions, but the Guildmaster eventually took the offer in return for personal amnesty at the end of his thieving career.
(Economics +15, Thieves Guild +15)

The next stop was the Fighters Guild. Their needs were simple: they were hired to the strongest bidder for security and protection. With Daria's guards and army being so weak, I needed their help.

1) I used the Dragonwish.
2) I purchased their services. (Needs 2000 Gold)

I spoke to the Guildmaster. (Needs 25 Fighters Guild Faction)
3) I introduced the draft. (Needs 25 Warcraft)
4) I kidnapped their children and blackmailed them into working for me.
5) I had no idea how to get the Fighters Guild to work for free.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:10:19 pm by Un67 »

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 30, 2015, 06:20:33 pm »

probably 3, though I have know idea which avantages 2 might have (as we have a lot of money, but things might be more expensive now)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 85