Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where shall the game begin?

Seedy Tavern (the one from TLA, still around)
- 5 (100%)
Omashu
- 0 (0%)
Pancaek's Tea Shop in Republic City
- 0 (0%)
Misty Palms Oasis
- 0 (0%)
Other (post it!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Interest Check & Planning thread - Avatar / Legend of Korra game  (Read 11620 times)

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check & Planning thread - Avatar / Legend of Korra game
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2014, 08:46:29 pm »

I'm starting to think that my Drunken Berserker won't be able to hold up against element bending ninjas, But knowing this forum he'll probably roll a 6 and destroy an entire army,*Knocks On Wood* Hopefully. Anyways so why are we all allies,do we start together, And what if anything is our common enemy?

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2014, 08:51:49 pm »

We're mercs. We don't have a common enemy.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2015, 01:05:07 pm »

Spoiler: Wei Li (click to show/hide)

How's this?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:04:42 pm by Pancaek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2015, 02:18:05 pm »

There are some issues with the timeline. He'd have been 6 when the Earth Queen was assassinated, plunging Ba Sing Se (and the Earth Kingdom) into bloody chaos, and he'd have been 9 when Kuvira reunited the Earth nation, beginning the Earth Empire. While growing up and spending a many years of his adult life (so far) in a military dictatorship probably wouldn't affect the tea shop thing, it would be very, very difficult for him to emigrate from the EE to Republic City, since the two would have been enemies for much of his life. Also, he'd have encountered indoctrination, pressure to join the military, etc.

Given his poor status growing up (especially during those 3 years of chaos and civil war), you'll also have to explain more how he had the means to make gadgets.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: It is possible to have an Airbender character. An event at the end of season 2 of Korra gave a bunch of random non-bending people all over the world airbending. Most of them were recruited into the renewed Air Nation, who act as a neutral peace-keeping force around the world, but not all of them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:23:40 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2015, 02:31:20 pm »

Could Gunther have Very Weak Limited Air-Bending Powers that manifest somewhat randomly during combat scenarios without His Knowledge. For Example Gunther punches a Thug in the Stomach while Raging, And a Small burst of wind catches the Thug off guard a split second before the Punch, The Powers would be very weak in comparison to a trained Air-Benders and he wouldn't know he had them, So he wouldn't fight using the Air Bending as his primary until probably a lot later, Or if he's so berserk that the Air Bending goes crazy. Think the Incredible Hulk, Downscale that 100 times give him limited Wind Manipulation increasing his speed and to an extent his striking power.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2015, 02:37:30 pm »

He seems a bit more of the heavy type, no? Which might make sense for his powers remaining weak, since that's fairly contrary to airbending. But given his past, it would be surprising if he didn't discover his bending sooner.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2015, 02:49:07 pm »

-snip-
Aight, so:

emigrate was perhaps the wrong word. More like escaped. Smuggled. eg. he didn't just leave through the front door, he snuck out.

Indoctrination would be pretty easy to avoid, just smile and nod and be a good earth empire citizen on the outside. And grandma loved the monarchy, so she always told him that kuvira was full of shit. Pressure to join the military would likewise be avoided by being his average, doesn't stick out anywhere self.

And he never made gadgets like the shock gloves from the show. Think more "let me add a small reservoir underneath this tray to collect teaspills" or "I'll slap this spoon and this fork together, then you can stir your tea with and eat your slice of pie". He loves complicated gadgets, but hasn't yet had the oppertunity to make them. Hence 'enthousiast' instead of 'maker'.

Would that work? If you think those arguements are weak I'll just rewrite the character

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2015, 03:05:33 pm »

Granny would probably have wound up in a Re-education camp, but the rest of it sounds fine. Getting someone out of the EE from Ba Sing Se would probably be almost like getting someone out of NK. Difficult and dangerous but not impossible. That would be quite an adventure in his past. He also has a few years in Republic City before the game begins that he could have started working on more sophisticated tinkering.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2015, 03:10:21 pm »

OK, So when will we start, Also if your debating over what roll system you should use why not just alternate between using a d6 and d20 ?

Also just had a funny RP idea, Gunther considers Air-Benders to be pathetic scheming cowards and as such disdains them, Imagine the look on his face upon realizing that he's an Air-Bender.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »

"Sure thing officer, just grab my senile, harmless grandma everyone in district grew up around. That isn't going to cause riots."

I just like to imagine everyone looking out of their windows as two cops try to take the nice grandma from the teahouse, jeering at them to leave the harmless old lady alone.

And yeah, the whole escape from opressive regime thing seemed like a nice change of pace from the normal 'my parents were killed' backstory.

I'm still debating if I shouldn't make him a bender after all. I'm just concerned that non-benders won't be able to do much against enemies who can.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2015, 03:31:03 pm »

Kuvira has lots of non-benders in her army. They tend to be in power-armor/mechs, though. Aside from vehicles, there are fighting skills and gadgets. Being someone who has the ninja-flippy skills to chi-block should go a long way.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2015, 03:34:57 pm »

True. So, is the backstory okay now?

And when are we going to start this? I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts if you're stuck on something, for what it's worth.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2015, 03:42:53 pm »

The major obstacle remaining is the rolling system, which hasn't been discussed much. Aside from that is time constraints, since the break is coming to an end (and I have a few other things in other projects to do before it does). Should be getting started in 1-2 weeks.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »

Hey pancaek can we use your Tea Shop as our base of Operations?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2015, 04:01:20 pm »

Hey pancaek can we use your Tea Shop as our base of Operations?
That was what I was going for, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12