Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Connecting Landmasses  (Read 11069 times)

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
Connecting Landmasses
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:23:58 pm »

Hiyanoodles.

I started a new world, looked around, and noticed there were a couple of places where the tips of two different continents were close enough to fit into one map tile.

I was wondering if it's possible to embark in such a place, and then build a really big bridge to connect the continents and then there is trade between those continents.

I'm going to SCIENCE! this and post my results as Soon™ as possible.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting Landmasses
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:48:23 pm »

Yes. Is completely possible, and been attempted in an embark of 16x2 map tiles in this thread:
[spoiler]http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93958.1260[spoiler]
Sadly, I think it's dead now.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 01:45:46 am »

You actually don't even need to build any bridge or tunnels. Just having a site that crosses the isthmus is enough to motivate traders and armies to cross, at least in the abstract. Looking too close will drown the caravans ruin the illusion. That was true in 34.11 at least, now that groups have actual positions and are tracked it might not work anymore. You'd get lots of traffic, at least!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:59:17 am »

You actually don't even need to build any bridge or tunnels. Just having a site that crosses the isthmus is enough to motivate traders and armies to cross, at least in the abstract.
While this is true, doing that is 0 Dwarfen und Cheaty like a Goblin claiming that he has created a mug. :P
If its done it needs to be done properly. Meaning proper bridge And tunnel needs to be built. :P

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

I remember reading that civilisations and traders don't follow player built constructions but that might of been fixed.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »

Bridges and constructions don't count as "landmasses," so I doubt that actually does the trick (for merchant/army pathing).  Building the bridge is probably unnecessary (but extremely dorf) and only the "site" status always travel across.  You can still very much cross the bridge with an adventurer though. 

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 03:19:24 pm »

What if the bridge was cast obsidian? Would that alter the map in a way DF understands at a more abstract level?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:16:50 pm »

Bonus fun if you build traps along the bridge so anyone who crosses has to do backflips and dives to escape being hit with giant axe blades...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 02:39:41 am »

What if the bridge was cast obsidian? Would that alter the map in a way DF understands at a more abstract level?
I suspect not, but it would be simple to test along any coast now that magma is always available.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 01:57:15 pm »

Bridges and constructions don't count as "landmasses," so I doubt that actually does the trick (for merchant/army pathing).  Building the bridge is probably unnecessary (but extremely dorf) and only the "site" status always travel across.  You can still very much cross the bridge with an adventurer though.

Aaaaand you could take your companions with you, I imagine. That would be interesting: a bunch of dwarves doing something the rest of their civilization either thinks is impossible or hasn't even thought about doing.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 03:05:48 pm »

You should build a bridge then set up a high speed minecart system to take you from one end to the other. (Setting up a global railway system would be a cool megamegaproject.)
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 03:44:56 pm »

Actually no.  Cast obsidian won't change the "biome" of the area.  To embark you need a single regional tile of non-ocean and non-mountain "biome" present. Neither constructions nor cast obsidian will count.  Furthermore, no player built roads or tunnels will ever be recongized as such on the world map.  They might count as valid tiles to path through if done correctly, but they won't show up on the region map (or generate an event like when an NPC creates them). 

You could still use DFhack to embark on constructed/cast obsidian bridges.  However, I'm still not sure how you would cross the region boundary.  As yet... I have no idea how to build a bridge that spans more than 2 map tiles of water.  You can build a bridge starting from one coast to the map edge on one side.  Then build another from the coast to map edge on the other while casting obsidian against the edge of hte map both times.  However... if there is a third region tile consisting of nothing but water between them and you use DFhack to embark there your dorf's would still drown.  There is no way I know of to "overlap" region tiles while embarking. 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 05:05:14 pm »

Setting up a global railway system would be a cool megamegaproject.

Yes. Yes it would.
First time I've ever had a wish to work on a megaproject.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 05:23:28 pm »

I am imagining Urist McAdventurer, stepping into the "Transit Pod", and getting shot off in the direct-driven continuous stream of rollers and local branch logic plates covering the planet, at break-neck speed.

Theoretically, it would actually work, if all of the sections of the network were "locally simulative" in nature.  (EG, at no point in time while the cart is being moved, is the logic controlling where the cart is going or how it is being powered ever "off screen"-- )

It would be a very complex megaproject. It would run headfirst into the Halting Problem though.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 05:45:41 pm »

I am imagining Urist McAdventurer, stepping into the "Transit Pod", and getting shot off in the direct-driven continuous stream of rollers and local branch logic plates covering the planet, at break-neck speed.

Theoretically, it would actually work, if all of the sections of the network were "locally simulative" in nature.  (EG, at no point in time while the cart is being moved, is the logic controlling where the cart is going or how it is being powered ever "off screen"-- )

It would be a very complex megaproject. It would run headfirst into the Halting Problem though.
"Quick Urist, hop in my minecart!"
*hop*
"ADVENTURE!!!!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4