Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Way to ensure sieges?  (Read 3886 times)

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Way to ensure sieges?
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:15:06 pm »

My past 5 embarks have been painfully boring. With the update that makes armies 'real', seiges (and ambushes, for that matter) have been basically nonexistent. To add insult to injury, I've only experienced a single Kobold thievery incident! Embarking next to warring elven nations... nothing. Embarking next to large goblin civilizations... nothing. Killing eleven diplomats repeatedly... nothing.

Is there a way to make sure my site will be accessible to the seiges or am I stuck with the circus for fun?

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Way to ensure sieges?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:55:17 pm »

Same, I have yet to even see a new siege in the latest version and I've made perfect fortress after fortress, getting old fast... I'm about to try embarking directly next to a goblin fort and see if that might work.

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »

Please let me know if that works. I embarked just a few squares from a large Dark Fortress and I hadn't had any luck.

I miss my little green buddies...  :'(

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:22:29 pm »

Rather than killing the diplomats, it might be better to let them leave and arrange a tree cutting limit, then go over it. Since 0.40 it can be reAlly difficult to cut down the around 100 tress they allow, but just remember to use the caverns and maybe save up some trees for a year.

Might not cause many elven attacks though. I started working on modding in some orcs for the classic purpose of having more stuff to kill. So, you could try adding some additional enemy civs and that would hopefully work.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:40 pm »

This has been frustrating me as well.  I cannot get a siege it seems, no matter what I do.   >:(
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 10:45:13 pm »

If I was reading the map correctly as I was embarking, I made sure to keep myself some fair/considerable distance from any warring factions or hostile territories. Add to it, I made sure to be on an island, that still somehow got merchants to arrive (I won't guarantee my safety here, to be rather blunt) I wanted to just run a place that'll eventually breach Hell, and have it's share of fun to release to the rest of the world in abundance, ushering in a new age. But first, a few personal miniprojects before I revive my air-navy. I'm starting off with a dining hall to rival Wavehandle's. I'll be updating it soon.

Maybe you guys parked in the wrong spot? Find a place likely to have some old dudes yelling at you to stop striking their lawn (necromancers, at least). You did make sure to check the diplomacy of the civilizations as you embark, correct?

EDIT:
Updated map.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:21:40 am by Itnetlolor »

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:01:19 am »

You did make sure to check the diplomacy of the civilizations as you embark, correct?

Yeah, usually I would try pick a civ that was at war with either the Elves or the Goblins and then embark near those civs, but all of my embarks had at-least hostile goblins nearby. Sadly those haven't resulted in anything fruitful.

Also, bravo on the fort!

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:20:41 am »

Yes, I checked the civ screen before embark. Just tried embarking up against the goblins, still no siege. I'm really at a loss here.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 02:15:34 am »

Make sure that you create a lot of wealth.

No army is going to assult a fort if they dont think taht they can get treasures out of it.

Regarding myself, my current fort is still to joung to be assaulted but already now got felt dozens of thiefs.

In short, get the money rolling and you outta get attention.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 02:16:16 am »

**Doublepost, can be deleted**
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:14:12 am by Astrid »

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 03:31:04 am »

I was in the millions, wouldn't that be enough?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 05:16:46 am »

Allright... that smells...
Only idea i have is that they ran out of soldiers or dont have enough to begin with.

Otherwise i'd guess Toady hasnt perfectly balanced that army system yet.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 05:17:07 am »

Allright... that smells...
Only idea i have is that they ran out of soldiers or dont have enough yet to begin with.

Otherwise i'd guess Toady hasnt perfectly balanced that army system yet.

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 01:55:57 pm »

Make sure you smooth everything.

Absolutely everything.

No one is going to besiege you if they can't make a big slip and slide down the halls.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »

A proper siege has a population requirement of 80.
Also, do you trade with the caravans still?

Whilst i doubt it, it may be that the dark fortress you've embarked next to has insufficient goblins to send an attack.

Personally, i always use a very small embark, this limits things a great deal and generally is quite successful in getting attacked.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: [1] 2