Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quality control  (Read 2335 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Quality control
« on: December 28, 2014, 04:30:57 pm »

How would I go about creating a reaction that can take any weapon and raise its quality at least one level? Is this even possible?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Quality control
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 05:01:37 pm »

How would I go about creating a reaction that can take any weapon and raise its quality at least one level? Is this even possible?
Not with raw modding alone, and I'm not sure there's much of a roleplaying justification for such a reaction: it'd be easier to make a similar item of higher quality than to 'fix' an existing one.

That said, I know you can manipulate wear levels with DFHack, I'm pretty sure quality levels could be overwritten as well.  To invoke DFHack from a reaction, you make a Lua script to do what you want, then set up a reaction-trigger in the onload.init file.

Another way is to register an event in Lua, which would probably be easier to identify the item being upgraded:

Code: (improve-thing.lua) [Select]
local event = require "plugins.eventful"

function improveThing(reaction, unit, input_items, input_reagents, output_items, call_native)
-- code to increment the quality of the output_items
end

event.registerReaction("LUA_HOOK_IMPROVE_THING", improveThing)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:07:21 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »

Like Dirst said, such a thing would be trivial with some DFHack Lua-fu. It would be hard to target the item if you did it via reaction-trigger, but I think it could be done trivially with Lua hooks (using eventful).

If I had my DF stuff on this computer I would even code it up for you (but I don't, and I won't be home until sometime after tuesday, and then I won't have internet *sigh*).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:11:18 pm »

That would be a very nice script to have. Reaction accepts any weapon that is not masterwork, levels it up one quality level. I'd put that into MasterworkDF in a heartbeat.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:19:44 pm »

Lua hooks are the way to go in most cases, the number of things they can do that are difficult or impossible to do with reaction-trigger is just INSANE. If you can wait a week or two I'll see what I can do :)

(Don't get me wrong, reaction-trigger is really nice (way better than autoSyndrome anyway), but Lua hooks are more powerful in every possible way)
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:29:57 pm »

That would be a very nice script to have. Reaction accepts any weapon that is not masterwork, levels it up one quality level. I'd put that into MasterworkDF in a heartbeat.
I know that reaction-trigger is 0.40-only (and it doesn't even pass a reference to the reaction's products).  I'm not sure about the eventful Lua hook, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was as well.

Items have a .item_quality characteristic which is a simple integer that can be manipulated.  Something like

Code: [Select]
local event = require "plugins.eventful"

function improveThing(reaction, unit, input_items, input_reagents, output_items, call_native)
    local upgradeItem
    upgradeItem = output_items[1]

if upgradeItem.item_quality < 6 then
        upgradeItem.item_quality = upgradeItem.item_quality + 1
    end
end

event.registerReaction("LUA_HOOK_IMPROVE_THING", improveThing)

Can't actually run this right now, so be sure to check the output_items object before doing anything drastic.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 07:09:42 pm »

Didn't expect this much actual feedback, this is awesome  :)

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:01 pm »

If you don't want to rely on DFHack, you could use the neat little trick given to us in this latest version, Toad be praised.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This will use up any stone or metal weapon and produce a copy, potentially with a different quality level.
Now, I personally use this for adventure mode, but you could pretty easily put it into Fortress mode.
It's not guaranteed to raise the quality level, but a low-qual weapon honed by an expert worker will almost certainly improve.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:30:50 pm »

Dirst's code was almost exactly what I would have used (and yes, it will work for 34.11).

Not 100% sure if it will work without testing it, but it should work just fine.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 09:48:22 pm »

If you don't want to rely on DFHack, you could use the neat little trick given to us in this latest version, Toad be praised.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This will use up any stone or metal weapon and produce a copy, potentially with a different quality level.
Now, I personally use this for adventure mode, but you could pretty easily put it into Fortress mode.
It's not guaranteed to raise the quality level, but a low-qual weapon honed by an expert worker will almost certainly improve.
This mightve been what I was initially looking for, does this use a stone and does it work in fort mode? I might make a grindstone workshop that uses oil as a reagent.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 10:07:12 pm »

ROCK is little stone picked up off the ground in ADV mode, use BOULDER for fortress mode (assuming you want to use a hunk of stone), other than that you will want to replace ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED with a BUILDING tag (and unless you want to randomly want to lose your weapon change the "95" to "100").

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 11:12:49 pm »

The script you are looking for already exists, see here
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135597.0
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 11:21:42 pm »

That effects the currently equipped weapon, not really suitable for use in a fortress mode reaction.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 05:53:23 am »

item-imbue - changes the material of an item with a reaction
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 06:53:44 am »

We are talking about changing the quality not the material.
Pages: [1] 2