Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack 0.40.23 PRINT_MODE  (Read 7201 times)

Lasitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFHack 0.40.23 PRINT_MODE
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:39:08 am »

0.40.22 works for me, but when updating to 0.40.23, I'm getting this:

Resetting textures
stonesense: Only PRINT_MODE:2D is supported on OS X
Plugin /Applications/Macnewbie/Dwarf Fortress/hack/plugins/stonesense.plug.dylib has failed to initialize properly.

Changing to 2D does start up, but is rubbish for the graphics packs, who mostly want PRINT_MODE:TWBT.  I see the error print in main.cpp for stonesense, but for some reason this is never hit for 0.40.22.

Note: Both versions are using what is currently in DFHack/df-structures/master with lethosor/df-structures/sidebar-modes-pr and DFHack/dfhack/develop with lethosor/dfhack/0.40.22-plugins

I realize this isn't a release, just reporting my findings and wondering if anyone has come across this error before on OSX using a graphics pack.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:50:13 am by Lasitus »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.40.23 PRINT_MODE
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:08:08 pm »

That change to Stonesense was made back in 0.40.19, I believe, since danaris and I have both seen consistent crashes, system lockups, and kernel panics when using Stonesense when DF is using an OpenGL-enabled print mode (i.e. anything other than 2D, 2DSW, 2DASYNC, etc.). It's possible that Stonesense is failing to load entirely in 0.40.22, but there shouldn't be any difference between the two versions.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Lasitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 10:54:40 pm »

Hmm, CLA worked fine for me in the 0.40.19 release version of Macnewbie as well.  I didn't see an option in the dfhack.init to turn stonesense off or mention of that ability on the readme.  I don't use stonesense, so I would much rather have the graphics pack.  I tried "disable stonesense" and "stonesense disable" in dfhack.init, but it didn't work.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 11:00:48 pm »

I don't quite understand what's your problem. Doesn't it start at all with PRINT_MODE other than 2D? That message about stonesense should be harmless, but if it somehow prevents the game from starting, you can just delete stonesense plugin file since you don't need it.

However, TWBT doesn't support 0.40.23 yet, so PRINT_MODE:TWBT will not work anyway at the moment.

Lasitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:43:59 pm »

That was it... TWBT must be the reason it didn't start.  I had assumed the reason for not starting was that print, since it was the last print before going down (and therefore only tried 2D and TWBT.)  I was thinking why error out of the game for something like that...  I changed it to standard, got the game to start in a reasonable view.  (2D seemed only playable on the ASCII tileset.)  The message still happened, but it started in standard mode.

Thanks for the help.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:36:29 am »

(2D seemed only playable on the ASCII tileset.)  The message still happened, but it started in standard mode.
Please elaborate. All packs are set up so they work best in twbt mode, but fall back to 2D mode if twbt is absent. If they don't work right I need to fix that.

The launcher loads the default print mode from data/init/init.txt, and keeps this setting if you load a different pack. In case you mixed 40.19 dfhack with 40.2x (as I understand?) this is a side effect... Twbt print_mode is only avaliable if the launcher detects the plugin, and the plugin needs to be recompiled for every version, using a new symbols.xml is not enough to make it work. To get rid of the print mode you can delete hack/plugins/twbt.plug.dylib.
BTW: make sure you don't use the keyboard layouts from .19 with .2x, they have changed significantly, the graphic packs should be ok, only minor changes there.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 09:47:39 am »

(2D seemed only playable on the ASCII tileset.)  The message still happened, but it started in standard mode.
Please elaborate. All packs are set up so they work best in twbt mode, but fall back to 2D mode if twbt is absent. If they don't work right I need to fix that.
PRINT_MODE:TWBT should fall back to STANDARD, actually.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 10:28:34 am »

And STANDARD has some weird bugs (for example pressing F11 will crash DF on my system).

It's really too bad DF doesn't have better graphics code.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:34:55 am »

I find STANDARD to be fairly stable, actually. What version of SDL are you using?

Lasitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 10:37:02 am »

In 2D mode, the CLA and Phoebus pack (all I tried) started as a tiny fraction of the window and the rest was white.

The launcher loads the default print mode from data/init/init.txt, and keeps this setting if you load a different pack. In case you mixed 40.19 dfhack with 40.2x (as I understand?) this is a side effect... Twbt print_mode is only avaliable if the launcher detects the plugin, and the plugin needs to be recompiled for every version, using a new symbols.xml is not enough to make it work. To get rid of the print mode you can delete hack/plugins/twbt.plug.dylib.

Yes, I am running Macnewbie 40.19 with 40.23 dropped in and a dfhack and Dwarf Therapist compiled with updates for 0.40.23.  I don't mind selecting standard, but thanks for the tips.

BTW: make sure you don't use the keyboard layouts from .19 with .2x, they have changed significantly, the graphic packs should be ok, only minor changes there.

This is good to know, thanks.  So you are saying just don't select Macnewbie key bindings right?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 11:09:38 am »

In 2D mode, the CLA and Phoebus pack (all I tried) started as a tiny fraction of the window and the rest was white.
Oh, this is a known problem with retina displays.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 11:14:58 am »

I find STANDARD to be fairly stable, actually. What version of SDL are you using?

Whatever came with the Windows version of DF (it may be a Windows only thing, and other OpenGL games work fine so it's probably not my graphics card).

Other than locking up when switching from windowed to full screen it works fine. (well, TWBT makes the whole screen go black when a DFHack GUI element is displayed unless I use the legacy mode, but that is probably not related?)
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 11:34:42 am »

Wait, switching to full screen crashes for you with PRINT_MODE:STANDARD but works with TwbT?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 12:03:59 pm »

This is good to know, thanks.  So you are saying just don't select Macnewbie key bindings right?
Don't use any of the keybinds that are displayed in the launcher, customize the default that comes with 40.2x.

Oh, this is a known problem with retina displays.
Thx lethosor for the explanation. In that case: Retina Display Manager (or whatever the name is) is included with the utilities.

Other than locking up when switching from windowed to full screen it works fine. (well, TWBT makes the whole screen go black when a DFHack GUI element is displayed unless I use the legacy mode, but that is probably not related?)
That sounds suspiciously like the SDL fullscreen bug. I thought that was a *nix problem only.
-Nope, there's a bug report already for windows too. And twbt shouldn't work in fullscreen if standard has problems...
Going black is a workaround that mifki uses to cover up some display artifacts: afaik twbt can't distinguish between the map and the dfhack text display, so everything would get displayed with the text font, which can be very ugly depending on the difference between the map and text tileset.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:09:41 pm by fricy »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 12:21:10 pm »

It works fine in full-screen, but only if you start it full-screen and never change to windowed mode. Alt+Tab works fine, but F11 locks up (or more correctly it won't redraw).

STANDARD, TWBT, and TWBT_LEGACY all are exactly the same for me except the DFHack GUI problem with TWBT.