Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Legendary Training Weapons and Training Shields  (Read 5778 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Training Weapons and Training Shields
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 11:44:44 am »

You can set them to use equipment only of certain material, and training weapons are made of wood, so if you set them to use steel the dwarves will drop their beloved "Pointy Stick of Fluffyness", because it's made of wood.it applies to everything,  but they will keep a named item over a better quality one if it's made from the same material (say, a +steel short sword+ over a *steel short sword*, because the prior is named)

Manual assigning still sounds better to me, since I can replace named items with better quality items.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 11:52:52 am »

I once one shot someone with a wooden training axe and no axe skill in adventurer mode. I think it was a human and it could have been nodded, but the mods would have been irrelevant. Copper is still better though, that's just a strange story. Also training weapons definitely have a use. Embark points are very limited and using them on weapons when you could outfit a full squad with wooden weapons and shields in an in-game month is a waste when you're not going to need to use those weapons for probably over two in-game years.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »

Also training weapons definitely have a use. Embark points are very limited and using them on weapons when you could outfit a full squad with wooden weapons and shields in an in-game month is a waste when you're not going to need to use those weapons for probably over two in-game years.
You could bring ore along on embark instead. 9 points for one piece of tetrahedrite that makes four or five weapons.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 02:11:35 pm »

You could bring ore along on embark instead. 9 points for one piece of tetrahedrite that makes four or five weapons.
Exactly. I usually bring stuff to make a couple of steel short swords, since they are very versatile.(two flux stone, iron ore, bituminous coal...)
In a time before time, I had a name.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 10:40:48 pm »

I once one shot someone with a wooden training axe and no axe skill in adventurer mode. I think it was a human and it could have been nodded, but the mods would have been irrelevant. Copper is still better though, that's just a strange story. Also training weapons definitely have a use. Embark points are very limited and using them on weapons when you could outfit a full squad with wooden weapons and shields in an in-game month is a waste when you're not going to need to use those weapons for probably over two in-game years.
You know it never occurred to me that training weapons are terrible compared to real weapons, but you shouldn't be comparing them against real weapons. Training weapons are vastly better than fists and teeth, even if they can't hold a candle to even copper swords.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 11:38:55 pm »

The problem with assigning specific weapons is that when you make a better weapon you then have to manually switch the weapon the dwarf is told to equip. It's a bit of a hassle, and a simple assignment of "metal" weapons would keep them from using their legendary stick in battle.

Not to say they can't kill someone with a stick, there are certainly times in real life a person has done lethal damage to someone else using a wooden sword or blunt wood axe, but they are pretty weak compared to metal weapons...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 11:45:27 pm »

You know it never occurred to me that training weapons are terrible compared to real weapons, but you shouldn't be comparing them against real weapons. Training weapons are vastly better than fists and teeth, even if they can't hold a candle to even copper swords.

nope.  Ill take a biting, scratching, kicking, and grappling dwarf to one with a wooden training axe any day
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 11:12:57 am »

what about wooden hammers? woo can serve for blunt weapons? (glumprong maybe?)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 11:21:44 am »

Those should exist but don't for some reason. Wooden clubs (probably similar to baseball bats) certainly were common weapons in ye olden times since making a club out of wood was cheap and using a club was much deadlier than punching things... though I'm not sure how effective wood would be as a blunt weapon in Dwarf fortress...

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 11:25:19 am »

Those should exist but don't for some reason. Wooden clubs (probably similar to baseball bats) certainly were common weapons in ye olden times since making a club out of wood was cheap and using a club was much deadlier than punching things... though I'm not sure how effective wood would be as a blunt weapon in Dwarf fortress...

well if blunt damage takes material density into consideration, then the most dense of wood types could be used.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 11:36:57 am »

Wooden clubs could be of use to a primitive dwarf. Dense wood should increase the force of a blow.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 11:23:42 pm »

The only real uses to training weapons currently are for exploits and stopgaps. And you don't really need the exploits. Even a no-points embark could be survived with a little luck without using the wooden ax exploit. Just use the three wood from the wagon to form a hunting camp that can process animals and arm your hunters.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 12:26:45 am »

I had a dwarven spearmaster give a name to this bronze spear - I'm not even sure where he got that thing, I didn't  build it.  Anyway, so I specified that he had to use a steel spear, and forgot about it.

About a year or two later, I realized that he now had a steel spear *strapped to his back* and he was still using that stupid bronze spear....  So the equip screen doesn't always work for some reason ... :/
hamster cheese supplies are low

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 12:38:52 am »

I had a dwarven spearmaster give a name to this bronze spear - I'm not even sure where he got that thing, I didn't  build it.  Anyway, so I specified that he had to use a steel spear, and forgot about it.

About a year or two later, I realized that he now had a steel spear *strapped to his back* and he was still using that stupid bronze spear....  So the equip screen doesn't always work for some reason ... :/

LOL
Make him a miner then forbid the bronze spear.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 06:55:10 am »

Just unassign the bronze spear manually, and equip the steel one.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 [2] 3