Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Legendary Training Weapons and Training Shields  (Read 5779 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Training Weapons and Training Shields
« on: December 28, 2014, 05:05:02 am »

So some of my army guys named their training weapons. This was before I got iron/bronze weapons and shields. Now considering the fact that they are all legendary at their weapons and legendary shield users, are there any possible reasons to prefer these sticks over bronze or even copper weapons and shields?

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Training Weapons and Training Shields
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 05:29:53 am »

None whatsoever. Training weapons are only useful for... training, be it sparring or bludgeoning naked prisoners.

AFAIK, named weapons don't even get any stat boosts.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:38:57 am »

Training weapons are kinda useless right now. They were added to stop the lethal sparring back then (i remember hilarity due to 40d sparring), but now that sparring is nonlethal, they are only useful for danger rooms or weak traps.

The danger is having dwarves get attached to training weapons, and it is omnipresent. You should be able to remove them from their equipment and destroy them, but it is a hassle.

I always go for iron weapons first.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:17:30 am »

Well it took me a while to find copper on this map.
 So maybe training weapons are for those who don't have metals in hand.
And you can fell trees with a training axe.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:44:50 am »

And you can fell trees with a training axe.
I wonder when Toady get around to fixing that. It's ridiculous to have an axe made out of wood to cut through trees.
._.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:58:53 am »

As well as making wooden axes useless, I would like to see felling axes and battle axes differentiated. Felling axes were usually heavier than battle axes, better for chopping trees but less useful in battle. An axe could be used for the other role, but it would be less effective. The same could be done for mining picks and war picks.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 07:36:57 am »

spend 44 urists on bringing 2x copper swords to the embark. If you can afford it, 2x silver warhammers (180). Or just bring copper/iron bars/ore.

If you don't buy iron from the first dwarf caravan, you're likely going to have them use their copper.
I'm a little bit of a cheater myself and will often just change any weapons they've named into masterwork steel.

On a side note, wooden shields are a GOOD thing, unless they're not masterwork.
Basically in wood they weigh less so can run faster, but the blocking remains the same. The only downside is occasionally they will bash things with their shield, which is unaffective with wood.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 07:40:03 am »

If you remove the dwarf from the military (maybe just off duty, with no uniform will work) he will drop his weapon, then just make sure to make it impossible to reach (use it as a build item, drop it in magma, etc)
Congratulations they will now use a different weapon.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:13:21 am »

Or you can assign them a specific weapon in military equipment -menu and they'll use it instead of the "Pointy Stick of Fluffyness".

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:56:05 am »

Always assign every piece of a dwarf's equipment manually. Using any of that uniforms nonsense is just asking for Urist Idiotsoldier to make a mess of it.

Avoid training weapons altogether, they are useless now sparring is safe.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 11:03:14 am »

If you know how to use the uniform screen, you'll never need to assign things individually.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 11:10:36 am »

How can I be sure that dwarves are all using the best possible equipment by using the uniform screen?

For old times' sake.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 11:15:49 am »

You can set them to use equipment only of certain material, and training weapons are made of wood, so if you set them to use steel the dwarves will drop their beloved "Pointy Stick of Fluffyness", because it's made of wood.it applies to everything,  but they will keep a named item over a better quality one if it's made from the same material (say, a +steel short sword+ over a *steel short sword*, because the prior is named)
In a time before time, I had a name.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 11:21:07 am »

spend 44 urists on bringing 2x copper swords to the embark. If you can afford it, 2x silver warhammers (180). Or just bring copper/iron bars/ore.

that can be done increasing the number of embark points in worldgen.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 11:30:54 am »

I'd say just don't let them have one weapon for long. Keep a weaponsmith popping out weapons.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3