Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Democracy (Interest Check)  (Read 1924 times)

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
Dwarven Democracy (Interest Check)
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:19:55 am »

An idea was presented a while back in the Nevertaxed thread. This idea was that instead of the usual "first-come, first-served" method that succession games usually run by, the overseer that would take care of the fortress for each year would be elected by popular vote. I had been having a similar idea for a while, but never decided to go for it and start a fortress. Given that at least one other person had the idea, I've decided to try to make it a reality. If at least a few people want to participate in a democratic fortress, I feel that it would go really well. If you're interested in participating, please respond and we'll see if we can get this started!

Original Idea Below:
With so many named members, it would be interesting to have in-forum campaigns for "the next Mayor".  A Mayor would be the person elected to lead the town for the next year (ie: take a turn).  Candidates would have to present campaign promises to the forum and participate in back-room deals (AKA Private Massages) that would then be posted to the forum after the new Mayor's election.  This would certainly be an entertaining interlude for those of us reading this game without (yet) participating in a direct manner.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

VoxieG

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember me, friends?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Democracy (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:26:11 am »

This sounds interesting. I'll certainly participate, if this gets started.

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:59:30 am »

I think this would be an interesting idea. I have looked at many succession fortresses, and generaly there are a few good players, some moderate ones, a terrible one or two, and one or two that think they are great, but really tear the fortress apart.

If this idea would work well though, everyone should get one year of play before the voting starts, that way people can more easily tell what type of player they are voting for.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 01:55:37 am »

Might take a while depending on how many players there will be.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:02:57 am »

Hello!

When I suggested this, the idea was to dorf each forum candidate first.  Thing is, since everyone who wants a turn is also dorfed, then the first Player might be chosen as Player #0 (Expedition Leaders aren't mayors), who then takes their one week turn.  During that one week, everyone else who wants to be Mayor for the next term starts making campaign promises and deals with other dorfed players in return for support - a Player would have to be nominated for instance, by another Player to even get into the race in the first place.  After the week has started running down, everybody votes for the three other Players in order of most to least important for who should be mayor for the next turn - this is tricky because you never get to vote for yourself, encouraging special deals and promises to specific dwarves, which in turn creates rivalries and grudges with the ones who get edged out.

Of course, whatever the outcome, dorfed Players have another week to contest for who gets the next votes, and the one playing their turn has to fulfill all the campaign promises or be excluded from being a representative for a certain number of turns.  (Sorta what I'd like to do to the dishonest politicians in RL).

Lets see who can please all the people most of the time...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:06:17 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:07:36 am »

I like this for the idea that you can still "play" even while waiting a week+ for the next election.. And of course, DF being what it is, disaster will strike and the current mayor blamed by his competition. It's simply inevitable that some mayor will create a design flaw (on purpose or otherwise) that future administrations can be blamed for. Good luck meeting your personal promises when the other mayors are actively sabotaging your productivity, even if it'll hurt their job in the long run.

Just like real politics! But with magma!

Yeah, I'd be interested.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:42:15 am »

when (not if) this fort is started, i'd like to be dorfed, but never run for mayor.
sounds awesome.

starting 7, strongext, toughest specimen assigned as a bodyguard to the mayor somehow.
name of 'spartansanity'
shield and pike/spear
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:45:34 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

VoxieG

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember me, friends?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 05:09:40 am »

when (not if) this fort is started, i'd like to be dorfed, but never run for mayor.
Good, you can be my campaign manager.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 04:33:09 am »

any ETA on the fort?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

DwarfVsObsidianWall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »

This sounds... interesting. Not sure how I'd get elected though, what with my doomsday device's plan. Count me in.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »

I like this idea and would like to participate. As far as being a dwarf, maybe just a farmer? Yeah, I'll just be a field farmer and herbalist if you set up farmers the same way I do. No other conditions.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 04:59:15 pm »

This intrigues me. Though the only campaign promise I can think of is giving bedrooms to everyone that are actually big enough to lie down in.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 10:24:53 am »

A finely minced roast in every bedroom!  Private statues in every room!  Everydwarf will be treated like the proto-royalty(TM) we all know you are - free job counceling and a private security force ready to protect YOU from the ravages of the outside world!  Welcome to Megacomplex Alpha, Citizen!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 03:23:29 pm »

A 100% safe mist generator for the meeting area, with controls to turn off and re-start again with no more effort than pulling a lever, and no job-cancelation problems with falling water! I will also work towards pumping magma up from the magma sea for the dual purposes of magma smelters/forges and a cast then smoothed obsidian wall to prevent climbers!
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

DwarfVsObsidianWall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 03:54:28 pm »

I will create a foolhardy megaproject involving FBs, captive elves, and water, and do my best to avoid killing half the fortress with my ingenious plan.