Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about magma  (Read 505 times)

LegendaryFishCleaner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about magma
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

So let's say that I'd laid plans for a magma forge before I properly understood the nature of magma, and that I'd used materials for my floodgates which were not magma-proof.  Two part question:

1) will the magma actually melt the floodgate, or will I simply be unable to reseal it after opening it for the magma?

2) if magma will actually destroy floodgates which are not magma safe, how about walls?  If I wall off the tunnel with granite blocks before the magma hits, will that hold back the flow?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about magma
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

1. Unsure, but I believe it will just stop working after opening to the magma. It will be a one-shot gate.

2. Walls are fine. I had magma going down from the roof of my workshop to the floor underneath and that wall was constucted out of clear glass blocks. It looked vey nice and more relevant to the question, did not melt after years of service.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

LegendaryFishCleaner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Thank you!  Perhaps after I get a glassworks going, I'll build a magma viewing chamber out of glass.  I shall dub it the Skank Tank.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

1. The floodgate itself can't be destroyed by magma, but the mechanisms can and will be destroyed by magma when you open the floodgate. Since the mechanism and the floodgate are one and the same, it result in the floodgate being destroyed. Bauxite is the only stone which is magma proof for mechanisms.

2. Walls, built walls, doors and floodgates will all stop magma and will never be destroyed by it. For doors and floodgates, they need to stay closed of course.

I am on a hot streak... literally.