Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Christmas Eve *Fun*  (Read 828 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Christmas Eve *Fun*
« on: December 25, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »

So, the house is all quiet, everyone is asleep but I, so I'm playing dwarf fortress and eating a chocolate orange. 

I was a bit disappointed that the goblins hadn't sieged me that winter, especially with all the work I had put into a new and improved drowning chamber.   But lo, in the middle of summer, a force of darkness shows up - goblins, with a substantial amount of trolls *and* the foulest of them all, an elven recruit! 

I launch into action - the alarm is sounded, dwarves run back inside (little timmy hoisting a barrel takes forever, but he makes it) and the drawbridge slams shut.  At about the same time, I open a secondary drawbridge - a long winding tunnel is now the only path inside the fort.  The goblins fall for it, and start snaking inside.  I move a squad of military dwarves near the alternative entrance, just in case. 

After a while, the goblins are all inside the tunnel (and, unknown to them, drowning chamber) - just in time too, the trolls are moving fast and getting close to entering the fort proper.  I give the order to close a third drawbridge to prevent escape, but nothing happens - aha, that lever is outside the "safe" area designated by the military alert.  I cancel the alert.  A dwarf starts moving - towards the lever I imagine.  Then 2, then 10 - what's going on??!?   

My dwarves are now trying to reach the surface through the snaking tunnel/drowning chamber - ie through a wall of goblins and trolls! 

It did not go well.  I finally managed to activate the drowning chamber, but not before losing a number of dwarves.  I wasn't able to extract all of them from the tunnel.  I lost 14 dwarves that day - and now I have a *ton* of crap to deal with - the belongings of all those dwarves, plus about 75 goblins/trolls...

Alarmingly, I know from previous invasions that the troll fur loincloths will prove very popular with the dwarves...
hamster cheese supplies are low

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Christmas Eve *Fun*
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:02:19 pm »

And so ends the tail of the goblins who tried to steal Christmas. They didn't get far.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:27:09 pm »

I had a dorf walked all the way out of the trapped maze to get a drink from the trade depot. I couldn't even pull him back when I found out what he was doing.

I had to kill him before the elves and goblins got him *pull the lever*

R.I.P. Urist McStupid

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 12:04:14 am »

You could have just extended to boundaries of the burrow. :)